That looks like the shop with the light coloured door !

I can remember a bus stop being installed on the curve in the road (the new road) just below the laundry area.

Also recall the train going over from the GCR yard towards the pit area.

One of my Grandfathers worked at Clifton Colliery, the other at the Railway Goods Yard at the top of Wilford Road.

Smiffy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think we all have a moan now and again don’t we? ….. and I quite like some of RR’s music videos! Perhaps the heat is making us all complain more?   I can ignore bad language as long as i

Perhaps RR you should start your own thread. You could call it WhinersRus, I’m sure you can keep us all enthralled with your foul language, continual moaning, insults and crap music videos...    

Think the sun must have got to a few? All I see is boring nonsensical drivel on here today  here have a token Nottingham post 1947 Wilford Power Station & Clifton Colliery.     

There were a few Smith's at Clifton, one was on our staff as an oiler and greaser on a face.

There was also Dave Smith an electrician who stuttered.

His name was Chris Smith but I am not sure when he retired from the colliery.

As far as I know he worked on the coal face, but I will check if that is correct and which year etc.

I also think he may have retired early due to a lung problem.

He was a big friendly man and I remember that he always seemed to have a cap and white silk scarf.

I have seen a photograph on picture the past showing a view of Colliery Road during 1926.

I'm unsure how to post pictures on here at the moment, perhaps it has already been posted?

Smiffy

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

That photo is definitely Wilford Power Station. I went past there at least once a week during the 60s, 70s, and early 80s. The confusion has arisen because it doesn't show ALL of the building - and it's quite an early photo.

In the early 60s the place had six small chimneys (in the photo) and one large chimney (which is out of sight on the left). Around the mid 60s, the six small chimneys were demolished and replaced by one very large new chimney. So from the mid 60s it only had two chimneys - one large and one very large. Clifton Colliery would be out of sight on the right.

• Like 1

From the Wilford side of the river, looking towards the city. Six small chimneys and one larger one. This is from the 1950s.

sjIKkt2.jpg

Eventually the small chimneys would go, leaving the large one shown here, and one super-big chimney.

• Like 1

Ah, that's how I remember it. The chimney on the right is the 450 footer that I worked on. Not really "super size" power station wise! Castle donnington was 650ft, ratcliffe on soar 625, so just a baby really. Thanks ian for the info.

The pic showing the two chimnies also shows, what I believe are two fishermen near the hot water outlet. One could have been me :biggrin:

We used to catch Bleak near the surface and gudgeon on the bottom. Also the occasional roach and one day a whopping chub.

• Like 1

And the fly ash lagoon was down the left side of the main building about where all them car showrooms are now, all that built up land and across the "Lenton Lane" that was, was built up land,using all dustbin rubbish compacted,no wonder they have methane gas detectors all over the place

Rog

Rog, We used to do maintenance work for Makro on Redfield Road at one time, 24 methane detectors in that store.

To comply with the insurance conditions the 4" gas main was connected using flex couplings to cope the subsidence, after that came a 'dead weight' automatic shut off valve controlled by the monitors and finally a 'shear' joint to protect the shut off valve. Every thing had to be tested and signed off once a month, money for owd rope but monotonous.

About every 5/6 years they had to have the car park up and relay the drains as they had lost the correct fall and were backing up, fortunately not our job but we had to change the flex gas coupling at the same time as it had reached the limit of it's flexibility and was in danger of splitting, started of 6" long last one I fitted was 18" all in less than 20 years.

Don't think they made a very good job of the compacting and any road up they ruined some good duck shooting when they filled that lot in....

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Former Clifton Colliery & Former Wilford Power Station.

I ask if anyone has a clear map showing the sites of Clifton Colliery & Wilford Power Station. I need to have a map that I can establish the land used by these sites with the current situation. Thank you for your assistance 

rambler chris

• 1 year later...

Perhaps RR you should start your own thread. You could call it WhinersRus, I’m sure you can keep us all enthralled with your foul language, continual moaning, insults and crap music videos...    

• Like 3

Brew, I'm only sorry that I can give you but one like. Take an IOU for all the others.  :clapping:

I think we all have a moan now and again don’t we?

….. and I quite like some of RR’s music videos!

Perhaps the heat is making us all complain more?  
I can ignore bad language as long as it’s not aimed towards a person or a particular group of people in a hateful way.  

Can’t we just try and be kind??
Love from a woke snowflake x

• Like 3

Wot heat?? We're sitting amid a bloody thunderstorm ! Bit annoying really as I've just been out earlier to fill all the birds drinking bars.