• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not realy changing subject , but as a teenager we used the Lincoln bound platform waiting room as our hang out . The signal box man didn't mind as we used to borrow his brush to sweep it out every nig

Hardly looks the same bridge? I reckon some 70+? years between the 2 pictures, the latter taken after closure of course

thank you my man! better send another then? new111969je_connorbasford6.jpg

The "greenhouse" (minus glass) was where the stairs came up from Haydn Road, the bridge was in 2 parts, one for up and down and the brick building you can see was t'other side of the bridge, the actual station buildings, waiting room etc was between the green house and the gents toilet in other photo, the signal box was built in a brick walled cutout in the embankment and that cutout still remains in a new house garden

I remember that so well, used to go and watch the trains here - the stationmaster, if I remember correctly, was never keen to have kids littering his platform and always chased us off. The bridge in the distance is Perry Road.

yes me too, there was a woman porter there in my era, think she'd took the job in the war and stayed on also an old boy "grumpy" , more likely him who chased you off? the station master I "knew" had come from Alford, his son was in our class at school, name was chris white, had a sister named francis and they lived in station house. We used to go on perry rd fields and put pennies on the line, also 6" nails which after a train had gone over them turned into throwing knives!

Not realy changing subject , but as a teenager we used the Lincoln bound platform waiting room as our hang out . The signal box man didn't mind as we used to borrow his brush to sweep it out every night and we even put a ball latch on the door so that it stayed closed in the wind !!

We used to wait for "The Royal Mail" to go through then new it was bed time!

• Like 1

wife says she and sisters "moved into" a long term parked guards van as kids , had vases of flowers, got the fire going etc, lol, there was also a crowd in later years who used to spend nights in the carriages down at bulwell common sidings at a time when such would have been seen as a major crime! plus a pirate radio station that blanked out half of sherwood's tv reception was set up in the old station masters house at winchester street in the early 1960's, This Lincoln platform, what station was that?

This Lincoln platform, what station was that?

"Lincoln bound platform" and "Royal Mail" rather infers Carlton station, on the LMR...

Cheers

Robt P,

Yes sorry , forgot that vital piece of information .............. It's me age!!

I hope that you managed to rescue what you could out of that signal box Ashley. We did, I've got boxes of rescued Nottingham related items in the garage that we managed to save before the vandals and the BR bulldozers moved in, sorry, same thing, in some ways they were worse than the vandals, it was a heritage that they inherited and weren't prepared to do anything about, until later when the pound signs flicked up and they opened up Euston Collectors Corner, sorry BR official Pykie rip off centre.

"I hope that you managed to rescue what you could out of that signal box Ashley. We did, I've got boxes of rescued Nottingham related items in the garage"

where do you live? and are you going on holiday at all? lol

...until later when the pound signs flicked up and they opened up Euston Collectors Corner, sorry BR official Pykie rip off centre.

Dunno about that, certainly OK for me...

Bought flame-cut Class 45 plate Royal Corps of Transport from them for £480 - when the prevailing price was around £750. Sold two years back for £8,450...so I ain't complaining!

Cheers

Robt P.

Great pic of New Basford station. Used to hang around there as kids (until told to clear off!) also Perry Road bridge. So sad to see it like this. The preserved GCR stations at Rothley and Quorn are very similar to the layout at New Basford, even down to the gents loo with no roof. Only real diff is that passenger entry at New Basford was up from Haydn Road, not down from an overbridge. It always seemed strange walking up the gloomy stairwell into the "greenhouse" bit at the top, it suddenly became so bright with all the glass and (I think) there were white tiles to make it even lighter. Another memory was the "tinging" bells from the signal cabin when the windows were slid open on hot summer days (which, of course, they always were as a kid!)

Would love to see any more pics if possible.

Do you remember the centre "handrail" on those stairs with brass knobs every so often to stop you sliding down such? and how the gents dor faced away from the rest of the station, for years after the station was shut the old gas lamp above the bricked up entrance on haydn rd remained then one day it vanished! After the line closed track took up etc it was pretty much open to everyone you could walk through the tunnels over the bridges etc, something I did all the way from the rathole to over the trent, even took my lads "rock climbing" aroung perry road and the old good yard

It didn't...that service finished at Victoria Station, although its carriage stock was stored at New Basford sidings...hence the You Tube footage.

Until the 50's trains from London (Marylebone) to Sheffield and Manchester would pass New Basford, on the climb up from the Vic' to points north...

Cheers

Robt P.

That first train you see would have been veering off the GC at Bagthorpe according to the signals displayed, We used to cut through Elton Rd North off Herbert Rd on our way home from Claremont junior school and via some allotments get onto top of the cutting, at least once we actually got down to brickwork of tunnel top which now looks dodgy! after that we'd continue into more allotment before emerging, usually after a chase, on Central Ave known as the short cut, it took about twice as long even if we'd didn't mess around, At dinner time we would hang about or take the short cut but go direct to Central Ave as we'd just be in time to see the up "South Yorkshireman" come through, One day my mate had this "vision" that either a streak or an A3 "Sir something something" (can't recall, at time he was looking at the Erskine Rd sign and said he saw this name) would be pulling it, said the loco was green,all clean and shiny, so off we rushed, and guess what? yes same old shitty filthy black non namer! mind you wish I could see any on the GC nowadays

...One day my mate had this "vision" that either a streak or an A3 "Sir something something"...

Your mate's clairvoyance should have been more respected!

Leicester based A3 60102 Sir Frederick Banbury was certainly a 50's regular on the 'South Yorkshireman' and 'Master Cutler' workings.

Cheers

Robt P.

Annesley

I have every signal box log from the various Annesley signal boxes written out up to the day that they were closed down for the last time, it makes poignant reading and contains all the local shed movements, engine numbers, etc, meticulously written out in freehand.

I could scan a few bits, but I've done this before and sometimes I wonder whether it's appreciated by more than just a handful of people.

I'm wondering what to do with my stuff, I can wander in the garage and I have so many relics, not just from the Nottingham area, but all sorts of things, a used BoB Spitfire gunsight for instance, why should it be sitting in a box in my garage, yes, I could sell everything off on E-Bay and make a bit of cash, but everything I have has a personal tale behind it, but apart from me, who cares, perhaps donate them and have them shoved it behind a glass case in a museum for people to hmmmm and pass by, sad isn't it, but at the moment everything is sitting stored and neglected, including my amazing Hornby Dublo trainset, but what do I do with it, leave it to rot in the loft because I have no space to run it.

Firbeck

Your garage sounds like a real treasure trove! The signal box logs would make fascinating reading - I would have thought the GCR museum in Loughborough would be interested, but understand what you're saying about history being stuffed in a glass case. If you were willing to scan in a few bits I would be interested for one! Certainly wish I'd made loads of notes and taken lots of pictures but as a kid you just don't think to do these things.

Yes certainly remember the old lamp outside New Basford entrance. Also recall an enamel BR station sign (LMR maroon I think) and some big hinged gates that were padlocked when the station was closed. I once remember reading that the gents loo entrance was built to face away from the station in recognition of Victorian morals! Don't know if it's true, but can certainly believe it.

Thanks for the Youtube link - in colour too!

Heres a few extracts for you.

Annesley Number 4 Signal box, note some of the loco numbers:-

scan0093.jpg

Eastwood North Box:-

scan0094.jpg

Hucknall Central Box:-

scan0095.jpg

The staff log from Annesley Yard:-

scan0096.jpg

The station masters log book from Edwalton station, 1913:-

scan0097.jpg

Thought you might be interested.

Many thanks Firbeck, I will print these out. Already spotted a reference to the Dido for the Annesley no.4 box. Amazing to think that every movement was carefully logged in this way.

If I read the Staff Time Book correctly for Annesley Yard then several chaps have put in a 12 hour shift. Not sure this would be allowed these days!