• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not realy changing subject , but as a teenager we used the Lincoln bound platform waiting room as our hang out . The signal box man didn't mind as we used to borrow his brush to sweep it out every nig

Hardly looks the same bridge? I reckon some 70+? years between the 2 pictures, the latter taken after closure of course

Late 50s early sixties if the Mk2 Vanguard and the Ford pop are anything to go by...and if that's blood on the ground near the front wheel of the bus...it's 1958 when I came off my bike on those soddin' cobbles goin' full belt...Alpine St. Basford White Swan corner.

yes my guess too, can remember the old school, but not the houses and shop facing camera, look too good for demo? but that's what happened pre 1969, also can't recall cobbles so pre 1959 ? when I took up serious push biking. Remember the mucky duck though, in most nights for last half hour 15 years or more ago before we moved in 2003, one tuesday bingo night I went in got my drink and sat down in passage, when game ended my mate said "you've missed it all" "what?" I asked, "old so and so, (can't recall his name, a regular) was sat where you are, got up to get his tickets and dropped down dead!" "what happened?" "they dragged him outside, phoned for an amublance and started the snowball!" true story, about 10 yrs ago

Many passengers killed during WW1 (1917?) when a city-bound tram skidded off the rails, during a snow storm, and slammed into the wall..

Cheers

Robt P.

Seems that the Nottingham Heritage Centre in Ruddington is opening its new platform on July 11th when visiting '04' 63601 will be hauling trains. The station is also going to be officially named, but we have to wait and see what has been chosen. Rumours abound but the odds-on favourite is "Nottingham South"...........

who was the driver?

ROCKY!!!!!!!!!

If you wanted to beat the traffic jams and get home before time, there was no other.

I recall he had a close facial resemblance to Douglas Bader, sums him up really.

What happened to him, did Midland General hide his legs!!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Went on the Manchester to Bury Tram yesterday, brilliant! Just a short time on the streets of Manchester before it ran on old railway route inc through 3 tunnels, 2 of which quite long. And as opposed to Nottingham's "Look at us aren't we great" attitude seems the powers that be up there haven't succumbed to the flashy image, No stupid voice driving you barmy, just a clear "The Bury Line, next stop is whatever" once after every station, and no £40,000 fancy coloured brickwork, signs etc, even using the old railway platforms etc at some stations, and where new required functional rather than fancy. True I read it cost over £1 billion for the whole 3 routes and is struggling but my tram was packed, and whole thing looked well used (mid afternoon) Makes you wonder what a far sighted council etc here could have done if they had as late as the 1970's took up the idea of using the former railway lines in Nottingham as a tram system? I did see a copy of a study commisioned by them (thick as a phone book!) with plans etc inc station in "the big hole" at side of Vic Centre and new tunnels to Market Sq. and just think what could have been done with the former GNR NSR routes, think the then price tag of over £1million put them off!

The Manchester tram system was always a guiding light on how things should have been done in Nottingham, they should have taken note of it at an early stage, but didn't. Useable railway land was sold off and developed, it shouldn't have been allowed to happen, but thats corporate greed for you.

Look on the bright side, Nottingham could always have opted for this monstrosity:

200px-Cambridge_Busway_Stagecoac-1.jpg

An existing railway line, it's infrastructure more or less intact, travelling through the lovely Cambs countryside and into the heart of one of arguably one of Britains most beautiful cities. So 18 months ago they destroy the stations, signal boxes, rip up the track and build this crap. NOBODY in Cambridge wants it, it's feelers have gone around the city to other park and ride centres and it looks appalling, the city has been a building site for concrete emplacement for over a year now.

Buses are designed to travel on roads, whats the point of producing this eyesore in the countryside, it doesn't exactly serve the community either, thats why the railway was closed in the first place, or do they want you to make your way across a remote field to stick your hand out.

It should have been up and running last April, it still hasn't been opened, the special buses have been sitting rotting away in the garages since last summer. No-one can give a date for it's opening, but quite frankly, the public don't give a toss, it's a standing joke in the area. Even though no one wants it, the scheme is a failure as it doesn't work, it hasn't earned a penny in revenue service, but the council/backhand merchants are already planning to expand it. God help Cambridge and their council tax payers, it's a £116m national scandal that has gone largely unreported.

I had the pleasure of travelling on the Manchester tram from Altingham to Bury a few years back for a mates birthday, (Drove to Altringham and left the car there)

It was brilliant for a 'first timer' to be travelling on the train line into Manchester Victoria ?? and then suddenly on to the streets !!!! that came as a bit of a shock I can tell you !!

wife says she and sisters "moved into" a long term parked guards van as kids , had vases of flowers, got the fire going etc, lol, there was also a crowd in later years who used to spend nights in the carriages down at bulwell common sidings at a time when such would have been seen as a major crime! plus a pirate radio station that blanked out half of sherwood's tv reception was set up in the old station masters house at winchester street in the early 1960's, This Lincoln platform, what station was that?

hi ashley can you rember a big shed on bulwell common sidings with big sliding doors, were i found well pinced a english tommies steel helmet areal stewards enquiry when i took that home

Bet if you'd drove in it would have been a bigger shock! stockport to city centre is about 9 miles of "hyson green"! nothing but boarded up shops and ethnic food outlets, chinatown was great though and I saw the jewish quarter, like a scene from the wailing wall,

as regards that shed assume you mean rigley's wagon works the other side of hucknall lane? if so the main frame of that building is still standing, not off The GNR but on it's former rival's line at The Midland Railway Centre at Butterley

• 4 months later...

True, I recall floods there after storms etc, must have been hell of a job altering the entrance to the station (the bricked up arch just visable) also the steps up to the platform? I don't recall seeing any signs of such, do recall the handrail with it's brass knobs on, they stopped us sliding down it!

Somehow the bridge seems wider in the later photo, on the right near the the car is an opening, that is an entrance to a bungalow built in the grounds of station house, the entrance to that can just be seen near the lampost, nearer still back then to the cameraman was a massive 5 bar gate leading into the station yard, me, chris and francis the station master's kids, used to swing on such and have a right job to stay on it as it slammed shut!