Truth is stranger than fiction...A few years back I was listening to a racing car driver, name eludes me now. He had gone out to dinner in his expensive sports car, parked it in the parking lot of the place he was to have dinner at, got to the door and realised he'd forgotten something. He walked back to the parking lot and spotted several youths around his car starting to strip it, so impressed with their speed he stopped and watched them with his wrist watch in stop watch mode. He clocked them whipping his wheels off and was so impressed he walked up to them and told them they had broken a pit record!

They ended up as full time pit crew for him changing his wheels when required.

That was a true story!

• Upvote 1

Dunno Mick, but lets be right, just because you can ride a bike on the track, doesn't mean your an ace on the roads....How many street riders would be able to race against pros on the track??

Wasn't Stirling Moss a late starter in getting a driving license too???

• 7 years later...

Ron was the one with no license. His son, Leon, is sometimes referred to as "Pocket Rocket"! He wrote a book about his career called "Rocket Men" which is well worth a read if you are into motorcycle racing.

The Haslam family lived just around the corner from my aunt in Langley Mill - she remembers them as a "bit of a rum family" and if you read the book, you will know why. However, it didn't stop my aunt following Ron's exploits whenever a race was televised! She still remembered him a couple of years ago when I mentioned I was going to Mallory Park to watch motorcycle racing. She will be 100 years old on November 23rd!

Ron and his wife now live at Smalley. He ran his motorcycle racing school at Donnington park until the F1 fiasco closed the track down and he moved the operation to Silverstone. Leon rides a BMW in World Superbike.