Saint Martins Church...Bilborough

Hi and good morning to all,

I was just wondering whether anyone on this forum went to Saint Martins church in Bilborough estate, or associated places such as... Brownies, Girl Guides, Youth Clubs, or anything else in the time period from around 1955, to 1965?

At the time there was a Father Lavender, Brother Mitchell, and several other members of the cloth there.

Even iff you didn't, but you know of someone who did, I would love to know.

A few names to be going along with are,

Jaqueline Hooper,

Marilyn Twigg.

Jimmy Jones,

Lynne Hopkins.

Many more names in my head, but too numerous to mention, but would be glad of any info...thankyou.

Georgygirl.

Hi Georgygirl

I recall going to the church on a couple of occasions,but I recall more going to the farm building adjacent, as they seemed to have a social centre for us kids.

My Grandparents used to live in the pensioners flats at the bottom of St martins road just before the farm on the left - something 'Walk'.

I can recall one Saturday in particular entering the sing along competition, miming to Cilla Black - I can sing a rainbow.

Luckily, my cousin Patricia won it. Can you imagine the embarrassment if a boy had won it - even though I was in the school choir at the time.

Grandad always went to the Rose on a Sunday night for his 2 pints of Mild.

What year are you talking about? I went to that social teenage club too, around the same time as the church youth club.

My time period was around 1961, and we would pass those pensioners cottages to get there.

As for the Rose...many a story to tell about that too...even though we were all underage, some of the boys weren't, so we wpuld visit there on some Friday evenings with the rest of the kids from the social club, after dark, and in the back yard...l.o.l.

memories huh?

So what years are you talking about Frank?

Oh, and Frank, whilst you're still there...is Bulwell market still going on the weekends, or has that gone too?

Georgygirl.

Oh good grief Poohbear,

can I not even say that he is a gentleman, after all you don't find them much anymore?

And believe me, he is quite safe from me...I am sixty three years old and finished all that kind of business years ago, infact it isn't even just a faint memory anymore, it's a big blank wall!!!!!!!

that's really funny.

Georgygirl.

• 10 years later...
  • 9 months later...
On 6/25/2009 at 5:27 PM, Georgygirl said:

Hi and good morning to all,

I was just wondering whether anyone on this forum went to Saint Martins church in Bilborough estate, or associated places such as... Brownies, Girl Guides, Youth Clubs, or anything else in the time period from around 1955, to 1965?

At the time there was a Father Lavender, Brother Mitchell, and several other members of the cloth there.

Even iff you didn't, but you know of someone who did, I would love to know.

A few names to be going along with are,

Jaqueline Hooper,

Marilyn Twigg.

Jimmy Jones,

Lynne Hopkins.

Many more names in my head, but too numerous to mention, but would be glad of any info...thankyou.

Georgygirl.

Hi Georgygirl, 

I used to go the St Martins every Sunday. I was also an alter boy! The main reason for attending church was so that I could go to the youth club held in the church hall on a Saturday night. This was in the early to mid 60's. Names I remember? Here goes, Lesley Taylor, Brenda Thompson, Mick Chambers (my best mate), Mick Wright, John Hooper, Keith Jewsbury, Lollipop(!), Heather? , Diane?, Robert?, Jane Marson, Mick Wilkinson, Toni Bakewell. I also remember Farther Lavender, Brother Michael, Farther Shewring and Farther Wilkinson 

• Like 1

Nice to see you digging back into old posts and threads Fairlad, but on this occasion I don't think you'll get a reply from the OP.

Georgygirl hasn't logged in here for over 10 years - you'll see her post was from 2009 ! - and that's something which happens a lot. People log in, look around for a while, and then forget about it, or move to other things. Keep ferreting around like this and you'll dig up a few lost threads which could trigger a few dormant brain cells.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

I attended Saint Martins from 1958 to 1965, which seemed ages at the time. I was involved in the choir, the youth clubs (Junior and Senior) and served on the altar. In March, 1958 Father Lavender was on his way out, possibly to retirement. The curate, Father Mitchell was eager to take over as rector but was rejected, presumably by the P.C.C. So Father Mitchell and his daughter had to vacate the flat at the rear of the rectory (as did John Fletcher) while the building was refurbished for Father John Wilkins and his family comprised of three boys and a daughter. Father Michael Davenport arrived as the curate circa 1963 and moved on around 1965, initially to Kettering but ultimately to Saint Benet Fink in Tottenham where he remained until he died of cancer around 10 years ago. Father Derek Shewring arrived when Father Wilkins moved to Carrington and then to west Bridgford where he died of cancer. Father Shewring and his architect brother made the alterations to the interior of the church including installing a false ceiling and painting over the lower half of the fresco either side of the East window. The recent refurbishments including restoring the fresco cost around £750k, funded by the National Lottery. I don't know what happened to then stained glass East window but there is no sign of it in recent photos on the church web site.

Names which some may recall include John Fletcher, David & Margaret Kyle, Gordon & Patsy Fletcher, Bernard Kraft, George White, David Kyle's father, (all church wardens) John & Jane Marson and their mother & father, Ann & Keith Jewsbury, Michael Chambers, Richard Savage, Sandra Fletcher, Pete & Lynn Haywood, Martin Kingsford, Peter Clarke, Jaqueline Hooper and her brothers and parents & Frank who lived on Wigman Road! Apologies to the many whose exact names I cannot recall., 

I lost touch around 1965 and remained working for Lloyds Bank apart from a spell with National & Grindlays Bank in Calcutta, India where I was privileged to enjoy the life of a sahib/boxwallah for a short time.

• Like 1