Forty Bridges or Giltbrook/ Kimberley/ Awsworth Viaduct

I used to visit Kimberley often on nights out.  We would start from Bulwell and head out via Kimberley to Langley Mill and Aldercar Working Men's Club And Institute.. Ltd :) then on to The Three Horseshoes in Ilkeston, finishing at the Bowling Alley.  In Kimberley, we often had a couple in the Highland Laddie, which as I recall was on a road high up on the left of the village as you came from Bulwell. Was wondering if it is still there/open.  I very much doubt it.  Anybody know?

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BR Standard loco in the rarely photographed Awsworth Station. Forty Bridges visible in the background. Loco is pointing towards Derby (Friargate GN).  Judging by the sate of the loco I guess it is in

I don't know about Facebook but isn't that what we are all doing, taking stuff off the Internet and putting it onto Nottstalgia and vice versa. I think it's fantastic how anyone in the World can share

Picture below is of Forty Bridges taken from Kimberley side of the first arch, which is the one that Main Street Awsworth went through. As a guide as to it its whereabouts Bridges Van Hire is immediat

Posted Images

Yes, I remember the Highland Laddie, just round the corner at the top of Factory Lane. The wife's family lived up Swingate. Never went in, her old man would only drink in the White Lion and the Clyde. Not sure when it closed but it wasn't there in the '80s.

• Upvote 2

Kimberley,post 203,I remember the tyre incident very well as I too worked with heavy equipment,they were doing hot work on a wheel rim and it blew up,very sad,we were sent all sorts of safety alerts about the incident to warn us of the dangers of hot wroking on inflated tyres

Rog

TBI #107.  Thanks for that.  I recall it as a quite small pub in a quiet area, so I'm not surprised it's gone, like so many others.

Col

On 11/02/2017 at 11:09 PM, DJ360 said:

I used to visit Kimberley often on nights out.  We would start from Bulwell and head out via Kimberley to Langley Mill and Aldercar Working Men's Club And Institute.. Ltd :) then on to The Three Horseshoes in Ilkeston, finishing at the Bowling Alley.  In Kimberley, we often had a couple in the Highland Laddie, which as I recall was on a road high up on the left of the village as you came from Bulwell. Was wondering if it is still there/open.  I very much doubt it.  Anybody know?

My husband recalls the Highland Laddie on High Street being open as he's ten years my senior. It was already demolished when I started drinking in 1985 but a side wall still stood for many years until High St was made one way and new bungalows were built. I don't ever remb the building intact and used to wonder when I heard it mentioned, how it got its name, with where it was. I studied local history at school (KimboComp) but never heard any scots connection to the town. 

• Upvote 1

Hi Kimberley,

Not spent much time on this, but this site :  https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getoutside/guides/the-history-of-pub-names/

Makes reference to The Highland Laddie in a group of pub names 'derived from the origins of customers'.. No idea if it's right, but it's a start..  :)

Col

The 'Highland Laddie' at Kimberley in the 1970s.   According to Picture the Past .......... it was situated on the south side of High Street, to the north-west of the then T-junction of High Street and Green's (previously Factory) Lane. It would appear that the building was originally a cottage (possibly two) but had become a pub by 1912 . The pub was very small and the bars were the same size as the rooms in most small houses. 

highland%20laddie_zpsocpkvdzq.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well Google brought me here!  I was looking for a 1960's map of the area around Awsworth in particular, railways. I was talking to a customer the other day who lives on Main Street Awsworth and are third generation farmers at this site. I was asking them what the embankment was that is now a Great Northern footpath. I asked 'is this the end of Forty Bridges?' Apparently it is. So I photographed it but not very well. For reference I am standing with my back to the main part of Awsworth. In the distance through the trees on the left is Gate Inn. In the distance on the left hand side of the road is what is now Awsworth Motor Co. with Bridges Van Hire further on out of shot. I remember forty Bridges well but hadn't realised that I go under where it was on a daily basis now. What is now called Main Street I believe was previously Awsworth Lane - in fact it still is so on Google maps. I intent to take a walk up there when the weather gets better.

I am still looking for maps of the area. as there are a few railway related buildings still in use.

11sh95k.jpg

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, The Pianoman said:

I am still looking for maps of the area. as there are a few railway related buildings still in use.

If this link works......... https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/448283/344495/12/100954

Click on the little blue box at upper right with four arrows and get the bigger version ( and the blue thing next to it to get rid of the blue overlay)

Thanks. It looks like my photo is not the end of Forty Bridges. It is the end of the next bridge carrying the line that went into Awsworth Station

That bit has always changed to main street - it is marked as such on the 1912 OS map. You don't normally get a place with a street named after itself as Awsworth Lane leads to Awsworth so can't be in Awsworth!

The City councils mapping covers the whole County here: https://maps.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/insightmapping/# - it is slow to load. Change the road map to historical in the drop down menu at the top and it gives some good coverage of Awsworth from 1875 to the modern day in maps.

• 7 months later...
On 6/28/2009 at 5:32 PM, Fynger said:

Nosing around I found these

FB_2.jpg

FB_3.jpg

Brilliant pics best ive seen

On 6/27/2009 at 3:44 PM, Limey said:

Was the pub the Shipley Gate? I think it changed its name to the Shipley Boat, and is now the MFN Biker Pub! Still going strong I believe.

I well remember the viaduct - amazing piece of engineering almost certainly paid for by coal!

Bennerley viaduct is still there and being transforned into a cycle and walk route forty bridges was demolished for the A610 i vaguely rember the A610 being built a few pubs along the way have also gone.the gate pub sti stands and remnants of the rail line exists upto kimberley.i think only 1 station in kimberley remains and a few heritage track buts.wirth a walk but you would have to search 

I believe kimberley had 2 stations.bennerley viaduct i think the track took you too friargate station in derby and forty bridges i believe northern line 1 of these lines came from nottingham victoria station demolished about 1967 ish

Picture below is of Forty Bridges taken from Kimberley side of the first arch, which is the one that Main Street Awsworth went through. As a guide as to it its whereabouts Bridges Van Hire is immediately around the arch on the right hand side. The Gate Inn (still there, and still a pub!) can be seen at the right of the pic. The other viaduct you can see through the arch is the line that ran into Awsworth Station which was the Friargate Line. It ran from Derby Friargate to Nottingham Victoria. The two lines met at a junction well left of the picture, so both lines, Friargate Line and the one over Forty Bridges BOTH went into Nottingham Victoria. Both Forty Bridges and the Friargate Line were GNR (LNER). I believe Bennerley Viaduct was LMS

Forty-Bridges-005.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yes that is it. The photographer in your pic would have been standing closer to the Gate Inn with the Forty Bridges arch behind him.

Here is one of Fynger's pics without the Photobucket smear across it. Forty Bridges was huge and IMHO if one was going to to be saved it should have been that rather than Bennerley. Its hard to believe that sleepytown Awsworth today ever had these bridges at all.

Forty-Bridges-004.jpg

• Upvote 1

There's lots of info in a newly published book entitled The Back Line, about the Great Northern line from Colwick to Derby Friargate.