Forty Bridges or Giltbrook/ Kimberley/ Awsworth Viaduct

Here is another picture containing all of the landmarks that the picture I posted on August 13 has, namely, Forty Bridges, the Gate Inn and the viaduct carrying the Friargate Line. All in Awsworth of course. The photographer would have been standing in a field 50 or so yards to the right of the where the photographer in the previous mentioned picture was standing.

Forty-Bridges-006.jpg

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BR Standard loco in the rarely photographed Awsworth Station. Forty Bridges visible in the background. Loco is pointing towards Derby (Friargate GN).  Judging by the sate of the loco I guess it is in

I don't know about Facebook but isn't that what we are all doing, taking stuff off the Internet and putting it onto Nottstalgia and vice versa. I think it's fantastic how anyone in the World can share

Picture below is of Forty Bridges taken from Kimberley side of the first arch, which is the one that Main Street Awsworth went through. As a guide as to it its whereabouts Bridges Van Hire is immediat

Posted Images

On 6/28/2009 at 6:21 AM, BAZZER said:

,,,, just looked on google maps for this,,,,,, and although 'Kimberley Viaduct' is listed,,,,, I was expecting to see a river which the bridge spanned.

,,,,don't know why i'm interested, but can anyone tell me where I might find the spot on google please ?

That "River" that the viaduct spanned was part of the canal. This is where the Gilt  Brook joined the canal.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple more pictures of Forty Bridges. 

Two shots of the same train. The first is a distant shot of a coal train from the Pinxton line crossing the 40 Bridges viaduct and then a few minutes later arrives at Awsworth Junction where the Pinxton line joins the Derby Friargate to Nottingham Victoria line. 

(Edited as the original description above is better than mine ;)).

Forty-Bridges-1963.jpg

This one is taken at Awsworth and is near the junction of the Derby Friargate line and its junction near the main GN/LNER line adjacent to Forty Bridges, near the Gate Inn. Its the same train as in the previous picture and is travelling towards Nottingham. Both taken in 1963 by Ken Woolley

Forty-Bridges-1963-no2.jpg

• Like 2

There are two pictures Forty Bridges related at the beginning of this thread posted by two members no longer with us, Fynger and Firbeck that have been spoiled by Photobucket. I have found originals, they are here:

Forty-Bridges-with-history.jpg

Officially known as Bridge No 1 of the Pinxton branch, a cast iron plate from the viaduct

Officially-known-as-bridge-no1-of-the-Pi

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Are you related to Cecil Sleath of the electrical shop, Nottingham Road Eastwood?

Oh and welcome to the forum  :)

On 5/6/2020 at 9:32 PM, The Pianoman said:

Are you related to Cecil Sleath of the electrical shop, Nottingham Road Eastwood?

Oh and welcome to the forum  :)

Yes, very much so.  He was my father.  We lived at the shop and I started out in my electronic engineering career repairing TVs but soon realised there was no future for a small proprietor run business and moved to work on computers in 1961 when they were HUUUGE :)

We were both members of Kinberley Rifle Club which had a 25 yd range for 0.22 rifles in the cellars of  Hardy and Hanson's brewery.  Some years later, my wife and I played badminton weekly in the church hall opposite at the foot of Kettlebank.

Welcome to Nottsalgia Geoff did the Kimberley Rifle Club ever meet at Watnall in the old ww2 underground early warning bunker i visited the bunker about 12 years ago there was some remains of the past but there was a gun club down there.My father had the garage at Main Road and Common Lane at Watnall.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2020 at 4:21 AM, IAN FINN said:

Welcome to Nottsalgia Geoff did the Kimberley Rifle Club ever meet at Watnall in the old ww2 underground early warning bunker i visited the bunker about 12 years ago there was some remains of the past but there was a gun club down there.My father had the garage at Main Road and Common Lane at Watnall.

Not as far as I know.  I was still at school when I shot at Kimberley, so early 1950s.  Dad was disabled so target shooting was one of the few sports he could participate in on equal terms.  He became a registered gunsmith so he could get 0.22 amunition for the club - we sold air weapons and shotguns anyway  (alongside radio/TV/electrical/photographic/jewelery/clocks and watches which seemed quite normal to me :) )

This picture has just turned up on Facebook. This is the last arch of Forty Bridges to be demolished and is the first arch of the viaduct that went over Awsworth Lane?/Main Street Awsworth. The photographer could very well have been standing in Bridges Van Hire car park. It is the same arch as in my earlier post with the Mk2 Consul going through but viewed from the opposite side. I assume it would have been taken in 1966

End-of-Forty-Bridges.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

BR Standard loco in the rarely photographed Awsworth Station. Forty Bridges visible in the background. Loco is pointing towards Derby (Friargate GN).  Judging by the sate of the loco I guess it is in the last days of steam.

Awsworth-Station-BR-Standard-40-Bridges.

• Like 3

It would be looking towards Watnall and Kimberley did a bit of train spotting at Awsworth in the 50s.I can remember forty bridges being demolished but can not remember the year maybe late sixties?

Spot on. The picture is looking towards Watnall and Ikea would be just off the left hand end of the picture. Forty Bridges was demolished in 1973 to make way for the A610 Eastwood and Kimberley bypass that was then built slightly further north than planned. IMHO (and many others) Forty Bridges should have been preserved IMHO (but not so many others) in preference to Bennerley Viaduct. I appreciate the significance of Bennerley viaduct but I am afraid to me it is an eyesore.