Searching.... PERRY CARL

Help you Gossers! Am writing my third book and am trying to find a Nottingham man by the name of PERRY CARL for info only he would know. He is a well known singer in and around these shores. Also, does anyone remember the Malc Allen Sextet who worked at the Commodore in the 60's? In particular the saxe player who made up the Allen part of their name and who emigrated to New Zealand (I think) in the late 60's? Have just rung Malcolm and that phone number is ominously no longer available.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Welcome to Nottstalgia, pauline66. Just to inform you that Joy James was last on Nottstalgia on the 22nd February 2013. Perhaps one of the Moderators may be able to help you when they log in tomorrow.

The best way for pauline66 to contact Joy James would be to use the PM system. JJ would get an alert to tell her that a message has been sent.

Cliff Ton, it was pauline66's first post so she wouldn't know about the PM system. Is the alert sent as a PM or as an e-mail?. In this case a PM is no good because Joy James hasn't logged on for over two years.

Ayupmeducks, well done for finding Joy James on Facebook.

Not sure, but I think she is related to Kath, "Katyj"

• 6 months later...

Hello Nottstalgia's.

Yesterday was my 76th birthday so I am getting on a bit now and though fairly competent pc wise, I do have trouble understanding and finding my way round this site. My fault entirely.

Big thanks to Kath James (we James girls gotta stick together....) for telling me I had messages here.

I had a lovely day yesterday! Quite the best birthday ever! It began by being told my hearing is shot, just how shot I didn't know till they put those ugly brown bits in my tabs. I instantly realised how noisy the world really is....mine is usually so peaceful as the sound seems to come through a cushion!

My kitchen clock is over 40 yrs old and I never knew it ticked!!! Ditto the one in the lounge. I am an early riser - usually just about 3am - and today I switched on my world of sound and though I've lived in this house since 1968, never knew my bedroom floorboards creak! So my lovely birthday continued with a lunch engagement with my good friend Jenny who had splashed out a HUGE sum for a bottle of my fav perfume Oscar De La Renta! Bliss.

There CAN only be one place to go for the BEST fish and chips and its the PLOUGH at Farnsfield. Ohhhh fish and chips to die for! I got talking to a few diners and related the following;

I'd had an interesting Colwick car boot the previous day and had stopped to look at something and the male booter had said I could have that for a fiver. What? The bike, I can't ride a bike. Everybody can ride a bike. As a kid, I didn't have shoes on my feet or a coat on my back & I didn't have one friend with a bike, so never had the opportunity. You can learn. Too late, I'm a big woman and we are talking broken bones if I fall off. You are not a big woman you have a lovely figure! Shocked,

I walked very close to him and whispered, 'I don't know whether to thank you or f--k you!' He roared with laughter and said he was here for the rest of the day....I told him to get on his bike. The story went round the Plough and Bob, the owner/chef came out to see what was happening with the laughter. I repeated the tale and he sat down with us and we all chatted like old friends. One chap took an interest in me and asked was I married and I said no, how many times married and I said two and he asked did I want a third hubby? He disappeared and came back with a bouquet of flowers he'd nicked out of the Plough garden, and sang an Elvis impression of The Wonder of you and ended with the Happy birthday song. As I left, Bob gave me a HUGE bottle of champagne!

....Like I said, quite the best birthday ever......

Mind, Daily Mail readers might have spotted my letter in their letters column yesterday...if so, you know its not been my best week.......

• Upvote 2

Hello Joy and congrats on a wonderful day yesterday. Now can I ask you(as we were neighbours (up until 11 anyway) if you new Johnny Hardy, Pete Coffee, Kenny Hemsley, the Grewcock brothers, and Harry Cook at the Hop Bloom? Whose class were you in at BBH. ? Kenny is trying to find Ann Cropper,remember her? Best wishes Stan H.

Hi Stan, can't recall my teacher at leaving point but know that my first one was Miss Castle. Dad said her big red nose was the result of drink (my fam were tee total) and he'd seen her staggering out of a pub in town so ever after that I knew she was drunk when she taught me! (Taps the side of her nose sagely!)

U must realise that we were very parochial back then and if you didn't live on Moffat street I'd barely know you! None of the names ring a bell but I do recall the Moffat Street Evan's (David, Rae, Lena) Browns (Barbara, Beryl, Maureen and Bub) Dunns of Pym street (Christine, Tony Evelyn). The kids today have it so easy to stay in touch, back then there being no communication whatsoever, when you moved house, even by a mere street or two, you virtually dropped off the edge of the world!