I am fairly new to this writing game and only wrote my first document as a history for my children and grandchildren. It was only when a friend viewed it and thought it should have a wider audience that I decided to publish it as YO'D MEK A PARSON SWEAR and folk seem to like it - so much so they began to ask, 'What happened next?' Mam moved us to what she called 'Posh Broxta', well it was in those days and we not only had our own INDOOR toilet but a kitchen sink with real hot water via the wonder of the age, the ASCOT!!!! The 2nd book YO'D MEK A PARSON SWEAR...AGAIN! deals with living on Whitwell Road Broxtowe.

• 2 years later...

Some of my family used to live on Whitwell close, a long, long time ago, in the 60's and 70's. There used to be some talk of a family who had a ghost in the house of a small girl. Have you actually published the books and where are they obtainable?

Gilly, not sure if you noticed but you'd bumped a 3yr old thread, so you may get a reply but...........

Joy James hasn't logged on here for over 18 months so your best bet might be to send a PM and see if that nudges her back into action

She has several books out now, I got mine when over there, in the bookshop at the bottom of Bottle Lane [or thereabouts] they have a local section.

FUNNY THING FOR ME IS THAT BEFORE I WENT TO WORK ON BROXTOWE ADVENTURE PLAYGROUND ABOUT 18 YEARS AGO YOU HARDLY EVER HEARD ME SWEAR BUT THEY ALL THOUGHT I WAS POSH SO I STARTED TOSWEAR BACK AT THEMSOME OF THEM WAS ENOUGH TO MAKE ANY PARSON SWEAR. BEFORE THAT I ONLY EVER SWORE AT PIGGY AND HES CERTAINLY ENOUGH TO MAKE A PARSON SWEAR.

• Upvote 1

I did realise the date etc. thanks....I was just trawling through looking for any interesting titbits as all threads I was watching seemed to peter out except one from RGR or something which just kinda went into this Tsunami of photographs from Americana Newark....I cant find very much on Player (Grammar/Bilateral/Comprehensive) at all even on the web its like it didn't exist....maybe it was a figment of my imagination...anyway nice to see everyone alive and kicking well some of you...Another tick for Babs too my missus didn't swear til she met me either...lol...she used to say that I spoke posh too but the grammar has all but washed away with the tides of life....very poetic....anyway back to my my editing its my month to put the village magazine out so I better get on with it...Parish Council Meeting tonight too...oh the drudgery of it all...

Bottle lane? :blink:

Oh yea....bottle lane....last time I was down that deep in Nottingham it was to C&A for my school uniform.....if I went out in Nottingham it was either Isabella's or The Palais, went to the Astoria a few times too...for a beer it was The Bell Inn, straight of the 62 bus and across the road...I've just had a look on Google street view I cant believe what a dump it is now, all those tram lines and all the old stuff disappearing...weird!

Careful what you say! Remember the follow on from "Fings ain't wot they used to be..."? - "There used to be TRAMS - not very quick; Got yer from place to place, but now there's just jams 'alf a mile thick. Beats 'uman nature - I'm walkin'..."

Fings definitely ain't what they used to be...you ought to see it round here on Bank Holidays...bedlam...we've had a road closed now for a fortnight for a burst water main and all the traffic is diverted through our village...its like piccadilly...or Radford when goose fairs on...do they still have goose fair?

Yes, but it lasts for about four weeks now Gilly. ;)

I don't mind the appearance of the tram and it's paraphernalia but I do wholeheartedly agree with the 'pulling the old stuff down' comment. I'll bet there's hardly a soul who contributes here that doesn't either. There have been some real crimes in Nottingham in that respect over the years and it's still happening.