raid on the dungeon club

Yes, I well remember the first Zep gig, as we all had to patiently sit cross legged on the floor, whilst the roadies sorted out the equipment.

I recall some of it was of American origin, and was not compatible with our UK power supply. They'd only just returned from the US by all accounts, and had rushed up to Nottingham to do the gig. However, it all was fixed by some very dubious cabling, and we all had a great night.

The Zep gig was at The Boat Club btw. I don't want to confuse anyone.

Best Dungeon gigs. Kinks, John Mayall, The Who, Shotgun Express / Steam Packet etc.

9 hours ago, hippo girl said:

Still chat to Robert Plant about his boat club days 

HippoGirl, ask Robert Plant if he remembers a dog jumping up him on a beach in Costa Rica last year.  My niece’s dog!  Don’t think he was too pleased :biggrin:

Bands/artists I recall from the boat clubs and the Beachcomber. 

Jeff Beck Band with Rod on vocals and Aynsley Dunbar on Drums.

and later 'Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation'

Tull

Ferris Wheel fronted by Linda Lewis

Tim Rose

Long John Baldry

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac

Chris Farlowe

Zoot Money

Status Quo

... and believe it or not.. Love Affair and The Bee Gees... 

You can't win 'em all... ;)

Interesting article here..

https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-20-greatest-british-blues-albums-1960-1966

It includes R&B at the Marquee. (Still have my original copy) and a couple of other albums which I bought way back such as 'Five Live Yardbirds' and the Stones first album.. which I don't. :(

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

HippoGirl, ask Robert Plant if he remembers a dog jumping up him on a beach in Costa Rica last year.  My niece’s dog!  Don’t think he was too pleased :biggrin:

Will do ......he has dogs of his own ....my grands are terrified of him, think he is a hobo !!!!! 

• Upvote 2

I remember the boat clubs, especially Brit, long before they became pop venues. Our school rowing club operated from there. The boats were stored downstairs and the changing rooms were upstairs. I only went once to a ‘concert’. Too crowded and noisy for me - and I used to play guitar in a group! Mainly church halls though. :biggrin:

A great article Col. Got / had most of the albums, and seen most of the groups mentioned. Plus TYA, The Nice, Family, Elmer Gantry, Deep Purple, Groundhogs, Taste, Tull, Chicken Shack. Aynsley Dunbars Retalliation..... Superb, especially their version of Sabbaths The Warning.

Theres a great informative book by Bob Brunning ex Fleetwood Mac and others, on the British Blues Connection . Well worth it.

• Like 1