raid on the dungeon club

managed to do some research on the infamous dungeon raid......the headlines in the evening post were LAB.TESTS ON TABLETS HAUL......600 TEENAGERS AWAIT RESULTS......one guy was taken to hospital having taken a number of french blues !!!! the police said that 10 of the teenagers searched had come from as far away as london, northhampton, lincoln and MANSFIELD. one 18 year old girl from bulwell said" i had got some tablets for hangovers that a friend had given me. Even now i don't know if they were drugs. They were four pink capsules in a tube which said one to be taken after a night out. " LOL

Mr Parker said that there was always an open invitation to parents of members to inspect the premises............The teenagers stood under close guard in the street until the inquiries were complete at about 5am.......The police raiding party including 20 policewomen led by insp Madge Davis........The police spokesman praised the teenagers for their conduct during the raid in spite of the fact they must have been disappointed at having to wait several hours to see the ORIGINAL DRIFTERS..............

Thanks HG...So did you just email the Evening Post and ask for a copy of the Dungeon raid and they sent you a one?..if you could let me know how you did it I wouldn't mind getting a copy myself.

pete c....still riding a vespa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...
29 minutes ago, hippo girl said:

The infamous dungeon club raid should be made into a film .........

I know so many people who were there that night (or at least SAID they were there). I spent a lot of time at the Dungeon but thankfully I wasn’t there on that eventful night, probably because I’d seen the Drifters many times before and I wasn’t allowed to go to all-nighters in any case :(

Incidentally it was by googling Dungeon Club that led me to Nottstalgia 6 years ago! 

• Upvote 1

Yes, I wasn't there either for I'd also seen the Drifters previously, and wasn't about to see them again.

Likewise, I've heard folk say that they were there. Many of them would have been too young, but liked a moment of notoriety.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, LizzieM said:

I know so many people who were there that night (or at least SAID they were there). I spent a lot of time at the Dungeon but thankfully I wasn’t there on that eventful night, probably because I’d seen the Drifters many times before and I wasn’t allowed to go to all-nighters in any case :(

Incidentally it was by googling Dungeon Club that led me to Nottstalgia 6 years ago! 

Me too Lizzie .....as you know I have documented the dungeon club days along with most of the Nottingham clubs and my research led me to nottstalgia .....we now are involved with the reunion group which has brought so many of us together again .....I was there on the night of the raid but I think that was my last visit as the beachcomber and boat clubs became more current 

• Upvote 3

The music scene was changing dramatically, and some folks didn't want to spend a night dancing. They wanted alcohol and a different style of music. The Boats suited me down to the ground.

• Upvote 1

I totally agree Fly .....the dungeon club started my musical journey, the beachcomber and boat clubs gave me the confidence to explore different genres..... I will always be grateful for that period of my life as today I still work and enjoy what the music industry has to offer 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Likewise HG. I'd previously attended Package Tours etc, but other than the one with Hendrix, The Move, Pink Floyd, and the one with the Stones, Little Richard and Bo Diddley, the rest were crap. Freddie & The Dreamers, and other novelty acts ffs. 

I yearned excitement, thrills, genuine musicians pushing things to the limits. The Boat Club provided me with that !

Quo, Tull, Fleetwood Mac, Deep Purple, to name but a few.

Oh, Sir Rod, Jeff Beck, Ronnie Wood etc.

• Upvote 1

Yes, saw Zep's two gigs there. 

I never went to the Dungeon. but made up for it by many nights at the Beachcomber and the Boat Clubs.  Them wer't days...  :)

• Upvote 2

Must admit only went to the Dungeon club a couple of times, went with Elaine the other junior, when it was first open. We both were junior stylist and would finish work 8 00 Friday night then go into the boss's bathroom, get ready and go down town get down town for 10 30---11 00 then next morning around about make our way home and back at work to start for 8 00. Goodness know what the clients hair would look like. My father found out about mw and Elaine going down town and put a stop to it,  but when little older found "Hippo" and "Scamps" also went down the boat club a few time's. Then came the Black Orchid spent quite a few nights with the Forest team down there.

Those were the day'ssss How we miss them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I can remember the first time I went to the Dungeon. Went down the stairs and Baby Love by the Supremes was playing. Don’t think H&S would have let it open nowadays with just the narrow staircase down to it.  I was about 15. Luckily my friends and I missed the raid but I heard that the floor crunched when it was walked on because of all the pills that had been dropped. I went to Bilborough Grammar and we were told we weren’t to go there, it was a den of iniquity apparently, so of course everyone went. We were never offered anything when we were there. I can remember the dance marathons they had there, think they were on Sunday afternoon/evening if I remember rightly. . I am sure I saw Screamin’ Lord Sutch there as well as the Crawdaddies. Saw Long John Baldry there as well a couple of times, he was gorgeous.  Also used to go to the Britannia Boat Club, didn’t the floor move a bit when everyone was dancing?  I did enjoy my misspent youth!smile2

• Upvote 2