• 2 weeks later...

from what I recall dark green "proper" football shirts of the era with gym shorts, that photo wasn't before/after a match but during a normal day we were sat in class and told a picture was to be taken, look closely and you'll see I've sandels on! the big guy "goaly" was son of a screw at nottm nick, they lived in terraced cottage just outside the main gates, they'd lived in canada and he had all this fur lined winter clothing, on a school trip to liverpool we were on a boat trip on the mersey, he finished his sandwiches, squashed up the carrier bag they were in and chucked it in the river, then remembered he'd left his ear flap fur/leather hat in it! can still picture the look on his face, the sweet faced little lad sat next to him, in front of me, was a right hard case! both at claremont and ellis

• 8 years later...

I remember the green shirts as well as Mr. Postlesthwaite, a great teacher and Miss Chambers, a strict but fair woman. My friends were Christopher Morley, who looked after me when I couldn't speak a word of English, Peter Thornley and Roger Pickering and Godfrey Bachus who lived on or near Wyverton Road. Great times!

40 minutes ago, Frank Johnson said:

I remember the green shirts as well as Mr. Postlesthwaite, a great teacher and Miss Chambers, a strict but fair woman. My friends were Christopher Morley, who looked after me when I couldn't speak a word of English, Peter Thornley and Roger Pickering and Godfrey Bachus who lived on or near Wyverton Road. Great times!

Interesting post.  What language did you speak before English?

Perhaps Mr Turnero only  gave shillings to the boys cos I never got one, and I was a good girl, I was!

He once used a ruler to slap my legs because I made a reasoned argument (I thought) about the use of apostrophes!   He was right in what he said, of course,  but he wouldn't listen to my counter-argument...

perhaps that's why I never got a shilling?

• 4 months later...