• 1 month later...
  • Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was at Fairham from 65 to 73. Fleming house. If you do the maths and notice I was there 8 years. When my fifth year spectacularly failed en masse to achieve the five O levels required to go on to ta

Attended Fairham Comp'  September 1960 to July 1964.  Managed to keep my head down for the 4 years. Escaped the floggings though.  Made my first and last theatrical appearance having a two word bit pa

This is the photo I mentioned. I think I grabbed it from Friends Reunited. I had no involvement with the Penny Farthing; it was a few years before my time.   The location is still reco

Posted Images

Ayup All,

I see from the lack of replies to this post that no one wants to own up to attending this school, Clifton in the 60s was full of folk from the Meadows and St Anns, and to some extent the close knit community came with them. All right I know that inside toilets and back gardens went to some folks heads but they still worked down the pit or at the gun factory or players, and after all their roots and memories were still of the Meadows era, so Who went to school at Clifton? Go on don't be ashamed to admit it.

Rog

I movd to Clifton circ 1953 so attended Brooksby Infants and Juior School and later FairhamComp when it was under the leadership of 'Mr Thom' .

• Upvote 1

Ayup Pemberton,

Yes Mr Thom was head when I was there " My boys are good boys" he used to say, The old school has a web site you know, The best part about Fairham I remember was, It was close to Fairham Brook where I used to go fishing after getting my mark in class, Who ever said school days are the best of your life didn't know me because I hated them ( they didn't teach fishing) Ha Ha.

Rog

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Hi all,

Anyone at this school between 1964 & 1969?

2mortar 1 jan 31 2008 10:18 pm Hi plantfit, yes I was there from 63 - 65 ish, hunt house, mr douglas, great days , gettin 5 park drive 10 if you were well off on the day. remember the ice cream van outside, big malc servin. !englandflag!

• Upvote 1

Ayup 2Mortar1,, Yes I remember the ice cream van, Embassy cigs were 3d each, the teachers would punish you if they caught you smoking but none of them would approach big Malc to tell him to stop selling them to the boys, I also remember Mr Douglas, Mr Hind was our house master followed by Mr Smart, do they ring any bells?

Cheers for now

Rog

Ayup 2Mortar1,, Yes I remember the ice cream van, Embassy cigs were 3d each, the teachers would punish you if they caught you smoking but none of them would approach big Malc to tell him to stop selling them to the boys, I also remember Mr Douglas, Mr Hind was our house master followed by Mr Smart, do they ring any bells?

Cheers for now

Rog

yes they do, mr. smale bless im, we reduced im to tears in english, mr baron geog, doc chapman french teacher, thorpey maths, mr dixon woodwork,mr bishop p.e. woody also p.e.mr riddell dont blink in service. mr warren.what about the cross country runs then stoppin at the brook fer a drag on ya flip,must admit tho i did enjoy me c.c.runs an gymnastics. you might recall that in early 65 before leavers dates that douglas had all the lockers stripped down (dont ask me why) we jus did it to blag lessons as we were leaving in sept, it was a right mess.anyhow somethin for you think on. catch ya later

• 1 year later...

I had to go there late 80's early 90's with my job.

I remember the caretaker but not his name.

Gentleman with a Tache, Always put the kettle on. Said it was the best job he ever had.

He frequented The Dog & Partridge on Parliament Street.

Anyone remember him, Never knew his name?

Yes I went there 1963 - 1968, Fleming house, house master Mr Hinds, head master Mr Thom, deputy head Mr Malany

Never liked school but they were good days at Fairham and I'm sorry to hear the school is closing, whats the reason?

Rog

• 5 months later...

lovell house (mr Byrne) 1968 to 1972 thom the head barrett the deputy pete johnson was my tutor, was also into gymnastics and was in the school team with, terry pollard, barry cragg, timmy fowler etc Bullard in woodwork, naylor (tac) for english, history, R.I. and games, he was hell, and had to climb to L17 which was hard when you smoked as much as we did. day 7 was heaven cos that's the only day we didn't have tac. rogers for spanish, Tippet for french perry for games, pendelton for drama,funny how much you remember when you really think about it. and yes I moved from the meadows in 1956 and lived in clifton till 1982, now living in Greece.

Hi djandy,

Some memories came back there with some of them names, Chris Perry (games/sport) was world indoor running champion one year but can't remember what the distance was, Stan Bullard (metalwork/woodwork) great bloke really enthusiastic about passing on his skills, Mick Burns (maths) nice bloke when you got to know him but he could be a bit daunting because of his height 6' 7" of misery they called him, unfortunately he died on a visit to the states, Tack Naylor little rotund fellow taught religious instruction, very handy with the slipper if I remember right

Thanks for the memories

Rog

• 7 months later...

I think the main reason it's closing is because there just aren't enough kids there to keep it going.

Take a look at this link http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/news/Clifton-bids-farewell-Fairham/article-1158154-detail/article.html

You'll see there were 174 kids and 19 teachers remaining. When I was there 66-73 there were around 1600 kids and 100 staff.

I had a shock a couple of years ago when I looked at the place from Google aerial maps; half the buildings had been demolished even then, so the site still existed but there were big empty spaces where various buildings used to be.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Have just been to Fairham school in clifton. They are closing after 50 years of service.

Did anyone on here go there?

My dad went to Fairham his name is Graham Cutler - think he was there about 1965 ish onwards..?? :)

Ayup Bramleyapple. and "Welcome aboard"

I went to Frank Wheldon Comprehensive in Carlton with a girl named Linda Cutler , she lived up Mapperley way , any relation??

My dad went to Fairham his name is Graham Cutler - think he was there about 1965 ish onwards..?? :)

That means he was there at around the same time as me, but the name doesn't ring any bells. Not too surprising, because there were about 1600 kids there in those days. And yet the place has now closed down due to lack of pupils

yes i was there 62/63-65 not keen at the time but wish a wa there nah,went to greencroft before that, used to spend alot of time at spiders when it was near the big co op at top near the health centre,any one remember the cafe and record sales in there just up the stairs then into the l/h corner,

hi cliff ton have you seen the school photos at greencroft on freinds reunited, theres plenty from late 50s-early 60s, i believe the co op also had a lift as well, me an me mate would walk diagonally over the field from the dyke nr the now dentists direction headin towards the walk thrus where the shops were,(alcocks)then cross over green lane i think, (if it went all the way up to the fairham pub) can still see an hear the skylarks angin in the sky over that field as we walked with our park drive, oh boy to feel that again. regards ken.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember Mr Thom (my boy's are good boy's)

Mr Riddel (Come here boy I will beat you within an inch of your life)

Mr Burns (get him talking about the war and say good by to the lesson)

Mr Perry was indoor 10,000 meter running champion

Remember Doc Chapman (French master)

Mr Dobinson (English)

Mr Smart (Tech drawing)

Mr Brittain (Tech drawing/Engineering)

Mr Holt (music)

the list goes on

Rog 1964 - 1968 Fleming house