I remember Mr Thom (my boy's are good boy's)

Mr Perry was indoor 10,000 meter running champion

Mr Smart (Tech drawing)

Mr Holt (music)

Rog 1964 - 1968 Fleming house

Spooky. I was in Fleming 66-73.

Mr Holt was my first Tutor (Fleming A). He left after my first couple of terms to be replaced by PC Price (Pinhead).

Mr Smart was Fleming housemaster all my time there

Mr Perry was not in Fleming and I wasn't taught by him, but I've seen him around Nottingham city centre quite a few times in recent years. His appearance doesn't seem to have changed at all. For a guy who must be at least 64-65 he's in very good nick

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was at Fairham from 65 to 73. Fleming house. If you do the maths and notice I was there 8 years. When my fifth year spectacularly failed en masse to achieve the five O levels required to go on to ta

Attended Fairham Comp'  September 1960 to July 1964.  Managed to keep my head down for the 4 years. Escaped the floggings though.  Made my first and last theatrical appearance having a two word bit pa

This is the photo I mentioned. I think I grabbed it from Friends Reunited. I had no involvement with the Penny Farthing; it was a few years before my time.   The location is still reco

Posted Images

Spooky. I was in Fleming 66-73.

Mr Holt was my first Tutor (Fleming A). He left after my first couple of terms to be replaced by PC Price (Pinhead).

Mr Smart was Fleming housemaster all my time there

Mr Perry was not in Fleming and I wasn't taught by him, but I've seen him around Nottingham city centre quite a few times in recent years. His appearance doesn't seem to have changed at all. For a guy who must be at least 64-65 he's in very good nick

MY YOUNGEST SON NOW 30 WAS AT FAIRHAM IN THE NINTIES MR PERRY WAS STILL TEACHING HIM THEN

mr thom - head mr parham deputy head only woman miss greatorix librarian mr perry hunt house mr wallace penny house mr thorpe kenyon

mr riddell flemminhdoc chapman french,manders metalwork god so log ago now wennt when they closed it down it was a wreck

mr thom - head mr parham deputy head only woman miss greatorix librarian mr perry hunt house mr wallace penny house mr thorpe kenyon

mr riddell flemminhdoc chapman french,manders metalwork god so log ago now wennt when they closed it down it was a wreck

If my memory of Fairham Comp is correct. I remember Mr (fred) Riddell was the housemaster of Elliott house.

Quite right there Alan, it was Elliot house, in later years he became a member of the city council, something to do with education and believe it or not at that time he was dead against corporal punishment but whilst he was a school master he ruled by fear of corporal punishment.

Other house masters I remember were,

Mr Hind Fleming house (after his retirement it was Mr Smart)

Mr Sturtivant Lovell house (later it was Mr Burns)

Mr Townsend either Brittain or Kenyon House (someone will know)

Not sure about the other houses which consisted of

Penney

Hunt

Whittle

8 in all

Rog

hi - went to greencroft junior,moved to clifton when only orford avenue shops were ther,church was a wooden hut where the flats are now.lived at the first house on southchurch no 30,mrs clark was the head mistress at the school.pete russell,pat daily,maureen burton,melody allroyd,rodger tomblinson,bob,conger,

• 3 weeks later...

That's a memory I'd forgotten about - the cafe and the record dept in the Southchurch Co-op.

That was an amazing store for a council estate because to get to the first floor (and the cafe and records) you went up a black and silver Art Deco staircase, just like a smaller version of the one which used to be in the big Co-op on Parliament Street.

And. like you, I went to Greencroft before moving up to Fairham

Hi Cliff

I was a trainee manager at the Southchurch Co-op in tha sixtees and ran the record department(one counter) because no one new about pop music,the manager a Mr Plackett made me order in Jim Reeves records so he could take them home to listen to them and would return them two weeks later.

Does any one remember the fire in the hairdressing salon? I remember we filled buckets with water and i started to fill mine from the hot water tap at which point one of the female staff said "don't use the hot water it will make the fire worst"

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just found this story http://www.thisisnot...tail/story.html

on the impossible-to-understand Evening Post website.

Fred Riddell might be best known as Chairman of the Education Committee in the 80s and 90s. Before that he was a teacher and house master at Fairham during my time there (although I was never taught by him). He had a fearsome reputation as a hard man, and even the most extreme head-case pupils at Fairham would tremble and fun away if someone said "Fred's coming".

He's the toad who ruled that place with fear, would cane,slipper or strap anyone who crossed him then when politics took over his life he wants to ban corporal punishment, if ever I meet that sod I won't be responsible for my actions

Rog

• 4 weeks later...

HI, I have just joined the forum and went to comp in 1966, as did my brother 3 years previous,(Hill )my tutor was Mr Kisby, I was in Fleming house. Does anyone know the full list of the houses and the occupations of the famous people they were named after I know a few but not all, glad there are members wishing to keep the memories alive! Cheers Marc.

Ayup Mark and welcome aboard.

I didn't go there but quite a few members did and I'm sure they'll soon furnish you with the information you require. (Incidently, I assume the Fleming you refer to would be Alexander Fleming who, ofcourse, discovered Penicillin. (Although this has been poo pood recently)

We had a Fleming Laboratry at Frank Wheldon Comp named after him.

HI, I have just joined the forum and went to comp in 1966, as did my brother 3 years previous,(Hill )my tutor was Mr Kisby, I was in Fleming house. Does anyone know the full list of the houses and the occupations of the famous people they were named after I know a few but not all, glad there are members wishing to keep the memories alive! Cheers Marc.

Small world, i reckon I might know you. I started at Fairham in 66 and my Tutor Set was Fleming A with Mr Holt (who later left and was replaced by PC Price). I remember Kisby as a history teacher who taught me in my later years there. Smart was the house master

The houses were John Kenyon - named after a local councillor/mayor/civic somebody

Alexander Fleming - the penicillin man

William Penney - something nuclear

John Hunt - mountaineering

Frank Whittle - jet engine

Elliot - not sure, but I think it was the poet

Alfred Bernard Lovell - astronomy

Benjamin Britten - music

Thank you for the welcome to the forum and to the reply,it is funny how we look back at school in rose tinted glasses, there were many times I was glad to get home, Mr Naylor was a funny character never quite worked him out! Thanks again to the kind responses.

Glad to see this thread being kept alive, I too was in Fleming house, tutor set FC with Mr Brittain who used to teach tech drawing and engineering, a great inspiration to any boy interested in pursuing engineering or mechanics as a career, also remember Mr Dobinson (English) Mr Wright (Chemistry) Mr Walsh (English/Geography) Mr Burns (maths) Mr Holt (music)

Great memories but hated every minute of the place

Rog

• Upvote 1

I would have loved to have gone round to see the old school before it had been pulled down, it certainly had a few good memories and many bad, perhaps leaving glapton juniors to an all boys school it was hell of a shock,mind you they would say it is character building I am not convinced! I really could not imagine it as a mixed school.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

hi, a bit late this is ,I went to fairham school in 62,63,left 64. I was in sir. frank wittlle house, had good times, got the cane,the strap and slipper still a good boy now, did me no harm bring it back.

• 11 months later...
Would you believe I liked Fred Riddell

In almost 40 years since I left, you are the first person I've ever come across to say that!

I was there for 7 years but was never taught by him, nor ever spoke to him for any reason. His reputation was legendary - but I can't say how much of it was based on real events.

Fred Riddell in my opinion was a bully, he ruled by fear, I can't think of anyone who had a good word for the man, now, when I was vice chair of a board of govenors at a secondary school he was something big in the education department at the council and he was dead set against any form of corporal punishment and gave many talks to that effect, funny how some folk change colours int it?

Rog

my younger son was there in the early nineties mr perry was still there once told him of at a parents evening for touching my sons legs i did not think it was approriate mr nalor was his form master like people said he was hard to work out but i got on ith him ok cause he said i was straight john bull and said what i belived both to my son who always hated school but i always made him go and too the staff lee was not an easy person to teach and like me said what he thought and whould sometimes get the blame for things that were not his faultand would blow, so his mates used to wind him up until he got into trouble with the teacher, they even addmitted it after they all left school said if lee kicked of they got out of leasons. got to the stage that if the phone went at a certain time in the morning i would pick it up and say whats he done this time. even went down to school and sat at the back of the class for some lessons and could see his point to, one day the teacher forgot i was there and had a go at him in a way that was compleatly in appropriate, sat there and observed with out saying a word taking my own notes did not say a word dont know how i kept my mouth shut until after leason then straight to see the head and put in an official complaint funny thing they moved lee out of that class after that.

I know he was a bit of a Tartar but what I learned from Fred was about authority and the pecking order, when to hold your tongue and when not to served me well in later life. He would often punish the wrong boy because he wanted the real wrong doer come forward sooner than let someone else take the punishnment, that was another lesson learned about taking on responsibility and being responsible for your own actions. 3rd year History and English lit were also interesting if you could avoid the "cat-o-ninetails" (joke).

Anyway for what it's worth at least one of his old pupils remembers him with fondness and understanding.

R.I.P. Fred