Sign in to follow this  
plantfit

Fairham Comp

Smiffy49    574

Looks like Fairham school was burnt down last night according to reports on Radio Nottingham....

Mixed emotions of my time there from 1961 - 1966.

Not sure of the damage but maybe time for redevelopment?

Cliff Ton    5,717

The site has been closed for several years. Half the buildings had been demolished anyway, and the whole place was a ghost town with weeds growing through the tarmac and grass covering the paths. Presumably the city council have plans for it, but they don't seem to be in a hurry.

This is how it looked a few months go. For those who know these things.....on the left is 'Little L Block' and the building on the right was 'M Block'.

7OLqYjf.jpg

plantfit    3,201

Although I didn't enjoy any of my time there it is still a shame to see the old place in such a state of decay

Rog

Bing    58

Brew,  (post # 101)  could your Mr. Bradshaw be Mr. Bradstock?  If so he was my tutor in Fa when there was only Fa, Fb, Fc, Fd.  

Everybody remembers Dr. Chapman.  If only for his slipper!   Mick Burns was far nicer than he looked, but I agree that was his nickname.  Sid Bolton I loathed.  I'd be banned if I said what I felt about him.  Only he  and that swine Fred Riddell do I remember with hatred.  I didn't like PE.  Mr. Wallace we called Pigeon Wallace because he was always adjusting his collar bobbing his head like a pigeon.  He took us for handwriting.  The only metalwork teacher I remember was Mr. Mander.  Chemistry was Mr. Bates, biology Mr. Brooks, maths Mr. Mulaney, english Mr Allen, geography Mr. Baron, history Mr. Merritt.  These are  memories from 50 years ago.  But I can't remember what I did last week.

Brew    396

You're quite right Bing it was Bradstock and the metalwork teacher I couldn't place was Mander.

I remember Mr Wallace and his habit of adjusting his gown, usually accompanied by nodding his head and poking his tongue out.

The only memory I have of Burns is breaking up a fight up a fight in the playground and mentioning him a poem like wot I wrote. Won the poetry prize 'n' all it did.

I think the R E teacher was Dawkins?  Never paid attention, didn't believe a word and did next to nothing in the way of work -  somehow I was given top marks and I still have the New Testament with my name gold blocked on the spine that they gave me.

jopip    7

Having found this site recently decided to become a new member.

Did not attend fairham but played them at football many times when representing my school Glaisdale. The best teacher I encountered was Ron Hailey PE master. I believe he left Glaisdale  mid to late 60s to become head master at fairham but have not seen his name mentioned in any of the posts. Maybe I have it wrong but I'm sure he became head in Clifton. Could it have been Farnborough? Would love to find out where he went.

Jill Sparrow    4,074

Welcome to Nottstalgia, jopip. I'm sure you will enjoy the site. Lots of local knowledge and friendly people.

Cliff Ton    5,717

I remember PE teacher Ron Hailey. During my time (late 60s - early 70s) he was just a teacher at Fairham; I don't think he was ever headmaster there. Maybe he went on to become head somewhere else later on.

wishbone    0

Ayup, I am not the wishbone Riddo mentions. I was at Fairham 61-68 in whittle house. My mates called me wishbone because I was a bit thin and my surname. There was a wishbone on the telly in wagon train at the time. Not that we had a telly at the time like. My best mate then was Raz who left us decades ago, I missed the reunion because they thought I was dead! (mixed us up). Anyone remember him or Wixy (Jeff)? also sadly passed away a few years back. Sad to hear the old place is a wreck, there's a lot worse out there.

wishbone    0

ayup 2mortar1. I had hawkins as well. He taught in my sunday school as well (methodist on rivergreen) I even went to his house in wilford with a few others. He gave up trying to teach us and let us do homework in his lesson! Before this he tried to get us interested in odd things he must have picked up from readers digest. He once said "you will never remember nonsense words" and wrote "so how the when on who" on the board, to tell us we will soon forget it because it was nonsense. That was 51 years ago...... mind my sister was impressed with the church, married the ministers son who was in the year below me, still happily married.

plantfit    3,201

I can remember the Vicar of Holy Trinity at the junction of Farnborough road and Southchurch drive,Father Evans,he had two sons but the one I remember most was Hugh,a right toe rag,smoking,drinking,chasing girls the lot and we were only about ten years old,happy days

Rog

benjamin1945    8,564

That Hugh Rog..........sounds like a good lad.........lol

• Like 1

Cliff Ton    5,717
On 02/09/2017 at 9:30 PM, wishbone said:

He taught in my sunday school as well (methodist on rivergreen) 

In the early 1960s, the minister at that church was a man called Bell. I wasn't a church person, but his son Stuart was at Greencroft Infants during my time there.

sputnik    2

Jopip asked about Ron Hailey. He was head of PE and my tutor. Not your average PE type. Very smart, always wore cavalry twills. He used to plead with me to let him  know was at school because I never went when he took the attendance register but never got heavy-handed. He had me sussed.

sputnik    2

I  lived on Greencroft 1953 - 1960 near  to Wishbone and was at Greencroft Primary and Fairham 1955 - 1968 with Wishbone, Rob Underwood, Anth (Ginn) & Phil Barradell. Another fan of Georgina Taylor - one among many it looks like from the comments here. My mum (Mrs Clarke) was a dinner lady at Greencroft Infants about 1957 onwards.

I saw Chris Perry the runner and PE  teacher only about two weeks ago on Central Avenue in WB. He must be 70+ but never changes. Richard Warren still lives in WB as well. Pat Smith the maths teacher also used to be around in Bridgford and Burley the German teacher - another runner. Not seen either for years.

I knew Olive Taylor the tea lady at Fairham who married Robert Thom. The Taylors lived on Southchurch in the fifties and sixties.

jopip    7

Thank you Sputnik for your response to Ron Hailey. Not only was he a great PE teacher but a gymnast & Rugby player. He once tried to get us interested in Rugby but all we wanted to do was play football & get spotted by a scout from a league team. I wish I had shown an interest at school because years after leaving I swapped codes & played Rugby. Always thought I might run into him on the field & pay him back for the times he gave me the slipper! I often wonder what happened to him.

• Like 1

sputnik    2

He replaced Sid about 1964 and was still there when I left in 1968. I remember his first day at Fairham. He stood out. Richard Warren might know because he was in the same house. I've got a contact. The other guy to ask would be Chris Perry, another PE teacher, who I saw the other week. So, stand by.