When I was there the French teacher was Dr Chapman, presumably he had moved on before your time...

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was at Fairham from 65 to 73. Fleming house. If you do the maths and notice I was there 8 years. When my fifth year spectacularly failed en masse to achieve the five O levels required to go on to ta

Attended Fairham Comp'  September 1960 to July 1964.  Managed to keep my head down for the 4 years. Escaped the floggings though.  Made my first and last theatrical appearance having a two word bit pa

This is the photo I mentioned. I think I grabbed it from Friends Reunited. I had no involvement with the Penny Farthing; it was a few years before my time.   The location is still reco

Posted Images

I remember all those names from my time at Fairham. I must've seen you Yvon Leon.

I was taught French by Keith Murray and Geoff Rogers. I started with Dr Chapman but he left during my 1st year.

And I also remember Clemo, but was never taught by him.

• 3 weeks later...

Dr (Bill) Chapman was a wonderful teacher.   He once told me I spoke French like a Spanish cow!  He was probably right.    He had a good singing voice and sang as the Pirate King  in the school production of The Pirates of Penzance.

I last saw Doc Chapman at the City Ground years later.  One of the  teachers I remeber fondly.

1 hour ago, Bing said:

He had a good singing voice and sang as the Pirate King  in the school production of The Pirates of Penzance.

That's brought back a few memories. I went to that production with my parents. It was a year or two before I actually started at Fairham so I'm not sure how they knew about it in the first place.

As you say, Doc Chapman was a very good singer and almost-over-acted.....but held your attention.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi just picked up this thread. I also was in Stan Bullard’s group who made the penny farthing as a CSE project, which we measured up off a vintage one at Nottingham Castle museum. Stan was a really good down to earth teacher, giving great support. He started my interest followed by my subsequent career in engineering. I remember he was very much into wild birds and he netted and ringed them just outside the metalwork class. We even took the penny farthing on a ride after it had been assessed for CSE, was interesting getting on and off but great fun to ride!

As I recall we were a small group, maybe three or four of us who built the penny farthing so quite something to come across one of the team! Got a photo somewhere of three of us standing next to it

So there was a bit of fun mixed with the daily grind!

Also remember one of the teachers made a couple of go carts which we raced around the small playground near the metalwork and craft classes after hours. Proper carts with wide wheels and petrol engine powered and quite fast. No helmets or safety gear mind you but great fun. He also made a mini tractor which one of the lads drove of at pace and managed to prang another teachers car!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Metal said:

Hi just picked up this thread. I also was in Stan Bullard’s group who made the penny farthing as a CSE project

Welcome to Nottstalgia Metal. I'm a few years younger than you but I have a photo of that penny farthing on one of its excursions into the real world. I thought I'd posted it on here but can't find it, so I'll dig it out again (unless you have one).

Hi Clif Ton

Thanks to my dear old mum I have a copy of the school mag would you believe - I put a few words together about our exploits with the penny farthing. Appears there were actually 8 of us involved in making the bike. Though don’t  think it politic to mention names here.

0B3B7509-80DC-4725-90BD-9442D803C02F.jpeg.6cad52bfcc6d497633b24ad37cc00d36.jpeg

found a photo of me riding the penny farthing

would be good to see other photos if you have them

• Like 2

This is the photo I mentioned. I think I grabbed it from Friends Reunited. I had no involvement with the Penny Farthing; it was a few years before my time.

7O5Iakw.jpg

The location is still recognisable today; down the side of what was then the Town Arms at Trent Bridge.

• Like 3

Thanks for that, I’m on the left in the specs, we went for quite a trek don’t remember much about the route but remember we called in at Stan’s house to make repairs to the rear wheel!

Obviously Stan in the saddle, good to see him and the rest of the team - takes me back great to see the photo many thanks

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2020 at 11:35 PM, Veetwin said:

Does anyone remember an  English teacher called Robert “Bob” Cartman?
or do I have his name wrong?    in the little L block next to the Birdman

I remember him, dark frizzy hair took me for English 1st & 2nd years. Cartman was his name

• 6 months later...

lovell house great memories not the best pupil but it never held me back started and ran my company for 35 yrs you can achieve in life what you want if you work hard i now live in co Durham have a large catamaran and sail the oceans you need to believe in yourself never kept in touch but send the very best wishes to anyone who know me

Looking back at this thread, it has an unusually large number of posts from people who appeared for a few days and then vanished for ever.

I've had email/online contact with people I knew from my school days, but so far I've still never met (in person) anyone I knew at school.

• 1 year later...

I know what you mean about photos of meals, but you need to dig a bit deeper. There are a lot of Facebook Groups dedicated to specific subjects, in which you’ll only find posts on that topic;  and they’re moderated, which hopefully cuts out the moron element.

I’m in a number of Groups on various subjects, and you can learn a lot there, without having to scroll through idiot posts.

In your quest to find ‘old mates’ there are several Clifton-based FB Groups where you would definitely find familiar names. One is dedicated to old Clifton School Photos, and the other is specifically Fairham Comp.

• Like 1

I held out against joining Facebook for years but eventually did so to find photos and information relating to my old primary school. It has been worth it, although I have to say I'm not keen on Facebook and much prefer this site. Facebook can be brilliant for finding people.

• Like 1

Nottstalgia is good because it's more low-key and personal. Unfortunately that is also its weakness because it will never have the reach and scope of FB, so the chances of finding an old friend are much less on NS than on FB.

As an example......only a few days ago on the Clifton School Photos Group someone has posted a class photo showing my first teacher at infants school. I've been waiting for years for such a photo to turn up, and it's the first time I've seen her since the early 1960s, although she's probably changed a bit since then.

That's what FB is good at, and the chances of that photo appearing on NS are very slim.

• Like 2

I already had a copy of my first school photo but the teacher, Miss Walters, isn't on it. I hoped to find others which showed her but never have. It may be that she wasn't there very long. She was quite young and there was an enormous attrition rate of young female teachers getting married and leaving. However, I've mentioned her to quite a lot of people who were at the same school at the same time and no one else seems to remember her at all.  I live in hope.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Blakey said:

Followed Cliff Ton's advice found some photos on FB - one of Mrs Stapletons class at Whitegate with what i think is me in it - never realised i was ever that young

That's something I've come across that I never previously realised; some people don't recognise themselves in very old photos if they'd never seen that photo before.

• Like 1