plantfit

Fairham Comprehensive

Whos' Jimmy?

Rog

They can hardly string two word together, oh I get it now Riddle what threw me was Freds name was pronounced Rid ell

Rog

• Like 1

Stan Bullard was an inspiration to those who had a mechanical interest,same as Mr Britten, mentioned earlier, he gave guidance when we were building the Penny Farthing bike back in about 1966, gave praise and encouragement when it was due, not so much strict but firm, great teacher,great person,pleased to have known him in my younger years

Rog

On 4/17/2019 at 7:46 AM, plantfit said:

Mr Meeseeks, the careers master when I was there was a little fella called Sturtivant or similar, the careers "room" was a vacant room at the bottom of the "M" block we attended a "careers morning" in there to discuss which type of job/career we would be best suited to,my turn came and the careers master said "Ah C---------,you sir are a cabbage and that is what you will always be" real confidence booster that was, anyway towards the end of the class I went to the front and said to him " Sir with respect I couldn't find any leaflets for cabbages do you have any behind the desk?" at this he had a duck fit and all the boys in the room went crazy, got my own job after trawling through the evening post each night

Rog

Wasn't Sturtivant the Lovell House master, or is this another one.   Did anyone manage to get a worthwhile career or a job even, as a direct result of the Careers Master in the early 60's?

Cheer, Meeseeks.   

• Like 1

Sturtivant was Lovell house master when I started at Fairham in 66. He left a few years later and Mike Byrne took over.

Mike Burns unfortunately died a few years ago while on holiday in America, good teacher,also Fairham scout troop leader,did a lot of work getting the old scout hut set up in those woods off Summerwood lane back in the mid sixties

Rog

And despite his forbidding appearance he was a nice bloke.

• Like 1

His nickname in our class was 'six foot of misery'... Don't know why, didn't know the bloke and he never took our class. He did once set a mathematical puzzle for the whole school which supposedly took him several hours with a slide rule. How the hell he expected us to solve it I've no idea but it was something to do with the magazine 'Mathematical Pi'.

I did once see him use his size to good advantage. A lad called Brett had a short length of scaffold pipe and seemed determined to change the shape of someone's skull. Burnsy came steaming across the playground scattering onlookers like so much chaff before grabbing the pipe and frog marching one very surprised playground bully off to see Thom.

• Like 1

I was at Fairham 1966 to 1970 Was in Kenyon house And Forms 1f and 2f and 3r and 4r Was at Brooskby school before that Remember lots of the teachers at Fairham 

Burns took us for Maths Naylor (tack) took us for RE Fred Riddell for History And Penny housemaster Smith also took us for Maths in our first year Stan Bullard for metalwork Perry for PE to name just a few 

On 1/31/2008 at 10:26 AM, 2mortar1 said:

2mortar 1 jan 31 2008 10:18 pm Hi plantfit, yes I was there from 63 - 65 ish, hunt house, mr douglas, great days , gettin 5 park drive 10 if you were well off on the day. remember the ice cream van outside, big malc servin. !englandflag!

I was there 1960-1965 also in hunt house great school remember deputy head mullaney had cane off him a few times.

Photo Chris Watson 

EFKOK4qXoAAH724?format=jpg&name=large

Wow just stumbled across this website, what memories where has that time gone! You guys have certainly thrown some old names out there.

I was at Fairham from 65-69 what a time to be in Clifton they were good days (and some bad ) but we survived.