• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And finally 1965/66. I'm not very good at putting names to faces but some of the lads I remember are Steven Smalley, Phillip Broughton, Neil Crosby, David Baird, David Anscombe, Michael Lilley, John B

Hello everyone. I just found this website by accident, and have loved reading everyone's memories of William Crane, Amesbury Circus, Melbourne Rd etc. I was born on Amesbury Circus, Dec '46 next door

Gilberts continued to thrive after High Pavement School moved up to Bestwood in 1955 and Forest Fields Grammar took over the Stanley Rd premises I started at Forest Fields in September 1961 having m

Posted Images

• 4 months later...
Here is a picture from around about 1952/53. If you recognise anyone then please post a reply.

A lips0

I caught your picture today and I recognise 1 or 2 i e Jean Hopkins, Pat Boultby, Eileen Storey and more I left in 1955 Joiner

Hi Joiner

You have replied to turtanics posting, unfortunately she passed away last year.

Did you know Pat, Eileen and Jean well?

Thanks for the information about turtanic I may have known her if I new her real name sad to hear she has passed away ,yes I did know the three girls mentioned it was good to see them again after all these years in the photo I used to fancy those three in the 50s I dont suppose they remember me know 50 years is along time. By the way I have to change my user name to oldvic I have had trouble logging on with the other name

• 7 months later...

Hi I attended Peveril School from 55 to59 lived oposite and attd Berridge rd school .

Emmigrated to Canada in 76 to Calgary - 30c yesterday but now retired to Vancouver Island

Peveril School Principal was Sam Ward Mr Cole and Killer Keywood --an anoying little guy he had a

Velocette motorbike with blocks on the pedals There was also a Mr Wragg for metalwork. Some of the pupils names that come to mind are Adrian White .Mike Munday .Susan Snowden .Frank Hodder .Mike Morris .Richard Brown. Josephine Peas .Kathleen Whinning.Dave Stanley

Went on a trip Switzerland in 57 one of the Searsys from the TV repair shop on Alfreton was bitten by a snake and Janet Morley nearly drowned in the pool

Would really like to hear from anyone from this time Paul R

hello paul iwas so pleased to come across this sight i am michael mundays sister sadly michael died 10 years ago he was only 54 he still lived in nottingham and was married with one son i live in ramsgate in kent and we both visited each other often.when it was michaels funeral adrian white was there otherwise known as fred him and michael had been mates for years.you mention david stanley i knew him too after about the age of 18 he and michael went their on ways he was a good looking lad as i remember !! he is on the freinds reunited peveril school page i left him a note last year but his page has not been opened so dont know the reason for that.michael would have loved to be in contact with old school freinds.I hope this has been of some help to you and hopefully more people will be in touch.regards from pat

• 1 year later...

I was at peveril till 1963

I was the kid that got blown up

I seem to remember Rodger Lewin, Geoff Pugsley, Margaret Gott,Edith Gott they were twins

I lived on Elstree dr off beechdale rd

• 4 weeks later...

Don't quote me on this cos i heard it on the car radio whilst driving. William Crane re-union for years 1952-1962 to be held at Broxtowe Inn, lunch time 30th March. Anyone interested please phone the pub first just to make sure.

[copied from the Evening Post]

THE William Crane School annual reunion is going places.

This year's get-together on Wednesday, March 30, moves to The Nuthall, formerly the Broxtowe Inn, on Nottingham Road, Cinderhill, close to the Cinderhill Island.

And it's now a lunchtime event, from 11am to 2pm, to make it easier for more old scholars to join in.

Organiser Gill Walker – formerly Gill Taylor – said anyone who left the Aspley school between 1952 and 1962, give or take a year or two, should turn up for the 29th reunion.

Partners were welcome, and old boys and girls should bring along photographs and other memorabilia.

Gill said: "The more the merrier."

She said there was a constant search for old school pals such as Christine Oldham, Carol Hazeldine, Isobel Ratcliffe and Valerie Piddock from the girls' school and David Fox, Ronnie Wells, Tony Foster and David Knight from the boys' school.

For more information about the reunion contact Gill Walker on 01400 283518, Rita Disney (nee Marshall) on 0115 9216891, or Terry Wootton on 0115 9123018.

A Bygones special edition, entitled More School Memories, is on sale at 65p from today.

[copied from the Evening Post]

THE William Crane School annual reunion is going places.

This year's get-together on Wednesday, March 30, moves to The Nuthall, formerly the Broxtowe Inn, on Nottingham Road, Cinderhill, close to the Cinderhill Island.

And it's now a lunchtime event, from 11am to 2pm, to make it easier for more old scholars to join in.

Organiser Gill Walker – formerly Gill Taylor – said anyone who left the Aspley school between 1952 and 1962, give or take a year or two, should turn up for the 29th reunion.

Partners were welcome, and old boys and girls should bring along photographs and other memorabilia.

Gill said: "The more the merrier."

She said there was a constant search for old school pals such as Christine Oldham, Carol Hazeldine, Isobel Ratcliffe and Valerie Piddock from the girls' school and David Fox, Ronnie Wells, Tony Foster and David Knight from the boys' school.

For more information about the reunion contact Gill Walker on 01400 283518, Rita Disney (nee Marshall) on 0115 9216891, or Terry Wootton on 0115 9123018.

A Bygones special edition, entitled More School Memories, is on sale at 65p from today.

I went to school with David Knight and was at one time very friendly with Tony Foster who, as mentioned elsewhere in 'Nottstalgia', was a fine violinist who became a music teacher but died of cancer some years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Wragg for metal, Witham for wood, Edwards for History, Salavanski for English, Pugh for PE,

A music room with no instruments what was all that about :crazy:

Oh yes they did have a violin bow that you got beat with

Wragg for metal, Witham for wood, Edwards for History, Salavanski for English, Pugh for PE,

A music room with no instruments what was all that about :crazy:

Oh yes they did have a violin bow that you got beat with

Oddly enough there was someone beaten up with a fiddle and robbed in Norwich last week. They caught the offender and charged him with 'Robbery With Violins'.

• 1 month later...

It seems like the teachers had their own implements for punishment

Wragg a 3ft steel rule

Salavanski a plimsol

RI i thought that guy was a Nazi he put me off religion for life

Ward a real cane

& of course i tried them all, I would even get it for something i hadnt done like homework etc

• 1 month later...

Will try and find the photos on the forum, the old school is still there, one of my favorite classrooms was what we used as the Art room, right at the top, you could see the Forest from there which I loved when Goose Fair was on :yahoo:

Can anyone remember the little corner shop just outside the gates, Gilberts ? You could call in before school and order a cob for dinner, Mrs Gilbert used to write your order on the little white bag that your cob went in, along the floor of the shop was a row of sweet jars that you'd pass to them to weigh out for you, you'd then replace the jar for them, 2oz of chocolate drops for me thumbsup

Gilberts continued to thrive after High Pavement School moved up to Bestwood in 1955 and Forest Fields Grammar took over the Stanley Rd premises

I started at Forest Fields in September 1961 having moved to Russell Road from Elstree Drive Aspley in the summer of 1961.

Russell Road was a only 5 minutes walk from the school so I used to go home nearly every lunchtime but most of my friends would cycle or use the bus to get to school. I think Gilberts was preferred to school dinners by lots of the schoolkids.

Even at morning break Gilberts did a roaring trade with kids nipping out and buying stuff.

I think it was around 1963 that Stanley Road was closed to through traffic and gates and fencing were put across the road. Thereafter only the older kids were allowed out the school.

I well remember giving a friend higher up the school my 6d for him to bring me back a ring doughnut (3d) and a packet of Golden Wonder crisps (3d) from Gilberts.

Mr Gilbert was a bit surly but Mrs Gilbert was always pleasant and chirpy. I recall Mr Gilbert was often present at school events sporting a bowler hat. On reflection he might have been on the board of governors.

They had two kids at the school when I was there. A boy and his younger sister. They both excelled musically. Violin and piano I think.

I also remember being able to see Goose Fair from the art room at the top of the school. In the 60's Goose Fair opened at midday on Thursday so most of the school used to rush down to the Forest to enjoy the fair.I no longer live in Nottingham but return with the family every October for Goose Fair.

You could also see Wollaton Hall from the upper hall.

In the severe winter of 1963 we all went sledging there because it was too cold and snowy for games. I was frozen to the marrow by the time I got home but it still didn't stop me going down to the Forest in the evening to carry on sledging there. I was late to bed that night because I came off my sledge and split my chin open so it was down to casualty on the bus for stitches.

When I drove past the school a few months back I noticed all the corner shops outside the school have now been converted to living accomodation.

As well as Gilberts there was a sweet shop and a Fish & Chip shop (Harpers I think). The chip shop packed up in the early sixties. I think the one on Berridge/Ewart (Carsons?) was more popular.

Hope I haven't bored you all silly but when I start on about my life in Nottingham in the 60's I find it hard to stop 'cos it was just an amazing time for me. Forest Fields, Goose Fair, The Beatles and Notts County are never far from my thoughts.

• Upvote 1

...when I start on about my life in Nottingham in the 60's I find it hard to stop 'cos it was just an amazing time for me. Forest Fields, Goose Fair, The Beatles and Notts County are never far from my thoughts.

:) Look forward to seeing your recollections in other areas too then ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Gilberts continued to thrive after High Pavement School moved up to Bestwood in 1955 and Forest Fields Grammar took over the Stanley Rd premises

I started at Forest Fields in September 1961 having moved to Russell Road from Elstree Drive Aspley in the sum Goose Fair, The Beatles and Notts County are never far from my thoughts.

I lived on elstree dr #81 top corner

Did you go sledging at woolaton park that year thats where i went

But could also do it down the railway bridge hill at the back of the house down to the traffic island at the bottom

• 3 months later...

Hi

I went to both....- left Peveril in the 'summer of 69'

Lots of memories, good and bad...

I could never ever say I was late for school at Peveril, used to live right opposite at number 65 Robins Wood

So, Stanley Clark, Headmistress's face I can see, but not her name, Miss Jones Dep Headmistress ??

Wallace Wragg (and his 2 daughters) Malcolm Pratt (Woodwork) Miss Innocent, Mr Hinks (PE) Mr Robson (Geography) Andy Bacon (Woodwork) Mr Smith (Music) Mr Holder (English) Mr Robey (Tech drawing) Mrs Gascoyne ? (Domestic science) and a Curly haired woman for RI/RE

Any I've missed ??

PJ !hand!

• 2 years later...

Just found this thread. I went to Peveril from from 1960 - 1964 and others I can remember were Carol Wade, Pat Whincup, Christine Ward, Janet Ward, The Duffy twins Maureen & Margaret, Lorraine Coats, Christine Scott, Malcom Jarvis, Johnny Manners, Andrew Bridges, Kenny Bull, Phillip Dobson, Sue Kinton, John Evans, Lee Evans.

Also in my year but not my class was Sue Pollard

Teachers I can remember were Mr Ward ( Headmaster ) Queenie Lee ( Headmistress) Mr Pratt, Mr Wragg Mr Fletchem, Mr Cole, Mr Pugh Bernard ? ( R.I. ) Mr Skillbeck,

Any of the above on here ?

I was at William Crane schools for all of my schooling life, which lasted through the late 40s and the 50s, and I was quite upset in later years to find it described on the net as the worst school in the country, or perhaps I was reading it wrong!. It has since closed of course but in my day (as we old gits say) it had quite a good reputation, winning sports cups, competitions and I think I'm right in saying it was one of the first secondary schools in Nottingham to set GCEs for its pupils. I ask old Williams's Cranium --- Craneiism s --- Rats!!! Older fellow pupils - what happened?

• 2 years later...

I was at Peveril secondary finishing in 1970 form 5t2x would be nice to hear from anyone who knows me. Some of the old mates are Alan Pearson (Raspy,) Mark the chelsea fan, Diana  Nelson, Peter Silverton, Terry Bintcliff, Chris Brown, Dorriane Parish and David Selwyn. Teachers  I remember were Head Sam Ward, Metal Work Wragg, Music Smith, Biology Miss Robinson. 

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Did you go to Peveril ?