Did anyone go to either William Crane on Minver Crescent or William Peveril on Robinswood Road?  (now The Manning School for Girls.)

Peveril opened in 1955, while William Crane has recently closed its doors for the last time.

A

I left William Crane Juniors in 1954 and went on to High Pavement, at the Stanley Road site for my first year and then to the 'new' school at Gainsford Crescent, Bestwood Estate - recently raised to the ground!

Recall that the rather surly headmaster at William Crane Junior was Arthur Smith from Sutton-in-Ashfield - a pioneer commuter in his bullnose Morris - who had even taught my Uncle in the early 1920's!. Quite masochistic on his day as he often kept the keen sport scholars off the playing field by singing obscure folk songs ('Raggle, Taggle Gipsies O' etc) in an impromptu choir, and vice versa.

Other teachers that I remember were Peter Saunders and Eric Murphy....Eric being an avid soccer fan, and on the Notts Schools FA executive.

I lived on Amesbury Circus until I was married at 24, and recently made the great mistake of revisiting the area for the first time in 40 years.

Many cherished childhood memories shattered by the run-down nature of the place - quite depressed upon my departure.

As they say...."Never go back....!"

An old friend from Pavement, Keith Skilbeck, taught at Peveril for many years.

Reckon he retired a while ago......

Cheers

Robert Pollard

Bingham, Notts.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And finally 1965/66. I'm not very good at putting names to faces but some of the lads I remember are Steven Smalley, Phillip Broughton, Neil Crosby, David Baird, David Anscombe, Michael Lilley, John B

Hello everyone. I just found this website by accident, and have loved reading everyone's memories of William Crane, Amesbury Circus, Melbourne Rd etc. I was born on Amesbury Circus, Dec '46 next door

Gilberts continued to thrive after High Pavement School moved up to Bestwood in 1955 and Forest Fields Grammar took over the Stanley Rd premises I started at Forest Fields in September 1961 having m

Posted Images

I left Crane in 1955 to go to Peveril Bi-Lateral. You must be raound about the same age as I am. With Crane being a school where the sexes did not mix officially, the culture shock of going to a mixed school was tremendous.

Amesbury Circus is a place to avoid, the time elapsed has not been kind to the whole area. Do you recall an female names from your schooldays?

Ann ;)

I left Crane in 1955 to go to Peveril Bi-Lateral.  You must be raound about the same age as I am.  With Crane being a school where the sexes did not mix officially, the culture shock of going to a mixed school was tremendous.

Amesbury Circus is a place to avoid, the time elapsed has not been kind to the whole area.  Do you recall an female names from your schooldays?

Ann ;)

Irene Halford, June Houlton, Rosemary Morley, Diane & Georgina Childs, Celia Hufton, Jacqueline Searle, Jill Roberts, Gillian Twigger, Gloria? Timmins, Valerie Grace, Janet Oswin, Eunice Parr, Jean Waller, Isobel Ratcliffe or Radcliffe?, Delia Bostock, Yvonne Unwin, Sandra Watkins.......and some others that I didn't fancy :Kiss:

Cheers

Robt P.

Did Delia Bostock have an older sister called Valerie? or where you not that close? I have an older sister called June who is in touch with some of the girls from school. June was born in 1941 so she is three years older than I am, judjing by your recent posting then I assume you to be one year my senior, I could be wrong as in the days of the 11 plus, if you didn't pass the first time then you were allowed a second stab at the 14 plus.

What are your views on this, good or bad?

Do you think mixed schools actually worked at that time or did they set todays trend of kids being kids?

A ;)

Did Delia Bostock have an older sister called Valerie?  or where you not that close?  I have an older sister called June who is in touch with some of the girls from school.  June was born in 1941 so she is three years older than I am, judjing by your recent posting then I assume you to be one year my senior, I could be wrong as in the days of the 11 plus, if you didn't pass the first time then you were allowed a second stab at the 14 plus. 

What are your views on this, good or bad?

Do you think mixed schools actually worked at that time or did they set todays trend of kids being kids?

A ;)

Vaguely remember that Delia did have an elder sister although Valerie doesn't ring a very loud bell.

IIRC, she lived around the Halstead Close section of Tilbury Rise.

The majority of ladies that I listed were from the Amesbury Circus [higher numbers], Bells Lane and Tilbury Rise area.....

Much of our playing time was spent on the Amesbury Circus Children's Park, opened in the early 50's, or 'Fowler's Pond'.... now the site of that hideous hotel by that even more hideous roundabout!

Doubt that mixed/unmixed schools had much effect. The in school relationships were subtly different to those around our homes.

The 11 plus had an awful 'finality' about it which could often penalise bright kids who simply failed to perform on the day.

Whilst appreciating this is the norm for exams/interviews, the age of 11 or 12 seemed awfully young for this particular curtain to be drawn.

I was born in September 1942 at The Firs Maternity Home Sherwood, as were so very many 'first born's' of that era.

Cheers

Robt P.

I have been speaking to my sister about the names you have mentioned and as I thought the name Yvonne Unwin rang a bell. Yvonne was my sisters' bridesmaid when she got married. Yvonne went to live in Australia with her mum and dad but she still comes over to see her sister, Wendy. Last year she stayed with my sister in Skegness for a while before she went back.

It is a small world...

My sister is two years older than you and I am one year younger. I do not recall many boys names from that time as we were looked on as kids and not worth the effort of getting to know.

Nice to know I have something in common with another member, even if it is remote.

A ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I left Crane in 1955 to go to Peveril Bi-Lateral.....

Ann ;)

Ann,

Apparently a book was written entltled 'The William Crane School' by AH Whipple - presumably the Henry Whipple of later school name fame!

I am trying, presently to no avail, to acquire a copy.

Whilst it will be "before our time", it should be interesting nevertheless.

Link to a site describing the demolition:

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/sitemap/c...o_edu_willcrane

Old pupils site, which presumably sank with the school!:

http://www.angliacampus.com/schools/org2823/

Cheers

Robt P.

• 2 months later...
Guest Hugh Janus

I used to got to Peveril (That hallowed Hall of Learning) up till 1969, used to cycle every day from Albury Drive, along Melbourne Road, then onto Robinswood Road. With Tony Parker and Martin Brown. Then I moved to the Wimpey Estate off Stockhill Lane. Had to get a faster bike !

There was a small stone Police Box/Station in the centre reservation on melbourne Road near to it's junction with Nuthall road. It was pulled down when Bar Lane Nick was built. (It was similar to the one at the Hucknall Road / Western Blvd junction.)

Used to pass it every Saturday on my way to Cook's sweet / toy shop on Nuthall Road

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone. I just found this website by accident, and have loved reading everyone's memories of William Crane, Amesbury Circus, Melbourne Rd etc. I was born on Amesbury Circus, Dec '46 next door but one to the old nursery school. I lived there till I got married in '68. My parents lived in the same house all their married lives from '38 onwards. I remember all the old neighbours around me and quite a few further round the Circus, plus the roads that radiated off of it. I went to Crane throughout my school years, and loved every minute. I remember lots of girls in my class and just about all the teachers names. I am still in touch with one teacher, Mrs Portwood, who taught history. I played on the 2 parks, big park and little park, big park had a park keeper in the pavilion who kept his eye on us all. I fished in Fowlers Pond for sticklebacks, and remember the railway crossings on Bells Lane, and Melbourne Rd.

There were 4 shops at the bottom of Bells Lane, Pinketts news and sweets [also one by the Commodore] Bacon's fish and chips, Joe Taylor the butcher [his son Malc delivered our meat] and a fruit and veg shop where we got vinegar from a barrel, bring your own bottle. These were the 'bottom' shops, top shops were on the upper part of Broxtowe Lane. The bottom half of Broxtowe Lane had 3 sets of shops, Ford's being one [sold clothing]

I remember the bike shop someone mentioned on Nuthall Rd, I got my bike from there, a Raleigh Palm Beach. I went to work for Raleigh on leaving school, in the gradual payments dept, and dealt with all the paperwork of folks who had their bike on the never-never, just like mine was. There was also a sweet shop along from there, Bennetts had it. Stansby the chemist too, and the Co-op, and a big electrical shop almost opposite the Newcastle Arms.

My mum and family went to Percy St school, Ike Marshall coal merchant lived next to the school, he was our coalman. Mum went to Guildford school from there. She lives just off Percy St, then the Stockhill Est before she married.

I went to dancing lessons on sat mornings at the Commodore, and borrowed books from Aspley library opposite.

I could go on and on, but had better quit waffling. Hope I've rung some bells with you all.

• Upvote 1

Hi Katyjay,

At last...... another arrival from the elite part of the City! abouttime

My interest in the Forum is semi-restored.....

Read your post with great interest, as I guess will Ann - of our ex-Aspley Lane Branch.

I am also from Amesbury Circus, but the opposite side of the circle from yourself....so perhaps doubtful if I ever took you into Broxtowe Woods smile2

Will reply at more length when I have more time and after I've digested your contribution, which rang about 15 loud bells!

Cheers

Robt P.

Hi Katyjay

Good to see you on this site. Although I am a little younger than you most of the names you mention are very familiar to me. I used to layby goods for christmas at Fords,& I remember Pinketts sweet shop too,when I was living at Whitemoor one of us[there were 3 girls] would walk up there on a Sunday arvo & buy nice sweets & lollies for the black & white movie we used to sit & watch after Sunday lunch,often Bob Hope & Bing Crosby!

Looking forward to more anecdotes from you . B)

No Robert, I think I'd remember if you took me into Broxtowe Woods! I did go in there with the lads on our street, Terry Ashton, Geoff Cousins, Gordon Beresford, to play cowbugs and injuns. Bang bang you're dead [count to ten then you were 'alive' again] I can picture the woods so clearly. The stream alongside the left hands side, which we jumped over to get into the woods. Building dens in the bushes, a natural spring for a drink. At the end of the path were the railway lines, over them and you were in a meadow with masses of wildflowers to pick, and the odd bull to chase you. All built on now. Turn left at the end of the track, and my dad and I would go nutting for hazlenuts, there was also a cycle race track along there, lots of races. I guess the railway lines went to Broxtowe pit to the left, over Bells lane to the right. My aunt lives at no 143 Amesbury Circus until 1954, and the tracks were at the bottom of her garden. I remember the Ufton lads at number 90, their mam Beat was my mam's friend, and their dad was in the army with my dad.

More memories later.

hi katyjay...your posts bought back memories indeed....

i am cazs sister off here and has she said fords...pinketts...wow memories.

when we first moved to whitemoor there was a shoe shop...i fell in love with a pair of t bar red and blue shoes...they also did them in red and yellow !..mum got them for me...and i rem putting them at the side of my bed....waking in the night and gazing at them lovinly !!!

a warm welcome to you.

Hi Katyjay, nice to have another one on here that knows Whitemoor and Aspley well.

When you were at Crane infants/juniors, do you recall an english teacher called Miss Raystrict? She had the most awful cough if I remember.

What about the wooden posts outside the classroom doors that used to hold the french windows back? On my first day at school I sat on one of these things at playtime, a boy called Glynn Chapman came and sat on my head so I bit his bum, almost expeled on my first day.

Because I became one of the tallest in the school when the teachers had meetings with the head I was always sent to the younger classes to read to them until the teacher came back. I don't think it would be allowed today.

Keep posting Katy, it is great to talk to someone who knows the area as well as we all do.

Ann bighug

OK back again. You'll all be sick of me by the time I've finished reminiscing.

Someone mentioned the Unwins, I was at school with Susan, the youngest, until we were 10 or 11. They moved away from Munford Circus after that. Susan is also in Australia, I used to email her. There were 7 kids in the family, she was the youngest.

We lived across the road from the number 22 bus terminus. As a little kid I used to visit the bus conductors/drivers when they were parked for a while. I knew several of them well. One man and wife were a team, her name was Hazel Nutt, I'll never forget that name, he drove the bus, she was the conductoress. Had lipstick in a cupid's bow, bigger than her lips.

Our house backed onto the playing fields, so we used to hop over the 6ft fence as kids and play on there. There was a sandpit further round, behind Sheila Cook's house. [number 78?] We'd play in the nursery grounds too, hopping from rooftop to rooftop. I'd have a fit if my kids had done that! Used to go hedge hopping in the little park, there were 2 squares of grass with a hedge round them. Used to make dens in the bushes too, and catch tons of butterflies on those bushes. Put them in a jar with a hole in the lid, and bingo, they were dead within a short time. The sticklebacks from Fowlers pond didn't fare much better either.

The island at Cinderhill was tiny compared to the size of it now, the 41 trolley bus [or trackless we called it] turned round there. As well as Fowlers Pond over the wall, there was a pool of some kind with concrete steps either side, like the ones at Trent Bridge. I don't know what this was for originally, but we caught fish in there too. Who remembers the pit houses at the island, Holden Square was it? Also Napoleon Sq behind the Barleycorn pub, and the woodyard nr there too.

I know Whitemoor, only because when I visited my grandma in Marlow Ave and aunty round the corner at the top of Bailey St, we got off the bus at the Newcastle Arms and walked through to Basford. Aunty lived a few doors from the beer off opposite the Duke of Newcastle pub, granny was round the corner. I used to go to this beer off as a kid with a jug for her Guinness, and if I was lucky, I could have a Babycham. Yuk, it's 'orrible stuff now, so sweet. Granny would have a poker in the fire ready for my return, and she'd stick the poker in the beer to warm it up. Yum yum, that sounds delicious! NOT.

My cousins went to Whitemoor school, last name Watson if anyone remembers them. Gill, Robert and Freda.

The shops at the top of Broxtowe Lane had a grocers at the end. It was something else before turning into a Co-op [divi number 107353, never forgot it] Next door was Wardles hardware shop, always smelled of parafin. There was a newsagents, a butchers, a pork shop, and Lucy Briggs, haberdashery on the end. We got polony fromthe pork shop. Anyone remember that? It was in a red skin, they cut a piece off a long polony and sold it by the ounce. My mum called it donkey's plonker. I didnt' know this was rude until I went in the shop as a kid and asked for just that! Gave the assistants a laugh if nothing else.

Ok, someone else's turn, more next time.

Hello everyone. I just found this website by accident, and have loved reading everyone's memories of William Crane, Amesbury Circus, Melbourne Rd etc. I was born on Amesbury Circus, Dec '46 next door but one to the old nursery school. I lived there till I got married in '68................

With the proviso that I’m 4 years older than yourself – my span was 1942 to 1967 – those that I remember from your part (and roads off) of the Circus are:

Clive Marigold, Pete Ford, Craig Hobday [Ainsdale Crescent], Chris Dracott [Eltham Drive], Janet Oswin hearteyes , Richard Bexon [Eltham Close], Terry Hurt and Tony? Foster [Wareham Close] – who became an internationally acclaimed classical concert violinist, but died in his early 30’s.

Reckon I also knew the Ufton’s, didn’t they have 2 elder daughters named Sheila & Celia? Or am I thinking of another family, of the same name, nearer to my house at 223?

Fond memories of big park/little park……

Was present at the official opening of little park swings/roundabouts, circa 1951.

Lady Mayoress turned up in a Roller, first and last ever on the Circus!

The original park-keeper was Jack Cooper, known to all and sundry as ‘Beanpole’.

Played soccer for Crane Juniors on big park, as well as many impromptu football kick-abouts too…we usually climbed over from the Tilbury Rise end…..armed with a plastic ‘Frido’ football, which only lasted until it’s first encounter with the barbed wire ring which sat atop the fences of the backed on houses.

Your Bell’s Lane shop summary appears to be spot on….additionally, the chip shop was originally run by the Wragg family – I went to Crane with the son Clive; their big seller was the now defunct ‘Sando’s Pie’ (LA Sanderson of Bulwell)….I used to love’em, but my dog wouldn’t eat it!

The greengrocers, complete with vinegar barrel, were the Harrison’s….a rather dour couple, who couldn’t muster a smile between them.

Malc Taylor was a very close schoolmate; we spent many happy hours on Fowlers Pond.

Reckon that Angi, Ann, Caz and Smithylass were more regular users of Pinkett’s Nuthall Road branch which, IIRC, was managed by the children Mick & Olivia Pinkett. The whole family comprising the Grandma, her son Harold and his wife Olive together with their children, all lived on salubrious Drummond Avenue at Nuthall – well away from the proles who used either of their shops.

Shame that I’m old enough to recall that prior to becoming ‘Pinkett’s’, both shops were previously owned by the Gribby family….

Now need time to regroup my addled memory cells, in order to post again on the ‘Top Shops/Bottom Shops/Nuthall Road’ scenarios.

Cheers

Robt P.

Hi Rob

I am not familiar with the names you told me, except perhaps Terry Hurt. If he was the one living in Wareham Close, then I was in the same class as his sister June. There was a Foster family living next to our friends the Uftons. These Uftons were 4 boys, I think there was a Les, and definitely an Alan, Michael and Peter. Michael was my age. There was also a Hufton family around number 184, maybe they had the girls? I have a polling list from 1958 of Amesbury Circus/Wareham Close/Ainsdale Cres and it's wonderful to look at the family names in each house. Everyone over 21 is listed. You must have been just about all the way around as it only went up to 231 on the odd side [no offense!] and 190 on the even. This last house was Annie Birch, same name as my grandma on my dad's side. She had a son who played cricket for Notts County I do believe [or was it a grandson] She lived next to little park. I didn't realise it was only opened in '51, it always seemed to be there. I remember Mr Cooper, [or Parkie as we called him] he carried me home once when I came a cropper off the swings.

Fancy you knowing Malc Taylor. I used to have a crush on him, but he never looked my way, aaaaah. His dad Joe, had slicked down hair, smallish man. I remember the name Gribby. Didn't they have a hut at one time for selling stuff?

I used to skate down Bells Lane on tin roller skates [shook the teeth out of your head] for 3 pennorth of chips, plenty of fish bits, from Bacon's. I remember Walbrook Close being built between the 2 sets of 2 shops. Just past these shops were the crossing gates, then on the left was a grassy bank, a fence and a field behind it. Weren't there cows in this field? Oh the freedom of those days, to go off all day long with not a care in the world, so long as you were back at a reasonable hour, nobody worried.

That's really funny Katyjay,I remember Donkeys plonker really well,couldn't stand it, was way too peppery for me. Another memory is the hot poker in the beer, as a child I remember my grandad who lived in Cardwell Terrace at Hyson Green doing this,we would get him his jug of beer from the offy & when we got back he would plunge his poker into the jug,never ever knew why he did it. I sort of thought it might have been to kill the bubbles, but now I know B) thanks Katy.

I have really enjoyed reading your memories & finally we have got back to what this site was all about good old fashioned Nottstalgia !! :Friends:

Forgot to ask if you knew the Jones family from Aspley,around your time I think??

Does anyone know if there was a butchers run by the Norrish family?I was at school with their daughter Janet but can't remember if the shop was in that locality.

I remember Pinketts and the Co-op on the corner of Melbourne Rd.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Did you go to Peveril ?