Hey Frank!

Christine Jones is my de facto sister in law!!!! She has just left Australia to visit all her rellies for a month. I have previously posted & asked if anyone knew her, how wonderful! I met her brother Dennis & his wife for the 1st time last year & have met a few of her other rellies Val being one of them. As far as I know the rest are all well & still living in Nottm & surrounding areas. What's your wife's name Frank, I will let Chris know when she returns,she will be rapt.

Guess what we are sort of related ...........LOL

Caz

Hi Caz - small world 'innit.

Wifes name is Shirley (Ryan), with sisters Pat, Kath and Kay. Sadly, Kay passed away 2 years ago aged 49.

Shirleys mum (Betty) is the twin of Christines mum Edith

Me and Shirley met up with Chris and George in Melbourne about 2 years ago. They travelled down our hotel and stayed overnight.

We should be meeting Chris next week or so for a drink

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And finally 1965/66. I'm not very good at putting names to faces but some of the lads I remember are Steven Smalley, Phillip Broughton, Neil Crosby, David Baird, David Anscombe, Michael Lilley, John B

Hello everyone. I just found this website by accident, and have loved reading everyone's memories of William Crane, Amesbury Circus, Melbourne Rd etc. I was born on Amesbury Circus, Dec '46 next door

Gilberts continued to thrive after High Pavement School moved up to Bestwood in 1955 and Forest Fields Grammar took over the Stanley Rd premises I started at Forest Fields in September 1961 having m

Posted Images

Well well well. Small world indeed. Hope you have a nice time with Chris & George say hi to them,hope the weather stays nice & warm for their visit.

• 1 year later...

Hi I attended Peveril School from 55 to59 lived oposite and attd Berridge rd school .

Emmigrated to Canada in 76 to Calgary - 30c yesterday but now retired to Vancouver Island

Peveril School Principal was Sam Ward Mr Cole and Killer Keywood --an anoying little guy he had a

Velocette motorbike with blocks on the pedals There was also a Mr Wragg for metalwork. Some of the pupils names that come to mind are Adrian White .Mike Munday .Susan Snowden .Frank Hodder .Mike Morris .Richard Brown. Josephine Peas .Kathleen Whinning.Dave Stanley

Went on a trip Switzerland in 57 one of the Searsys from the TV repair shop on Alfreton was bitten by a snake and Janet Morley nearly drowned in the pool

Would really like to hear from anyone from this time Paul R

• 2 months later...

My brother started work at the Aspley cinema in 1954 when he left school. He went to the Crane School, as did we both, we lived on Withern Road in Broxtowe, quite nice then but a right tip I believe now.

Me to Lizzie - I left William Crane in July '67 - lived on Bradfield opposite Withern

I'm confused...

Had a mate who lived on Bidford Road, and he was sent to John Player Juniors...

Would have assumed that Bradfield Road/Withern Road were also in the Player catchment area?

Cheers

Robt P.

Yes it was Rob, but I had an elder brother already in William Crane and I elected to follow him, instead of my other elder brother and sister who were at Players.

It seems that my 11+ exam results and other test results were sufficient to allow me entry into W C. I never regretted the decision and came top or almost top in every year. I ended up disappointing the tutors though when I made the decision to leave in year 4 instead of continuing on the GCSE.

Regretted it later and finally achieved my degree in 1998 at the age of 45

Rob237

Yes you are quite right Cocked Hat side of Broxtowe Lane also went to Players, we moved there in 1957 but somebody told my mum Crane was a better school so on the first day of school she took me to down to Crane and that's were I stayed until 1962. Anybody know the Daft ( surname) family that lived on Bideford Road?

Val

We left Broxtowe in 1957 and you are obviously much younger than me, when you left school I was married with 2 kids and living in Singapore.

Hi Kath,

My brother's name is Barry Pownall, it is possible that he knew your brother while they were at school

Marge

Hi Rob,

We too were in the Player catchment area and most of the kids on the road went there, but like your Mum ours decided the Crane was better plus our grandparents lived on Minver crescent opposite the boys senior entrance.

Marge

We left Broxtowe in 1957 and you are obviously much younger than me, when you left school I was married with 2 kids and living in Singapore.

Changi or what? (Been there done that)

No, Army, 3 BOD, great place then had a really good time out there.

Did you get to go down Boogie Street? Aggie Westons The Ville?

Went there in 77 and then again in 90 ,all gone what a shame!!!!!!!!!

No, I never went to Boogie street, but my husband did before I joined him out there. We were there from 1966 to 1968 and it was wonderful, everything there was geared up for the British services. Will never be the same again.

I went to Crane, infants and juniors, left in 1966 to go to Forest Fields which was then on Berridge Road before we moved to Carlton Hill, where a new school had been built adjacent to Manvers school, twas a bit of a journey from Aspley, bus to Woolaton Street then one to Carlton, I can remember one bad winter when all the buses had stopped and I had to walk all the way home, got a rollicking off mi Mother 'cos I was late welcomehome

I moved from William Crane to Forest Fields when it first opened, we were the first pupils there, even where it was then was a bad enough journey from Broxtowe, bus and then a long walk.

I moved from William Crane to Forest Fields when it first opened, we were the first pupils there, even where it was then was a bad enough journey from Broxtowe, bus and then a long walk.

That must have been 54/55...

I was there in 53/54 during it's final year as High Pavement Grammar School, which then relocated to their new building on Gainsford Crescent, Bestwood...now razed to the ground, with houses built upon!

As a 12 year old I cycled daily fom Amesbury Circus for that year, via Dulverton Vale, Broxtowe Lane, Nuthall Road, Wilkinson Street, Gladstone Street to Stanley Road without batting an eye...

50+ years on, I coudn't even manage the Dulverton Vale/Broxtowe Lane steep downhill section!

Numerous pictures of the old school, in both guises, have appeared in the Forum over the years.

Cheers

Robt P.

Will try and find the photos on the forum, the old school is still there, one of my favorite classrooms was what we used as the Art room, right at the top, you could see the Forest from there which I loved when Goose Fair was on :yahoo:

Can anyone remember the little corner shop just outside the gates, Gilberts ? You could call in before school and order a cob for dinner, Mrs Gilbert used to write your order on the little white bag that your cob went in, along the floor of the shop was a row of sweet jars that you'd pass to them to weigh out for you, you'd then replace the jar for them, 2oz of chocolate drops for me thumbsup

Can anyone remember the little corner shop just outside the gates, Gilberts ?...

Which reminds me of an amusing tale...

When Pavement moved to Bestwood, a deal was done whereby the Stanley Road corner shop still supplied the new school, at their morning break...including the very popular 'loaf', which was simply a large circular bap with a thin margarine coating - very much a post-war austerity delicacy.

The shopkeeper [can't remember if his name was Gilbert] drove the supplies over mid-morning in his A30 van. He was then obliged to carry numerous large metal trays across the playground from his van to the sales point. One icy winter's day he slipped on the ice, and his tray full of cream buns went 15 feet in the air before landing in an unholy mess all across the playground. He wasn't the most popular character due to to his somewhat surly manner, so the cheers and hilarity of several hundred pupils - watching from their classrooms - effectively worsened the whole incident for him!

Cheers

Robt P.

• 1 month later...

Lizzie

Just heard from my brother [Dave Birch] today, and he remembers your brother Barry. from his Crane days.

Kath

• 3 months later...

Mmmm, why am I not surprised? Anyway, I've figured out you are a big old fake, with your bad spelling ang grammar.l If you can spell The Concerned Resident and post some decent replies every now and again, you are putting on an act.

i were born on Albury drive, aspley...then to crane and peveril...both crap skools hated every minute got caned all the time fer fitin , thats wor appened to me !"

Who were you fighting Nott'm Girls school??

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Did you go to Peveril ?