Welcome Paul Widdowson.

I remember Dorraine Parrish. She was older than I am but I think she was a friend of Jean Pollard, younger sister of Sue Pollard. Sue and my older sister, Julie, were at Peveril together. We spent a lot of time at the Pollard house on Prospect Terrace. Do you remember Jean?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And finally 1965/66. I'm not very good at putting names to faces but some of the lads I remember are Steven Smalley, Phillip Broughton, Neil Crosby, David Baird, David Anscombe, Michael Lilley, John B

Hello everyone. I just found this website by accident, and have loved reading everyone's memories of William Crane, Amesbury Circus, Melbourne Rd etc. I was born on Amesbury Circus, Dec '46 next door

Gilberts continued to thrive after High Pavement School moved up to Bestwood in 1955 and Forest Fields Grammar took over the Stanley Rd premises I started at Forest Fields in September 1961 having m

Posted Images

Hi Jill.

Dorraine was actually my girlfriend she was a year younger than me so a year lower at school, I cannot remember her best friends name or confirm that she was friends with Jean Pollard, so no

I cannot remember Jean,  

Nice of you to post a reply Thanks,.

• Upvote 1
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Anthony here...

Umm the last posting for Peveril was Feb 2018... I hope somebody is still interested in Peveril, as attended the school from 1970-72.

Don't know why I was shipped out all the way out to Aspley to go to the secondary school.....we lived on Acourt Street, Hyson Green at the time. My best mates were Gary Orange, who lived on Cope Street, Stephen Fox (Southey Street) and Glenn Marshall who lived in the tall flats off Hartley Road (can't remember the name of the flats, but I think he lived on the 7th floor.

My fondest memories about the school was the cricket, (No1 Batsman), and Javelin. I hated running long distances round the track ie 400 and 800yds in those days (I think). I also enjoyed woodwork and metal work too, although I have no recollection of the names of teachers. PS - Academically I was a late developer, but came good at other schools, colleges and university.

I had a crush on Elaine Brown who was in my same year at the time. I don't think she knew - I was very shy!! 

My two friends and I would spend the threepence bus fare and walk back from school in the summer months, and would go scrumping and raiding birds nests for eggs in the allotments on the corner of Aspley Lane and Western Boulevard - those were carefree days.

Talking about my friends - on Friday nights we all went to Glen's flat, his parents would go out for the night and leave us to our own devices!! We gorged on crisps, sandwiches, cakes, sweets and Corona Dandelion and Burdock (burp). The entertainment on the tele was The Goodies - Goodies, Goody Goody Yum Yum.

Anthony 

• Like 1

Jill

No - it was straight to Peveril for me. Obviously Berridge would have saved a lot of walking and buses.

I have thought about this before and have considered the Peveril was the best location for me. Berridge was in a very cramped location from memory (they must have used the Forest for sports, I don't know). Peveril had a great big playing field, it was virtually the countryside!!

Anthony

Anthony. I attended Berridge although I tried to get into Cottesmore. Berridge playing fields were a short walk away on Nuttall Rd. There were two classrooms and a metalwork shop there as well as a football pitch and gardens for students. btw my forum name is not related to Peveril School but to where I lived. Pity you were not christened as 'Robin'. There would then have been no doubt that our man came from Nottingham :biggrin: 

Anthony here....

Hi Peveril Pete - I had to check Google for your location..... It must be draughty at Peveril Castle!! Straight question - Is there an area called Peveril, or are you referring to the actual school area ie Aspley?

Hi Jill - You suspected correctly - Berridge Senior Boys sounds before my time. Thanks for the complement though.

Anthony

• 3 years later...
On 8/19/2005 at 10:11 PM, darcy83 said:

My husbands family are from Aspley, "Whelpton Clan" all attended William Crane School. Some of family still live on Melbourne road and whitemoor estate. There are two sisters and 1 brother all around 50-58 years old. Strange lot :blink: , but eh can't chose in laws.

I'm bumping this thread but the name Whelpton rang a vague bell and a search brought me here.

Today, I've corresponded with a Tony Whelpton who lived on Berridge Road as a child. He went to High Pavement Grammar and then onwards and upwards into the airy world of lecturing in education. Tony was born in 1946. Do any of our High Pavement alumni recall him? 

Thought perhaps he might have been around during the time of @DJ360

Tony Whelpton is a Facebook friend of mine, lives in Gloucester and is the father-in-law of one of the directors of our company.  Doubt if Col would have any school contacts who knew him at school because he’s nearly 90 years old, he’s telling you porkies if he said he was born in 1946.  A lovely man.  

@katyjay and @LizzieM  It could be the same person. He does live in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. I ran him through births deaths and marriages but the only person of that name who came up was born in 1946. However, that may not be him. Possibly not known to any of our High Pavement alumni, then.  Certainly, I wouldn't dare to suggest that DJ360 is approaching nonegenarianism!!  Is that even a word?  Has High Pavement been going that long?

He didn't tell me he was born in 1946. He was the only person of that name born in Nottingham I could find!

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Peveril or William Crane

He didn't tell me he was born in 1946! However, if he's the age you say he is, it would make sense that he was supervising the teaching practice of someone born in 1945! It almost certainly is the same person, Lizzie.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I'm bumping this thread but the name Whelpton rang a vague bell and a search brought me here.

Today, I've corresponded with a Tony Whelpton who lived on Berridge Road as a child. He went to High Pavement Grammar and then onwards and upwards into the airy world of lecturing in education. Tony was born in 1946. Do any of our High Pavement alumni recall him? 

Thought perhaps he might have been around during the time of @DJ360

All I can say is that I didn't personally know a Tony Whelpton at HP.

Born 1946 would put him 2/3 years ahead of me and probably more a contemporary of the infamous Harold Shipman.

• 8 months later...

This is William Crane (North) Juniors in 1962/63. William Crane split into boys and girls for the junior school, boys were in north and girls were in south. I was in the last ever boys only stream. the years coming up after me were all co-ed. My brother was younger than me so stayed at the south shool in a mixed class because south was nearer to where we used to live on Allendale Avenue, but I had to walk all the way round Minver Crescent to the North side. it seemed like a long way back then!

the teacher on the left was (I think) Mr. Holmes and the headteacher on the right was Mr. Metcalfe.

looks like there were 34 boys in the class and no teaching assistants back then!

Wm-Crane-1963.jpg

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Did you go to Peveril ?