Did anyone go to either William Crane on Minver Crescent or William Peveril on Robinswood Road? (now The Manning School for Girls.)

Peveril opened in 1955, while William Crane has recently closed its doors for the last time.

A

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And finally 1965/66. I'm not very good at putting names to faces but some of the lads I remember are Steven Smalley, Phillip Broughton, Neil Crosby, David Baird, David Anscombe, Michael Lilley, John B

Hello everyone. I just found this website by accident, and have loved reading everyone's memories of William Crane, Amesbury Circus, Melbourne Rd etc. I was born on Amesbury Circus, Dec '46 next door

Gilberts continued to thrive after High Pavement School moved up to Bestwood in 1955 and Forest Fields Grammar took over the Stanley Rd premises I started at Forest Fields in September 1961 having m

Posted Images

Hi Tutanic

I didn't but I know somebody who did. Her name was Christine Jones do you know her at all??

PS where did your tag come from??

I went to Crane School until 1955 and then Peveril until I left school at 15 in 1959, now you know how ancient I am on the outside.

The name doesn't ring a bell but perhaps if you tell me what region she lived that may strike a chord. My sister went to Crane as well so you have got two brains on the job, mind you she is older than me so we probably won't make a complete brain between us. Our name before we married was Staley, June is my sister and i'm known as Ann.

The name Tutanic comes from trying to sign on in the dark, it was meant to be Titanic but I hit the wrong key and like the ship I was sunk...

A :P

Hello Ann,

I was just speaking to Chris yesterday & she lived on Melbourne Rd, she has quite a few brothers & sisters living in Nottm & surrounding areas,& I know one of her brothers is called Geoff. As a youngster she hung around with Denise Kind, does any of this ring any bells??

PS

Don't worry about the spelling of your name I often have a drink whilst i'm reading the posts on here & when trying to reply to something the keyboard has a mind of it's own!!

Melbourne Road was about 50 yards from where I lived an Aspley Lane. Is she round about my age? Melbourne Park holds some very good memories for me. She should have memories of that as well!!

People I can remember on Melbourne Road were the Dexters and the Baxters, Melbourne goes through to Nuttall Road and the Aspley Cinema, (later the Commodore Ballroom)

I lived opposite the Salvation Army on the Lane, she may know that.

Is she my age?? or is that a secret....and which scool did she attend, Crane or Peveril??

Ann :P

PS Having a tipple sounds a good idea, it may possibly assist in signing in correctly.

Hello Ann

Yes she will definately remember Melbourne park who doesn't? I lived at Whitemoor for a few years before I was married so I know that area very well, in fact my mum still lives there. I was chatting to Chris on the weekend & I think she said she went to both schools............would that be right??

I remember she told me she used to go up Robinswood Rd so that sounds right doesn't it? It would be great if you two did remember each other.

She lives in Australia now & has done for a long time,though she visits the UK quite regularly & most of her family have been to Oz too. Yeah the tipple is definately a good idea makes it so much easier when the boys!!?? start whineing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ps

Forgot to say I think she's about 56ish??

Peveril School was on Robinswood Road, still is under the name of Manning school for girls. She would have gone to Crane until she was 11 and then to Peveril until she left at 15/16.

I left Peveril in 1959 which was a year before she would have started there. This makes me 61 this year so there is quite an age gap when talking about school. though we come from the same area we were in a different time warp.

We used to go to Whitemoor club before we found out what pubs were for. Names I can remember from then are, Jean Whittaker, she had an elder brother called Jim. Jean Wood, Dave and Colin Cooper, A girl called Cecillia, Daz, who should have been called Darren or Darryl. Tim who had a motorbike, very swish. Probably your mum would remember the club, more her era. Also frequented Whitemoor park, more happy memories.

A :P

Looks like we might have hit a dead end Toots, but I'll check on the weekend & see if Chris has a few titbits to tell me.

My mum wouldn't know the Whitemoor club as she didn't move there until she was quite old[45ish].Do you go to Whitemoor very often nowdays? it's changed quite a bit since we were young,not for the better either. Where do you live now Toots still in Nottm??

I haven't been to Whitemoor for years, The last time I went was to buy a sewing machine from Beech Avenue and I think that is more likely Basford than Whitemoor. You can't take the memories though and I sure have plenty of those....

I am sure if we keep going we will find something we have in common, even if its only enjoying this Forum.

Ann :P

• 4 months later...

My husbands family are from Aspley, "Whelpton Clan" all attended William Crane School. Some of family still live on Melbourne road and whitemoor estate. There are two sisters and 1 brother all around 50-58 years old. Strange lot :blink: , but eh can't chose in laws. 3 ah distant memory of why we left blighty crazy !!! Only kidding!!!

Looks like our decision is 99% made and will be returning to Nottingham next June. Will i make next years invite for Xmas do!!! Friends

Caz has a friend who lived on Melbourne Road, when she reads the posting she may know who you are talking about.

Being 61 now, it would make me three years older and you know what it was like, don't mix with the youngsters...

Does your husband remember the Police Box at the bottom of Melbourne Road and the railway lines that used to cross the road?

Many happy hours spent down there.

A Fool

Hubbie remebers the old railway line. Also the Melbourne youth club. Sure he has being lying to me about his age, claims he is only 33!!!!! Also that his wrinkles are from the sun!!! tease Think this needs looking into. :ph34r:

The Aspley Cinema is now no more, it changed to a restaraunt some years ago but has now closed its doors for good.

We used to go over the railway line on Melbourne Park, I think we called it Piggies Way, it came out on Nutthall Road, some where near the cycle shop. Or opposite the Newcastle pub.

Long time ago...

A crazy

I think I remember the cycle shop,was it there in the 70's?

Talking of the Newcastle pub, my mum lives at whitemoor & when we visit we occasionally go to the Newcastle. When we were last there, Karaoke was on & there was a bloke doing Elvis..............mmmm not to be missed Shock tease.

And as Toots said I have a rellie who lived at Aspley & went to Crane school, her name is Christine Jones do you know her??

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot remember a police station as such, the only thing I remember with regard to the police was a wooden building at the bottom of Melbourne Road, Melbourne being a sort of duel carrage way, it was at Nutthall Road end in the middle of the central reservation. This faced up Melbourne Road. I believe it came down when I was about 19/20, so that would be 1963/4.

Hope this helps.

A crazy crazy

My hubby was borne on Aimsbury Circus in Aspley,his grandparents lived on Melborne Rd,the side that backed onto the park. They lived in 1 of the chalet type houses with the funny shaped roof.His Aunt told us when she wasn't allowed out she used to climb out the window and slide down the roof. He went to Percy St infant/juniors then Ellis.I lived in Basford,went to Whitemoor inf/jun then Guilford. :rolleyes:

Where was Percy St school Angi? I think my mum went there ,she used to live on Hyson green as a child?

Hi Caz, It's tucked inbetween Alpine St and Stockhill,Percy St being the bit in the middle.It's all 1 road and I couldn't tell you where 1 finishes and the other starts.There's a twichell (now there's a Nottingham word) that runs up 1 side of the school that takes you up to Stockhill Circus and comes out by Guilford school gates.Us gells used it every day when going to and from there,all in our green uniforms,needless to say i've had an aversion to green ever since.

It's not very near to Hyson Green so i'd dought if your mum went there.

The houses you mention are known affectionately as dutch bonnet houses. If I remember on that side of the road there was a council plasterer named John, do you have any recolection of anyone on Melbourne who owned a parrot, and no he was not any relation to Long John Silver. I think her last name was Taylor. The parrot had the most suggestive laugh you have ever heard, it used to fasinate me as a youngster.

I used to live on Bobbers Mill Road when I first met my other half, in the dolls houses. The other halfs first wife lived on Peters Street on Hyson Green. There was also Sheila Lees, she worked in a pet shop, she once took a snake to the pictures in her handbag and it escaped, they never did find it. Very strange girl was Sheila, her nick name after that was always Snakie.

A crazy crazy

Had an email from Bob at Notscop regarding a few things I asked him, he will look into the hut on Melbourne Road and see what he can find. Hesends his best wishes to all on site and will come and have a moan asap.

A crazy crazy

NB Before you have a go, I know it has been demolished so he cannot look into it but you know what I mean, He will make some enquiries...

Non of those names ring any bells. there was a girl who's first name I cant remember but har last name was Lee,she had a younger brother and sister who were twins.She was a bit odd tho.

When I was very young I remember a woman who lived near by had a pet monkey and she used to take it out on a lead.Also down the other end of the road a family had a pet jackdaw.Sometimes they let it out and us kids would scatter as it used to swoop down and try to peck you.It was a bu99er and I wasn't sorry to hear one day that it had died. Vampire

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Did you go to Peveril ?