• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And finally 1965/66. I'm not very good at putting names to faces but some of the lads I remember are Steven Smalley, Phillip Broughton, Neil Crosby, David Baird, David Anscombe, Michael Lilley, John B

Hello everyone. I just found this website by accident, and have loved reading everyone's memories of William Crane, Amesbury Circus, Melbourne Rd etc. I was born on Amesbury Circus, Dec '46 next door

Gilberts continued to thrive after High Pavement School moved up to Bestwood in 1955 and Forest Fields Grammar took over the Stanley Rd premises I started at Forest Fields in September 1961 having m

Posted Images

Here is another school photo from William Crane Juniors North. I think that this is the 1963/64 academic year. The teacher on the right was Mr. Morgan and the headteacher on the left was Mr. Metcalfe. Looks like the class size has increased to 39.

Wm-Crane-1964.jpg

• Upvote 1

And finally 1965/66. I'm not very good at putting names to faces but some of the lads I remember are Steven Smalley, Phillip Broughton, Neil Crosby, David Baird, David Anscombe, Michael Lilley, John Birch, Roy Dexter, ? East and ? Brooks. I am far right 2nd row standing (Roy Johnson).

Roy Dexter and John Birch both went on to play cricket for Nottinghamshire. John eventually went on to captain the side and later became a coach. 

Wm-Crane-1966.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just read the whole of this thread.......but didn't go to Peveril or William Crane.....however found it one of the most interesting......Pity a lot of the posters no longer do so...

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

I've found a Wiiliam Crane School magazine "The Venture" from 1966. There are some adverts in it from businesses around Aspley and Nuttall Road that have now sadly all gone. Maybe one or two of you Nottsalgians might remember them.

https://postimg.cc/TL4n5CR3

https://postimg.cc/gXCqBN1B

https://postimg.cc/nMLxRGqT

https://postimg.cc/NLb6YB9B

• Like 1

I certainly remember Major's cake shop on Gregory Boulevard, near to Males' the pork butchers. Major's on Gregory Boulevard was run by a couple of ladies who seemed very elderly to me as a child but were probably younger than I am now!  Their cakes were displayed on cakestands in the window and, when purchased, were always in a box with a fancy ribbon round it. Must admit, I didn't realise they had other branches.

• Like 1

I remember Majors on Aspley Lane. It was always a must when visiting granny on Minver Crescent. It was in the block of the shops to the left of The Beacon. One of few shops I do remember there.

Major's on Gregory Boulevard was a high class cake shop but rather expensive. Further along, there was a bakery/confectionery shop. It was a family concern. Dad did the baking onsite, assisted by his wife and their daughter served in the shop. The smell in there was just heavenly! Dad would appear through a sliding door at the back of the counter with wooden trays of bread, straight out of the ovens. They made their own cakes and pastries. Whilst not as highly decorated as those for sale in Major's, the cakes were beautiful and my mum usually bought hers from there. The bread was wrapped in tissue paper. Not a plastic bag in sight. I loved that shop.

Yes Clifton,  I've been looking some of them up on streetview. Hilda Marriott is now Vivian's Nail and Beauty Salon, B. Sheffield and Sons is now Bees Bargain Beds and Furniture,  Deeleys fruit and veg is now Atmoe Vapes and Hadlums Fish Bar is now Kullys ((permanently closed). It would have been nice if at least one of those original businesses had kept going. 

16 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Major's on Gregory Boulevard was a high class cake shop but rather expensive. Further along, there was a bakery/confectionery shop. It was a family concern. Dad did the baking onsite, assisted by his wife and their daughter served in the shop. The smell in there was just heavenly! Dad would appear through a sliding door at the back of the counter with wooden trays of bread, straight out of the ovens. They made their own cakes and pastries. Whilst not as highly decorated as those for sale in Major's, the cakes were beautiful and my mum usually bought hers from there. The bread was wrapped in tissue paper. Not a plastic bag in sight. I loved that shop.

Hello Jill, was that shop near the corner of Bentinck Road? I used to live on Northumberland Terrace just off Gregory Boulevard and I remember a little baker's shop. They used to do lovely cherry bakewells and custard tarts. Northumberland Terrace was demolished many years ago.

No, it was in the row of shops that included Hyson Green post office on Gregory Boulevard. The shop is still there but the bakery is long gone.  The man who ran it must have had to get up at a ridiculously early hour every morning to start baking but the family lived on the several floors above the shop, so at least he didn't have far to travel to work.

• 2 months later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Did you go to Peveril ?