It seems like the teachers had their own implements for punishment

Wragg a 3ft steel rule

Salavanski a plimsol

RI i thought that guy was a Nazi he put me off religion for life

Ward a real cane

& of course i tried them all, I would even get it for something i hadnt done like homework etc

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gilberts continued to thrive after High Pavement School moved up to Bestwood in 1955 and Forest Fields Grammar took over the Stanley Rd premises I started at Forest Fields in September 1961 having m

Hi Jill.          Dorraine was actually my girlfriend she was a year younger than me so a year lower at school, I cannot remember her best friends name or confirm that she was friends with Jean P

Anthony here...   Umm the last posting for Peveril was Feb 2018... I hope somebody is still interested in Peveril, as attended the school from 1970-72.   Don't know why I was shipp

Posted Images

Will try and find the photos on the forum, the old school is still there, one of my favorite classrooms was what we used as the Art room, right at the top, you could see the Forest from there which I loved when Goose Fair was on :yahoo:

Can anyone remember the little corner shop just outside the gates, Gilberts ? You could call in before school and order a cob for dinner, Mrs Gilbert used to write your order on the little white bag that your cob went in, along the floor of the shop was a row of sweet jars that you'd pass to them to weigh out for you, you'd then replace the jar for them, 2oz of chocolate drops for me thumbsup

Gilberts continued to thrive after High Pavement School moved up to Bestwood in 1955 and Forest Fields Grammar took over the Stanley Rd premises

I started at Forest Fields in September 1961 having moved to Russell Road from Elstree Drive Aspley in the summer of 1961.

Russell Road was a only 5 minutes walk from the school so I used to go home nearly every lunchtime but most of my friends would cycle or use the bus to get to school. I think Gilberts was preferred to school dinners by lots of the schoolkids.

Even at morning break Gilberts did a roaring trade with kids nipping out and buying stuff.

I think it was around 1963 that Stanley Road was closed to through traffic and gates and fencing were put across the road. Thereafter only the older kids were allowed out the school.

I well remember giving a friend higher up the school my 6d for him to bring me back a ring doughnut (3d) and a packet of Golden Wonder crisps (3d) from Gilberts.

Mr Gilbert was a bit surly but Mrs Gilbert was always pleasant and chirpy. I recall Mr Gilbert was often present at school events sporting a bowler hat. On reflection he might have been on the board of governors.

They had two kids at the school when I was there. A boy and his younger sister. They both excelled musically. Violin and piano I think.

I also remember being able to see Goose Fair from the art room at the top of the school. In the 60's Goose Fair opened at midday on Thursday so most of the school used to rush down to the Forest to enjoy the fair.I no longer live in Nottingham but return with the family every October for Goose Fair.

You could also see Wollaton Hall from the upper hall.

In the severe winter of 1963 we all went sledging there because it was too cold and snowy for games. I was frozen to the marrow by the time I got home but it still didn't stop me going down to the Forest in the evening to carry on sledging there. I was late to bed that night because I came off my sledge and split my chin open so it was down to casualty on the bus for stitches.

When I drove past the school a few months back I noticed all the corner shops outside the school have now been converted to living accomodation.

As well as Gilberts there was a sweet shop and a Fish & Chip shop (Harpers I think). The chip shop packed up in the early sixties. I think the one on Berridge/Ewart (Carsons?) was more popular.

Hope I haven't bored you all silly but when I start on about my life in Nottingham in the 60's I find it hard to stop 'cos it was just an amazing time for me. Forest Fields, Goose Fair, The Beatles and Notts County are never far from my thoughts.

• Upvote 1

...when I start on about my life in Nottingham in the 60's I find it hard to stop 'cos it was just an amazing time for me. Forest Fields, Goose Fair, The Beatles and Notts County are never far from my thoughts.

:) Look forward to seeing your recollections in other areas too then ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Gilberts continued to thrive after High Pavement School moved up to Bestwood in 1955 and Forest Fields Grammar took over the Stanley Rd premises

I started at Forest Fields in September 1961 having moved to Russell Road from Elstree Drive Aspley in the sum Goose Fair, The Beatles and Notts County are never far from my thoughts.

I lived on elstree dr #81 top corner

Did you go sledging at woolaton park that year thats where i went

But could also do it down the railway bridge hill at the back of the house down to the traffic island at the bottom

• 3 months later...

Hi

I went to both....- left Peveril in the 'summer of 69'

Lots of memories, good and bad...

I could never ever say I was late for school at Peveril, used to live right opposite at number 65 Robins Wood

So, Stanley Clark, Headmistress's face I can see, but not her name, Miss Jones Dep Headmistress ??

Wallace Wragg (and his 2 daughters) Malcolm Pratt (Woodwork) Miss Innocent, Mr Hinks (PE) Mr Robson (Geography) Andy Bacon (Woodwork) Mr Smith (Music) Mr Holder (English) Mr Robey (Tech drawing) Mrs Gascoyne ? (Domestic science) and a Curly haired woman for RI/RE

Any I've missed ??

PJ !hand!

• 2 years later...

Just found this thread. I went to Peveril from from 1960 - 1964 and others I can remember were Carol Wade, Pat Whincup, Christine Ward, Janet Ward, The Duffy twins Maureen & Margaret, Lorraine Coats, Christine Scott, Malcom Jarvis, Johnny Manners, Andrew Bridges, Kenny Bull, Phillip Dobson, Sue Kinton, John Evans, Lee Evans.

Also in my year but not my class was Sue Pollard

Teachers I can remember were Mr Ward ( Headmaster ) Queenie Lee ( Headmistress) Mr Pratt, Mr Wragg Mr Fletchem, Mr Cole, Mr Pugh Bernard ? ( R.I. ) Mr Skillbeck,

Any of the above on here ?

I was at William Crane schools for all of my schooling life, which lasted through the late 40s and the 50s, and I was quite upset in later years to find it described on the net as the worst school in the country, or perhaps I was reading it wrong!. It has since closed of course but in my day (as we old gits say) it had quite a good reputation, winning sports cups, competitions and I think I'm right in saying it was one of the first secondary schools in Nottingham to set GCEs for its pupils. I ask old Williams's Cranium --- Craneiism s --- Rats!!! Older fellow pupils - what happened?

• 2 years later...

I was at Peveril secondary finishing in 1970 form 5t2x would be nice to hear from anyone who knows me. Some of the old mates are Alan Pearson (Raspy,) Mark the chelsea fan, Diana  Nelson, Peter Silverton, Terry Bintcliff, Chris Brown, Dorriane Parish and David Selwyn. Teachers  I remember were Head Sam Ward, Metal Work Wragg, Music Smith, Biology Miss Robinson. 

Welcome Paul Widdowson.

I remember Dorraine Parrish. She was older than I am but I think she was a friend of Jean Pollard, younger sister of Sue Pollard. Sue and my older sister, Julie, were at Peveril together. We spent a lot of time at the Pollard house on Prospect Terrace. Do you remember Jean?

Hi Jill.

Dorraine was actually my girlfriend she was a year younger than me so a year lower at school, I cannot remember her best friends name or confirm that she was friends with Jean Pollard, so no

I cannot remember Jean,  

Nice of you to post a reply Thanks,.

• Upvote 1
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Anthony here...

Umm the last posting for Peveril was Feb 2018... I hope somebody is still interested in Peveril, as attended the school from 1970-72.

Don't know why I was shipped out all the way out to Aspley to go to the secondary school.....we lived on Acourt Street, Hyson Green at the time. My best mates were Gary Orange, who lived on Cope Street, Stephen Fox (Southey Street) and Glenn Marshall who lived in the tall flats off Hartley Road (can't remember the name of the flats, but I think he lived on the 7th floor.

My fondest memories about the school was the cricket, (No1 Batsman), and Javelin. I hated running long distances round the track ie 400 and 800yds in those days (I think). I also enjoyed woodwork and metal work too, although I have no recollection of the names of teachers. PS - Academically I was a late developer, but came good at other schools, colleges and university.

I had a crush on Elaine Brown who was in my same year at the time. I don't think she knew - I was very shy!! 

My two friends and I would spend the threepence bus fare and walk back from school in the summer months, and would go scrumping and raiding birds nests for eggs in the allotments on the corner of Aspley Lane and Western Boulevard - those were carefree days.

Talking about my friends - on Friday nights we all went to Glen's flat, his parents would go out for the night and leave us to our own devices!! We gorged on crisps, sandwiches, cakes, sweets and Corona Dandelion and Burdock (burp). The entertainment on the tele was The Goodies - Goodies, Goody Goody Yum Yum.

Anthony 

• Like 1

Jill

No - it was straight to Peveril for me. Obviously Berridge would have saved a lot of walking and buses.

I have thought about this before and have considered the Peveril was the best location for me. Berridge was in a very cramped location from memory (they must have used the Forest for sports, I don't know). Peveril had a great big playing field, it was virtually the countryside!!

Anthony

Anthony. I attended Berridge although I tried to get into Cottesmore. Berridge playing fields were a short walk away on Nuttall Rd. There were two classrooms and a metalwork shop there as well as a football pitch and gardens for students. btw my forum name is not related to Peveril School but to where I lived. Pity you were not christened as 'Robin'. There would then have been no doubt that our man came from Nottingham :biggrin: 

Anthony here....

Hi Peveril Pete - I had to check Google for your location..... It must be draughty at Peveril Castle!! Straight question - Is there an area called Peveril, or are you referring to the actual school area ie Aspley?

Hi Jill - You suspected correctly - Berridge Senior Boys sounds before my time. Thanks for the complement though.

Anthony