As a kid I remember visiting a shop in Nottingham city centre that had a pneumatic tube system. Basically the assistant put the the cash into a small container which was then placed inside a clear plastic tube. The cash was then shot up the tube (with a whoosh!), across the ceiling and into a cash office, where a receipt was prepared and sent back the same way. Absolutely fascinating to watch! The question is, can anyone remember where this shop was, or is it just a figment of my (ageing) imagination?

Pullmans on Lower Parliament Street...across the way from the Ice Stadium.

Been discussed several times before in the Forum...

Cheers

Robt P.

The 'Big coop' on upper parliament street had one , as did Griffin and Spaldings.

They were still being manufactured and installed by Sovex Marshall in Colwick in the early 90's (Don't know if they are still going) Thinking about it , our Morrisons has one (When the tills are getting full the girls bag some cash up and whoosh it's gone.

The one I remember that had such was on the corner of gregory boulevard and radford rd, this was in the late 1950's, shop is now an asian supermarket, I believe it used to be called Staddons? or was it Beeches? I've mentioned the following before but as "in that area" anyone remember the newsagent on the next corner going up radford rd towards bentick rd? He was in the habit of carrying and flashing a large wad around the local pubs, one night he vanished and was never seen again, rumour had it he finished up in foundations of hyson green flats then being built at the time.

Wasnt Staddons originally on the corner of Radford Road and Caulton Street.

I see in Google street view that the building has been knocked down?

Take a look at the area now you will be quite shocked!

Google street view Caulton St

The one I pacifically remember as a sprog was in Tobys situated on Friar lane my parents were posh didn't you know……lmso.

Bip.

There was one in the main branch of the Long Eaton Coop on the corner of Station Street and High Street. Over here they are still very common - almost all the drive-in banks use them. The only difference is both the tube, and the containers are slightly larger in diameter.

As a kid in the 50's, I used to get kitted out at Roughtons on Derby Rd [above Baker and Plumb] and they had the same system of payment.

Kath

"The Shop with the clock", was later a video rental place

I take it you mean the shop on the corner of Caulton street Ash?

I forgot the clock, Yes it was a typical small department store of the 50's / 60's.

I remember the Video Rental, I would travel from Carlton to rent Video 2000 tapes.

What that shop was originally I dont Know?

Now replaced with an ugly brick block, Flats?

I thought so,

Staddons mentioned earlier must have move down to Gregory blvd Junction.

The pics brings back memories.

Looking at the cars what year?

The overpayment collection booth at the Castle Boulevard DHSS also had one of these systems, until it became prone to staff abuse. It was immediately dismantled and removed after a most regrettable incident when the Assistant Chief False Claims Inspector had a fearful accident with it whilst drunk and trying to show off at the 1977 Xmas office party and unwittingly dispatched one of his testicles to the Ilkeston Coop for cross-referencing by Securicor. Another of his colleagues lost his tongue in it the same evening, but he doesn't like to talk about it.

Hathers xx

S-T-A-D-D-O-N-S on the face instead of numbers perhaps?

Rings a bell?

Well, not exactly, Mick - it always only went kinda 'tink-tink' whenever I passed it. Unless I was REALLY late home, then it went'tink-tink-tink-tink-tink-tink-tink-tink-tink-tink-tink-tink'.

Incidently, and now being serious - are you are aware of some massive UFO sighting in Sawley/Draycott during the early or mid 80's? A mate of mine saw the thing and said it was as big as Wembley Stadium - cant be sure on specific years though

H

They still use them at Tesco at Marsh Farm Braintree where I'm just about to go to see if they have some of their delicious herrings, and they use them at Sainsburies in Braintree, both relatively new stores and I was astonished to see them still using those vacuum systems, which they do everytime the tills get over full, I visually trace where the pipes go when I'm waiting at the tills, I'd love to hold a carrier bag under the exit pipe, wherever it is, somewhere behind the meat counters.

Didn't they have them at Burtons under the Council House and I seem to remember it being a feature of shoe shops in the city for some reason.

Ashley, sorry I am a bit behind having just joined.

I remember that incident with the shop owner dissapearing and never being found. I drove past there yesterday with a work colleague and I was telling him about it. I had to wake him up afterwards mind you.

I have also recently purchased a bed from the current Staddons. Grandson and Great Grandson still own and run it. Very obliging people too.

Just to keep on thread, Woolies on Lister Gate also had the cash pipe system.

• 1 year later...