Raleigh Social Club

Hi, im looking for any information about raleigh social club , i.e , where it was located, any images ect, im not sure if it was on old coach road , wollaton , there was a buliding connected with raleigh down there i think not sure, can anyone shed any more light on this matter , thanks, kev

Raleigh Social Club was on Farraday road, more or less opposite the bottom of Salisbury Street, under the canteen, next to Gate 5 (The Lamp Gate)

Raleigh Sports Club was on Old Coach Road in Wollaton.

Hi. If you get my books. 'Images of England - Radford' and 'Nottingham Through Time', both of them have Raleigh Social Club and Athletic Club location information in them. You can order from Amazon.

Best wishes

Chris Richards

• 10 years later...

Hi Duane Finch  welcome to Nottstalgia 

i don't have any cine footage of Raleigh social club but i have two photos  of the sports day one is a crowd watching "punch & judy "( at the time i was about 3 and i was on my dads shoulders, the other photo which might be more interesting to you is of Raleigh football team. Sorry can't put them on our site but i'm not very good trying to send photos. If you would like to see them get in touch by or site. 

I’m pretty sure that I have some footage of a Raleigh sports day. Not mine but from a commercially shot film. I’m not sure where I got it from. I’ll hunt it out tomorrow. There were regular dances held in the ballroom which was situated on the top floor of head office building on Lenton Boulevard, the one still there. I was at Raleigh 1970-73 and the ballroom was still there and occasionally used. Beautiful wooden floor I recall.

It appears to be Old Coach Road, off Wollaton Road before the Wheelhouse pub on the right.

Old coach road used to run all the way between Glaisdale  and Wollaton Road, it was an unadopted road.

And I'm sure you used to be able to drive over the railway bridge half way down.

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm011948/posterid/ntgm011948.html

Raleigh Social Club & canteen by day was on Faraday Road as described exactly by Beef in post 3.

Raleigh Sports Clubhouse & fields was on Old Coach Road which cuts from Wollaton Road to Glaisdale Drive & its still there, not the the clubhouse, Old Coach Road, it cuts across Lambourne Drive.

In the clip the ballroom is Raleigh Ballroom on Lenton Boulevard now the Marcus Garvey Centre.   

Hi all,

I'm a Newbie to the group.

Very unlikely, but does anyone remember a Mr George Brown, who worked in the wheelshop at Raleigh in the late 50's, most of the 60s. He lived on Willoughby Street, Lenton. He's my late grandfather and |I'm trying to find more out about him.

Thanks.. :)