Sven to take over at Notts County

Thinking about it, if this is true, it could be the best thing thats happened to the club since Jimmy Sirrel, seriously.

Isn't Becks wanting to get back into the English game, I gather he got booed off the pitch at LA last night, it could be the end there for him, yeah, who's going to pay his extortionate wages over here, not County, but Sven could be persuasive towards his rich old friend, does Becks need the money, no way, imagine him moving in as player manager, it could lift his profile, the worlds oldest club rescued by Beckham, doing a Masson and ripping the lower divisions apart with his astute passing. Wishfull thinking perhaps, but surely Posh would love the Nottingham club scene, she might even fancy a caravan at Ingoldmells.

Lets see how this pans out, it could be interesting.

I'm only partially taking the p1$$ over this, who knows what might happen, Beckham crossing to Les Bradd superbly positioned in the box, hmmmm.

Bit slow there Firbeck , this thread was started by Stan at dinner time......LOL

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5955&pid=73740&st=0entry73740

Bit slow there Firbeck , this thread was started by Stan at dinner time......LOL

Sorry mate, no insult meant, got into a tangle with phone calls and enquiries, had a manic day which is continueing today.

The media are making a big thing about this, I tried to watch Svens press conference on the 1:00 news but got a phone call and missed it.

I've just had another phone call from an architect friend in the Newark area who reckons that Glenn Hoddle is involved in this deal. So, Sven is taking County to the toppermost of the poppermost as Lennon said of the Beatles, how much are we supposed to read into this, what do you think as the sites big County fan Beefsteak. Whatever any of us think of Sven and his dubious talents, he has a high profile, it can't be a bad thing for the club, whether it has that 'Jimmy Sirrel almost instant results' affect is another matter, Sven could be on the next boat to China when he inevitably gets involved with shagging some local dignataries wife.

Lets see what happens.

I'd like to think his high profile could attract some big talents to the team, but as a manager I think he's had his day. He couldn't do anything at Man City with all their millions, so why they think he can do better here with a lot less funding beggars belief.

Also the 2 million a year that they are paying him could go a long way towards paying for a good player or two!!

Now prove me wrong Sven ........PLEASE

If you've not seen the press conference:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/notts_county/8163091.stm

Rather an embarrasing quote from Ian McParland 'I would never have dreamt of someone of Svens standing coming to Notts County'. Poor old Jimmy Sirrel must be spinning in his grave.

So Svens not doing it for the money then, £2m a year is obviously pocket money to him. I agree with everything you say Beefsteak, lets see what happens, but at least it's put the club in the spotlight, I wonder what the attendance figures for the first home match will be, I bet it doesn't beat Tony Hateley's homecoming against Bournemouth.

Where's he going to live, I hope it's next door to Bip, could give our friend a bit of competition at the local club.

Well I think Charlie was talking of today's "standing"? that said Jimmy never managed a national side and wasn't that famous when he joined Notts, now had you said Tommy Lawton who was an international when he joined a then bottom league team that's a different matter? IF Notts ever do make it to the Premiership they'll be the only team to have played in all the divisions

Where's he going to live, I hope it's next door to Bip, could give our friend a bit of competition at the local club.

Firbeck you made me laugh....

I've just had a phone call from Ulrika, hot off the press, this is next weeks team for the friendly against Brazil.

scan0027-2.jpg

Personally I'd prefer Les in for Big Tone, but Sven knows best.

Incidentally, just heard on the radio about this beach in Slab Square, whats all that about then, Svens been making excuses about the weather, is it supposed to make him feel better.

• 2 months later...

I wonder what the attendance figures for the first home match will be

I'll be curious what the attendance will be on Sunday there was a few girls giving tickets away yesterday outside the university the pile she had was longer than her legs !!

Notts County v Torquay live on Sky this Sunday (anyone know when Notts was last on telly ?)

Wierd, I just replied and it all crashed, the Reds must be at work!!

Sky Sports 1 at 5:00, no doubt father in law will ring me shortly to invite me over.

I recall Notts being in a promotion play off final at Wembley in the early 90's that was televised live, I had tickets for the 'Fleidth' at Finsbury Park on the same day and couldn't go or watch it on TV, could that be the last time, or did the BBC show them a few years ago on one of those early FA Cup rounds, I have a vague memory of it being a big muddy scramble at some small West London minor league ground, would that be right.

yes, can't recall the team they played Havant or something like that? didn't see it but son said Notts were awful! bit late with this reply re your team, firbeck but might have had a job with charlie crickmore, he died years ago!

Wow Déjà vu in action !!!

My lads just come back from his paper round (i posted on Franks post this morning) with a hand full of Notts clownty complimentary tickets stamped university he'd been given (see above) my other post was about the Nottingham beer festival , my mates just phoned to ask if i want to go this afternoon (whats the chances there standing outside there giving tickets away ?)

Wonder when Torquay was last on the box ?

I'm going to run a bath and surround myself with candles and garlic.

3997761686_ab5c7a8096_b.jpg

The Mighty pies were on telly live about a year ago playing Brentford , mid week 1-1 draw.

I'm a bit peed off as I can't even get to the pub to watch it as I'm a bit busy tomorrow!!

The b@st@rds, they were clearly looking for an excuse to get another crony in, whether it be Sven or not.

I watched the entire match on Sky yesterday, first half they were bloody good, second half they seemed knackered and unable to cope with Torquays man to man marking, as well as the fact that I gathered that two of their best defenders were missing for one reason or another.

Same old story, in comes the money and new players and the manager is supposed to produce instant results, even Jimmy Sirrell couldn't manage that.

I watched the match with 'usually higher things' father in law who, like me, thoroughly enjoyed the match, I wonder if McParland would have been sacked if that last 5 minute goal attempt had not rebounded off the post, who knows, I'll go and ring Hungarian Joe now and see what he says!!!

• 6 years later...

Liking this Mark Cooper fellow just caught his post match Interview after the 3-1 defeat he's clearly not happy or impressed with his players told them "You have got two managers sacked you aren't getting rid of me!" ,,,,,, Crikey!