Author Stanley Middleton dies...

Taught me English at High Pavement, more than 50 years ago...

Wonderful man, highly regarded by all those who encountered him.

"Nottingham's Booker Prize winning author, Stanley Middleton, has died at the age of 89.

Middleton's writing career spanned six decades and more than 40 novels, including the 1974 Booker-winning Holiday.

Middleton, who was born in Bulwell and lived in Nottingham all his life, taught English at High Pavement School and worked for the Sunday Times as a reporter"

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/homenews/Author-Stanley-Middleton-dies/article-1202409-detail/article.html

Cheers

Robt P.

• 1 year later...

As I've only just discovered this site, and therefore this thread, I give a link below to a blog post I made at the time of my memories of Stan Middo, in which I reproduce - in full - a letter he sent me several years ago. As I said, a lovely man:

http://tonyshaw3.blogspot.com/2009/07/stanley-middleton-1919-2009-dies.html

I didn't know he'd passed, he also taught me at High Pavement in the late sixties, I can only echo the sentiments already expressed. RIP Stan a true gent.

• 6 months later...

I was also taught by Stanley Middleton in the 1950's, it caused a great stir at school when his first book was published. He used to live on Broomhill Road in Bulwell and Mr Slater lived almost opposite, they often walked to and from school togeather, I don't know what they talked about as one was science and the other english.

Stan also played the organ at Bulwell Wesley Church near the market place, he was a good musician. He also taught RK as it was then known, Religious Knowledge.

A good man.

Brian.

I was also taught by Stanley Middleton in the 1950's, it caused a great stir at school when his first book was published. He used to live on Broomhill Road in Bulwell and Mr Slater lived almost opposite, they often walked to and from school togeather, I don't know what they talked about as one was science and the other english.

Stan also played the organ at Bulwell Wesley Church near the market place, he was a good musician. He also taught RK as it was then known, Religious Knowledge.

A good man.

Brian.

Amazing that twenty years later I was taught by the same two men... Slater - we called him Doug - was my house master.

By that time RK was taught by a Mr Hamer.