Hi New Member after a bit of help on old pubs please

Ay up,

As the title says I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if you might be able to help me please. I have lived in Nottingham all my life (41 years) and over the years I have frequented several pubs which have disseapered. I was therefore wondering if anyone knows of a website or publication that lists and has some history and pics on the many "wonderful" places that have vanished from our city.

Places like the QE, the Warro, the dog and bear, the Victoria (in Vic Centre), the foundtain (I think) near Broad Marsh, the dog and ? (near the NHS walk in centre - now been pulled down) the corner pin, the flying horse, the bench and bar, the black boy hotel (No I can't remember this one!) etc etc etc.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Cheers me dears xxx

Ah yes. Names that bring back memories of a mis-spent youth! I think the pub near the NHS centre was the Dog& Partridge, a former Homes Ales watering hole.

I don't know of any books or websites specifically on lost pubs but this link is worth a look:

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/news/Nottingham-pubs-Past-present/article-783564-detail/article.html

especially the "related links" section.

No doubt other members can add to this.

Have a read of the 'Pubs Closing Down' thread on here. You'll find it in the 'Owt abaut Nowt' section

Cheers Annesley ... funnily enough I had just found that article while I was doing a bit of a search. I feel there is a niche in the market for a "lost pubs of Nottingham" book (any budding writers / historians / alcholics on here! LOL).

The Dog and Patridge ... that's the one ... yes it was a Home Ales house ... sort of down a funny little side street (that has also gone!).

Why is it always after these places have gone that you wish you had taken more pics ... hindsight is a wonderful thing!

I used to be a bar maid at the Tavern in The Town ... the worlds grottiest pub ... but as soon as it had a "refurb" it lost all it's character (and sticky carpet) :(

On second thoughts it was the Dog & Pheasant! Grr! The Dog & Partridge is on Parliament Street near what is now Boots. Getting my game birds mixed up! In fact, I believe there were two Dog & Partridges pretty much opposite each other at one time. A "new" and an "old". (or was that just too much local ale!?)

I used to be a bar maid at the Tavern in The Town ... the worlds grottiest pub ... but as soon as it had a "refurb" it lost all it's character (and sticky carpet) :(

Welcome Fussy.

There were nowt wrong with the Tavern in the Town, we used to go there in the early 70's, a bit before your time really, but I bet it was the same carpet and decor still in place when you were working there. Can't remember the beer exactly, only that it wasn't very pleasant, possibly M&B or 'Muck and Bosh' as my brother politely referred to it. I recall that the Guiness was reasonable, in the scheme of things, best pint of Guiness by a mile was at my ex-father in laws pub in Slaithwaite, followed by the Buttery Bar at the University, the Tavern, miles down in quality, but in third place.

I was never a fuit machine addict, but three of us used to go in the Tavern after lectures at Trent Poly, it didn't take long for us to work out the mathematical possibilities of winning on this thing in the corner there, there was something wrong with it, we could garuantee winning enough money out of it to pay for the beers for the evening, until the landlord sussed it out and replaced it.

Did you know that the Tavern was the last British pub where Bing Crosby had a pint before he died, I hope it was nothing to do with the beer, 'Hollywood Superstar poisoned by M&B' The Sun missed out on that one.

I have got to get me a copy of that book too.

Fussy did you work for Colin when you were there?? I was on the door (occationally) over the road at the Stage Door, around that time.

I know Rob & who where the two brothers & there old man who ran the place ?

I believe it was the only place that opened @ half 10 on a Saturday morning ?

I know a girl you worked with Fussy unless it's you ?

Not that gay barman !

I know Rob & who where the two brothers & there old man who ran the place ?

I believe it was the only place that opened @ half 10 on a Saturday morning ?

I know a girl you worked with Fussy unless it's you ?

Not that gay barman !

LOL everyone knows Rob - I was chatting to him the other week. Are the two brothers you are thinking of Michael and Richard & Dad Mick Meehan? So who do you know that worked with me ... and who was the gay barman?

Fussy (aka Sam ;) )

Is that the Mick Meehan that owns/runs the pub on Maid Marion Way?

I was working at the Tavern in the late 80's early 90's

Sorry Sam i should have paid more attention to your post I'm talking early 80s when the pubs still shut in the afternoon , its not Mick i know him and his brother who runs the Pelican , the landlord in the early 80s had two Sons one used to stand the door think his name was Grant.

Sorry Sam i should have paid more attention to your post I'm talking early 80s when the pubs still shut in the afternoon , its not Mick i know him and his brother who runs the Pelican , the landlord in the early 80s had two Sons one used to stand the door think his name was Grant.

Ahh that was before my time ... I was at the TBI then! LOL

Hello, how about the Imperial on St James Street? I used to work in the Garden Bar at the back, where all the old bands played - Cisco, Gaffa. The owner of the pub was someone called Cody who used to drink in the front bar and get stewed and fall off his bar stool

• 3 weeks later...

On second thoughts it was the Dog & Pheasant! Grr! The Dog & Partridge is on Parliament Street near what is now Boots. Getting my game birds mixed up! In fact, I believe there were two Dog & Partridges pretty much opposite each other at one time. A "new" and an "old". (or was that just too much local ale!?)

I think you mean the Stag and Pheasant that was just before London Road island. The Dog and Partridge was opposite the Original Dog and Partridge.

rollocks,,,, I was so pleased to see the facade of the Flyin' 'orse was still intact on my recent visit.

I took a couple of phone piccy's, that I was about to put on here,,,,, but they seem to be hiding rather too well in my phone, cos I can't find 'em !

Am not sure just when it finished, but it was still goin' strong in '76, when I was up there with a mate. We used it most nights even then.

My drinking years in the City were from about 62, till I moved away in 1970. Some great great memories from those years,,,, helped along by this friendly & informative forum.

Come on guys & gals - don't be shy,,,,, take a bow, one and all.

I delivered all the outside metal work (The surround for the statue etc ) to the Flying horse arcade circa 1988