Would that be this one then:-

granby.jpg

So is the current pub not on the same site with bits of the old building still remaining:-

mgranby.jpg

Sounds like a good pub with some good beers, it must be 35 years since I've been in there.

Looking at it again and comparing the photos, especially the first one, with Littlebro's original, it doesn't look like the same building at all.

Those plaques are intrigueing Poohbear, what could they be? I've been trying to make out the landlords name Edward C????? Walker, the place looks to be at the bottom of a hill, isn't Granby pretty flat, looking at the vehicles, possibly immediately post WW1, which may explain the lack of people around, most of the males were still being dug out of the mud near the Somme at that time. Perhaps thats what those plaques were all about, memorials to locals who never came back for a pint.

Licensed Victualler so a managed rather than tennanted pub. How unusual was that for a rural boozer in the 1920s?

And as an aside. Whatever became of Nottingham Licensed Victuallers Association? Their spokesman was always being quoted in the Post over some matter or another, but I've not seen a mention of that organisation for years.

Licensed Victualler so a managed rather than tennanted pub. How unusual was that for a rural boozer in the 1920s?

And as an aside. Whatever became of Nottingham Licensed Victuallers Association? Their spokesman was always being quoted in the Post over some matter or another, but I've not seen a mention of that organisation for years.

My brother used to be their accountant, when he comes back from holiday, I'll ask him.

I posted a reply to Bambers question, any one delete it ????

Not me.

Not the Marquis of Granby, way too far out of town.

Date is probably 1930ish.

There is a pub sign hanging in the tree, not much help though. The pub name is painted on the wall but I have masked it out.

See the truck, where have you seen that before?

charlton or the carpenters at dale abbey?

Ok Hippo Girl, I cannot think of any more clues so I will give it you, Charlton Arms, Chilwell.

The reason I have the image in the family vault is the truck, not the pub, the Model TT belonged to the family, see my avatar.

The junction is School Lane & High Road Chilwell. I think every building has now been replaced and the road is of course much wider.

I do not know what the plaques are, one may be an insurance shield.

ChilwellHighRoad.jpg

Ms H. Girl:

Both Dale Abbey & Sandiacre are in Derbyshire...

"Never trust a woman with a map...Anon"

Blatantly, it is the Crossroads Motel, Staunton-in-the-Vale,09/10/1929...

Cheers

Robt P.