• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about the idea of using Jans place?

We spoke earlier. but as the idea to piggy back at the Fed club had already been put into action, it just wasnt mentioned, Ill call him tomorrow to see what he says.

Ta for sorting that in my absence T!

Jan, just a thought, cos obviously we want to keep costs to a minimum, what about using your place???????? Tell us if you think if its a non goer!

Sorry Craig no goer,only holds about 120,no dance area.per chat on phone inquired about Mapperley Social Club.its got two rooms. the main room seats around 300 and 300 standing. Wooden floor throughout and in the other room.Will find out how much they charge for main room and the cost for the annexe

take care isitsafe

KEEPING ON KEEPING ON

Thanks Jan, in all honesty, I cant see us getting enough people together to be able to cover the room charge. Im basing that on the very few replies the topic has generated.

If, for instance there were at least 100 replies from here and Facebook, all pledging/sending a fiver or whatever, then maybe it might work, I still reckon that despite it not being fully "ours" ,doing it at The Federation Club is more likely the way to ensure it happens.

Re the Mapperley Social, I think a 600 capacity room might be a bit big for us......

Thoughts anyone else?

i think 50 is a more realistic number, so a small venue would be ideal......those who were true dungeon goers wouldn't object to sharing the costs for a nostalgic night!!...............

OK, As asked for before, can we get a show of hands for numbers then please?

If we could get a small room in a licenced venue, plus the cost of the disco kit, I reckon if 50 bought tickets, the projected cost per person would be less than a tenner each. Is everyone ok with that, or is it too high, bearing in mind that doesnt include any drink?

A bit higher than my original thoughts of a fiver, but, as Chrissie suggests, true Dungeon dwellers would pay out a bit more for exclusivity.

Mind you, can we even get 50 people together for it?

Just spoke to The Festival at Trowell, Im sure everyone knows that place, what about there?

In the past, lots of people have pledged to attend one of the many Nottstalgia 'Meets' in the Poacher, however, only a few of us have bothered to turn up.

My thoughts...........if you want to make sure it's a good night, invite lots of 'none Nottstalia' people....... and then charge a nominal fee on the door.

P.S. Make sure the venue serves decent ale!!!!!! and I might be interested. (I'm not a Dungeon person as I was married and bringing up a young person during my early years)

In the past, lots of people have pledged to attend one of the many Nottstalgia 'Meets' in the Poacher, however, only a few of us have bothered to turn up.

My thoughts...........if you want to make sure it's a good night, invite lots of 'none Nottstalia' people....... and then charge a nominal fee on the door.

P.S. Make sure the venue serves decent ale!!!!!! and I might be interested. (I'm not a Dungeon person as I was married and bringing up a young person during my early years)

Good points Frank.

Terry has mentioned getting The Vale at Colwick at a decent price, but we still need a guaranteed number of folk to make sure we dont lose out financially, so in all honesty, and look at the amoumt (lack of!) replies there have been, I think the plan of doing it at The Federation Club is a better idea.

If everyone who went to The Dungeon went there, they could decide for themself if a totally stand alone reunioun would be possible.

i agree with frank...could make it a nottstalgia event with dungeonesque music!....there are always some people who can't make the date decided but want to come, so with that in mind a nottstalgia night out may work out......the vale at colwick is a medium size venue, maybe something smaller to accommodate people turning up on their own !!!! over to you guys ?

Hi Chrissie, I think you might have misread Franks points.

He was saying that despite a lot of Nottstalgia members being up for " meet ups" a lot of the folk that said they would be there, weren't. (correct me if I'm wrong Frank!)

I think an exclusive Dungeon reunion would not work without a lot of work and advance planning, just take a look at the total amount of Nottstalgia folk who have said they would be there, I believe I could count them on one hand, two at most. The Facebook group thing has bought 3 people forward, one of which is a Nottstalgia guy!

I dont think anyone would want to throw in (at least!) £20 admission, just to be able to have an exclusive to Dungeon people only get together, and then be sitting there with 7 or 8 people!

Dont get me wrong Id love it to work, but, as it is, I would need the folk who have said they would be there to send me at least the sum mentioned (£20) to even start the ball rolling.

I really do think anyone interested should use the Fed club doo as a starting point, and then see the total amount of people there who would actually come to a Dungeon dwellers only doo.

When my old fellow had the Variety if anyone wanted to book a wedding/birthday etc and say it was for 100 people , he would tell them they would have to invite 160 to get anywhere near 100 - 200 people you would need to invite 320 - even if you book Frank Sinatra & Shirley Bassey as your main attraction - he was very really wrong ?

When my old fellow had the Variety if anyone wanted to book a wedding/birthday etc and say it was for 100 people , he would tell them they would have to invite 160 to get anywhere near 100 - 200 people you would need to invite 320 - even if you book Frank Sinatra & Shirley Bassey as your main attraction - he was very really wrong ?

funny i dont remember frank sinatra or shirley bassey at the variety.....and the only sold 320 tickets ??....mind u ive seen better turns lol

also the vale at colwick has 2 funtion rooms..main room 250 conservetary 120,...i work there twice a month so i can recomened it highly...cheap beer too

Think I would prefer HG's idea of exculsive Dungeon reunion..am I right in thinking the proposed Long Eaton one would be on the August Bank Holiday Saturday Craig?

pete c....still riding a vespa

Pete, NO!!!! You are mixing two events up here!

The proposed one for Sat Aug 29, bank holiday weekend, is at The Federation Club, just off Sherwood Rise, its another Soul and Motown fundraiser for the Nottm Hoods basketball team. They had sold over 190 of the 250 available tickets, so I spoke to one of the organisors, who also thought it a good idea to combine the two, their fundraiser, and our Dungeon reunion.

Where you are confusing the 2 is the fact that originally, I was doing a one off Saturday in Long Eaton, that was being billed as a Dungeon reunion night at where I do the regular monthly soul night, at The Westgate Suites but it got cancelled.

That one was due to happen in November I recall.

So, you up for it then? cos if you are , can you spread the word amongst some former Dungeon boys and girls?

PS, I would also prefer an exclusive event, but lets face it, we arent getting anywhere near enough hands being raised for it to work

Yes think I am a bit confused Craig..so what date is it taking place?...I might be wrong but maybe the reason there is not much response is because its not being advertised in the right place..how about contacting the Evening Post's Byegones section and also use local radio..John Holmes on R.Nottingham would give it a mention as he used to be a mod and worked with Alan Fletcher on the Mod Crop..plus Im sure you could pull some strings at the other stations.

pete c....still riding a vespa

29th of this month, at The Federation Club, off Sherwood Rise.

Its a gig thats already taking place, so its not going to be too important if only a few Dungeon People turn up, as it would be if it was a stand alone thing.

Good idea about who to contact, prob there is that we've been talking about this on here for quite some time, and wating for response re mentions on air would mean even further delays.

Dunno about you but I cant wait for it to happen!

PS, went to my mums for a sift through her attic to see if I could find my "doctored" Dungeon membership card, but shes tidied the damn thing up, and I couldnt find it!

One or two people have said that the reunion thing is getting a bit confusing, lets try and make it clearer for you then.

A separate stand alone reunion does not seem to be on the cards at the moment, there would not be enough people attending to make it work, financially or otherwise. But read on shortly.

The "amalgamated" reunion, which is basically just anyone who went to The Dungeon, attending an already planned function, tales place on Saturday 29th of August, at The Federation Club, Claremont Rd, Sherwood Rise. Tickets are selling fast, so call Linda on the number printed earlier in this thread.

Now, back to the "separate" stand alone reunion plan, a member here on Nottstalgia, and a "Bung" regular, has a birthday coming up in a few months time, and has suggested he would like to combine his party, with a Dungeon Reunion.

It is far enough away for more people to sort out if theyre coming, and Im awaiting a call from him before anything further is said.

So...unofficial get together Sat 29th of this month @The Federation Club, Claremont Road then, Id suggest you come to this one first, and see how good they can be!

Another successful fundraiser for The Nottingham Hoods, thanks for your support if you were there!

Terry from Boogieshooze informed me that a lot of people had come as they had seen it advertised as a Northern doo, I checked on Soul Source forum, and there is no mention of Northern on there, and nothing on Goldsoul, the only 2 forums where the event has been mentioned, I dont know where that came from? However, Terry played quite a bit to keep them happy!

As for my bit, I was amused/bemused? again, as having played almost nothing else apart from Motown, there was the usual, "When are you going to play Motown?" That being asked as I was playing The 4 Tops!!!

I had guestimated to the lady questioning that, that in all, around 93% was Motown, and Terry confirmed this to her when he said 90% without any prompting.

Heres a question for you if you like your Motown, and lets face it, you wouldnt be in this section if you didnt, would you?

Heres a list of some tracks that I played during the night just guess what label they are on.............

Its the same old song

Where did our love go

Aint too proud to beg

This old heart of mine

Shake me wake me

Baby love

I cant help myself (sugar pie honey bunch)

Tears of a clown

Heaven must have sent you

I guess Ill always love you

Do I love you

Going to a go go

Jimmy Mack

Dancing in the street

If you said Atlantic, or any other label apart from Motown you must nip along to Specsavers first thing Monday! !rotfl!

Another example........."Why arent you playing Motown?", as Martha and the Vandellas were playing......."What Motown would you like me to play?" I enquired. "What about Jackie Wilson Higher and Higher", came the reply, It didnt seem to matter to her that he wasnt on Motown.................. I give in!

PS, Phil, are you sure you went to The Dungeon? :rolleyes:

PPS, AFAIA, no one from here was at the doo.......

hi Craig, as per chat on phone. I've hired the Polish Eagle club on Sherwood rise for my 60th Birthday.ON SATURDAY 30TH JANUARY 2010.GOT THE VENUE SO WE CAN RUN THE DUNGEON REUNION HAS WELL.the invitation is open for all you Ex dungeon people to come.Five months notice should be enough for most persons ,that includes you Mick2me.

KEEP ON KEEPING ON

Wow you old git Jan, 60 hey lol. Going to a few 60ths at that venue in the next few months, must be the "in" age, starting 2 weeks on Saturday. Might have to pop into yours if in the country at that time seeing as ex Bung, ex townie, ex brit and ex pal of yours!!