This morning Mary mentioned that her ex mother-in-law always drank cheap port with 7-Up (port and lemon to us Brits). I had to laugh - I always thought that was the "upper class tart's" drink! Does anybody order them any more - and what other common drinks have fallen from favor - Babycham for example?

Brandy and Babycham was a regular tarts drink, BITTER AND LIME,, EH MICK!!??? that's another you don't hear of any more. One I used to indulge in occationally was Pernod and Blackcurrant, until I got razzed on it in about 1980!!

And yes Rog , although it was brown and bitter we drank, (Only because the hand pull used to deliver a good 3/4 pint per pull and there was more than a half in a bottle of Shipstones Nut Brown, vis a vis a good 1 1/2 pints for about 2p more than a standard pint !!!!

Reminds me of a true story...

In a very noisey Yates, I sent a friend to the bar.

What do you want?

"A pint of mann's brown..."

"WHAT"

"A PINT OF MANN'S BROWN"

He returned with a pint of bitter?

"Whats this?"

"It's Tetleys"

"Why did you get me Tetleys?"

"The Barman says they dont sell Lansdown Bitter!"

Was in London in 1992 and after seeing a show, we went in the Sherlock Holmes pub nearby. I asked for a port and lemon and got just that, a glass of port with a piece of lemon floating on top.

Just thought of a drink we all drank at the bowling alley bar in the mid 60's. Barley wine. Came in a beer bottle but tasted nothing like beer. One of those would give you quite a buzz, it was a strong drink. My mum would drink ginger wine when she had a stomach upset, is this still going? While we're on the subject of drink, we used to make our own ginger beer in our newlywed days. It was good stuff, very fizzy. One batch was extra fizzy and one bottle blew the top off which hit the kitchen ceiling. The pop sprayed everywhere and as much as I washed that kitchen floor, we were still sticking to it for ages afterwards. I made some more ginger beer here a couple of years ago, but the high altitude effected the fizz, and it wasn't like making it at sea level.

When I worked behind the bar at the bowling alley, Batman was a popular show on the telly. The bowlers would nip in for a Batman Special, in between bowling. It was orange squash made up with lemonade.

Same with Cuba libre - easier to say 'rum & coke'.

There is a Cuban restaurant in Downtown Detroit - we visited with friends a few months back. In order to get into the "spirit" of the occasion, Mary ordered a "Cuba Libre". The waitress went away, only to return a few moments later to ask "what's a Cuba Libre?"

Limey , your tale reminds me of when I was at our works Christmas 'Do' and asked to see the "Somelier" to be greeted with a blank look from the waitress. "You know S-o-m-e-l-i-e-r. " I replied slowly, again blank looks.

"The Wine Waitress" I tied again, "Oh you mean the landlady??"

I gave up and ordered a pint !!

bighug Nottingham Laggers (insulation engineers) used to drink Brown & Mild..............for some reason it was the 'drink of choice' in the sixties/seventies. preferred pubs were Dog & Partridge x 2 (opposite each other) on Parliament street!!!!!!!!!!!

bighug Nottingham Laggers (insulation engineers) used to drink Brown & Mild..............for some reason it was the 'drink of choice' in the sixties/seventies. preferred pubs were Dog & Partridge x 2 (opposite each other) on Parliament street!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Paulus

Do you know the 'Ryans' from the lagging game?

Oh yes!! Pete, Joe etc.................. cool2

I'm married to one of the sisters!

Are you telling us that Mrs Frank is a lagger? :)

Just thought of a drink we all drank at the bowling alley bar in the mid 60's. Barley wine. Came in a beer bottle but tasted nothing like beer. One of those would give you quite a buzz, it was a strong drink.

Yes, I remember that stuff, it was usually called Gold Label and was about 12%, it had a taste all of it's own, rather sweet and sickly.

When I was at college we used to drink 'Little Bricky', which was a barley wine made by the local brewery, Brickwoods, the Portsmouth sailors favourite tipple until Whitbread got their hands on the place and shut it down.

There was a road between Southsea and Portsmouth called Albert Road, which at the time had more pubs on it than any other street in the country. The big challenge between the Navy and the students was to have a drink in every pub along the road without falling over, no-one ever did it, we thought that having a bottle of Little Bricky in each pub might help, all it did was make your vomit taste even worse than normal.

littlebrickie.jpg