Having spent his entire life being a criminal and a waster, been involved in an horrendous crime that resulted in the death of an innocent engine driver, having spent 40 years living a life of celebrity in Brazil, then coming back to the UK to get free NHS treatment and the hope of an automatic pardon, we are now supposed to feel sympathetic towards this awful man Biggs.

Yesterday was the funeral of Harry Patch, the last survivor of the terrible trench warfare of WW1, a true hero, so what do the Government do, announce the release of the despicable Biggs on the same day and take the shine off the news bulletins about a truly honourable man.

Lets hope Biggs doesn't last long so we can be rid of this evil man forever, to have to see this mans name mentioned in the same news programme as the great Harry Patch doesn't bear thinking about.

RIP Harry, a lovely, humble man.

Rot in hell Biggs, you deserve it, you arrogant scumbag.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look out for that Libyan joining him in cross continent wheelchair races, courtesy of the British Government. Perhaps you people would like to know, that despite working in full employment for the pa

For all Ronnie Biggs train robbing and life of crime he must regret not being a banker he could have stolen billions and got away with it. Hero or villain? R.I.P.

The train Jack Mills, never recovered from being hit on the head with an iron bar! Who remembers him?

The daft thing is Biggs was very small potatoes when it came to the robbery...He was only brought in on it because he knew a train driver who could shunt the engine.When it came down to it the driver couldn't do the job so poor Mills (mail train driver) was forced to shift the engine himself.

Biggs was a nobody but his notoriety in the media outshone the other gang members.

The difference is that Biggs admits he was a thieving low life...MPs still expect to be called 'honourable'......hypocrites.

The p i s s takes of 'Yes Minister' and Little Britain' should give them a clue what we think of them...but it doesn't bother them..they think they have a right to their positions...

Look at Haine..Vaz..Mandleson...all caught out cheating,lying and thieving, but still there living very well thank you off our taxes...

Bring back the Guillotine.

I'm not politically minded...couldn't give a toss..but the only two I think are, or were, honest are Vince Cable and Cyril Smith.

Biggs was a nobody but his notoriety in the media outshone the other gang members.

Not quite, lets not forget the 'loveable, cheeky, Cockney rogue' Buster Edwards, subject of a film starring Phil Collins, where we were made to feel sorry for him, as Jim Royle would say, 'My Arse'.

How ironic, tomorrow is the 46th anniversary of the robbery, is that just a coincidence or what, though to be fair to Biggs, whatever I might think of him, he probably doesn't know whether he is actually still alive.

I was always under the impression that Biggs was sentenced to 30 years, whereas Bruce Reynolds, despite being the alleged brains of the gang, and the one thought to have possibly hit Jack Mills, was only put away for 10.

Who knows, I've read various books on the subject and there seem to be shadowy figures lurking in the background that have never been caught, that none of the gang are prepared to talk about, if indeed they even know who they are, probably the worst kind as you say, politicians, that may be why it's been covered up and scapegoats have been found.

Incidentally, can any of you actually recall the event and where you were at the time. I was 12 and on holiday at Teignmouth with my folks. We were staying in what was refered to then as a boarding house, run by the lovely Mr and Mrs Rice, they were very advanced in their thinking and had a big telly in our dining/family room, we used to all get together in there and I recall the adults sitting watching the news and clucking and complaining about the events, while I was thinking about the non existant difficulties of driving a Class 40, having just had a hands on lesson in taking a Peak from Midland Station to the carriage sidings, but thats another story.

In the end, it's probably a timed event to cover up for the Test Match debacle that I'm currently listening to.

Bruce Reynolds made a documentary some years back where the subject of Mob backing for the robbery was raised...he denied this, but I remember at the end of the film he offered to show where the heads of organised crime could be found in this country.He pointed to the financial sector in the City of London. Headquarters of all the British banking institutions.

He could be right...

All of those who conspired to commit that crime were responsible

for the death of that man. Had he not been murdered it would

have been a crime that would have been revered, even by the

police for its planning and execution. They would have been folk heros.

Their own stupidity, in leaving much evidence at their hide out,

lead to their arrest.

Biggs spent many year a free man and should have ended his days behind bars.

flyswat

They reckon Biggs can hardly talk.............but I bet he can still laugh!! at our expense, yet again!!

This government just don't understand the feelings of ordinary folk,(or just don't care!) Biggs has beaten the system yet again, just like the scrotes who do it day after day after day etc..........

I often wonder who planned that job, where did they get their information that the train was to carry used banks notes? Had to be someone high up in public service. Nobody aboard the train, BR employees knew anything about the money being on board. I saw a movie of that robbery a couple of years or so back based on the evidence. Got to agree with Mick, they were pretty lax on not leaving finger prints or other evidence. They certainly weren't top class criminals. I wonder if that's why they were chosen for the job??

In the latter days of British Rail the thrice-weekly Clarence Yard-Hartlepool bullion train was categorized as... "only to be stopped at signals in emergency"

And yet, the Class 31 hauled train - comprising just a single container on a freightliner flat and a converted MkII composite carrying some unarmed (!) BTP staff - appeared prominently in the Working Timetable as being booked to wait (for overtaking purposes) at Stoke Summit, Claypole Loops and Ranskill Loops.

So much for BR security!

Cheers

Robt P.

I've read that there was a spate of thefts from luggage carriages previous to the main robbery, probably to raise finances to fund it.

It stated that at the time high value bags that contained registered mail and the like were clearly marked, so that staff (and thieves) would give them special treatment.Sounds about right for British Rail security.

I don't care what anybody says, no one deserves to die in prison for theft!!! , murder , rape , torture etc yes , but just plain theft , no.

And why are we complaining about BR security 46 years after the event ???

Biggs should have stayed and served his sentence,

He would then have been released to enjoy his old age, having paid the price.

Biggs was complicit in a crime that resulted in an innocent man being unable

to reach that age. Also lets not forget the loss by the victims family and friends.

As I said before, had the murder not taken place, they would all now be folk heros.

And why are we complaining about BR security 46 years after the event ???

Who's complaining?...I'm just stating what I have read in the past...I couldn't care less personally,it didn't affect me.I thought the idea of a forum was to exchange ideas and information, if you don't like my comments I couldn't care less about that either.

Methinks the boy doth protest too much, paranoia is sneaking in there pooh bear, I was talking about Rob !!! but , if the cap fits!!

Also as the death of the poor driver happened over 1 year and 1 day after the assault took place it can not be called murder, you your self should know that Mick!!

...I was talking about Rob !!! but , if the cap fits!!

Really!

My info' dates from less than 20 years ago...and merely elaborates on the previously raised side-issue of railway security; touching on Nottstalgia x 2, along the way.

Arguably more pertinent than flooding the forum with piccies of various planes...ad nauseam.

Reckon less folks than you think share your rather weird, and ever-growing, obsession with aircraft.

Cheers

Robt P.

Methinks the boy doth protest too much.

The 'boy' was paying tax when you were deciding on which nipple to suck on...I came on this forum some time back hoping to explore other peoples memories with regard to Nottingham past and present...unfortunately most posts are nothing to do with the city, but I've still tried to join in the chatter...like you do.

I think in future I will contribute to posts which are to do with Nottingham and leave the rest to Facebook and Twitter.

Same could be said for Trains!!!

By the way I only post a couple and put in a link to the rest, if you could be bothered to look!!!

Put the Handbags away:

The reading of any area of these forums is not compulsary!

I dont read the postings about aircraft as I find them totally boooring!

I have limited interest in Railway postings, and read them because they are

often related to local areas.

People who post about these subjects also post about Notts.

Yes sorry one and all , I was posting whilst my mind was on other things , I shall reveal all in the not too distant future.

Oh dear, I wish I'd never started the thread now, I didn't think it would get a that nasty.

I understand that this is in fact a Nottingham memorabilia forum, but there should always be room for topical discussion, sometimes there's hardly any Nottstalgia content running on here, I recall those music title quizes that were running a few months ago, at one point I believe that there were 3 running at once, they had nothing to do with memories of Nottingham, but they were popular, so, why not.

Many threads start, then vanish without a conclusion, Ashley's recent photo Quiz, and the Pub pictures for instance, that looked like old Nottingham memories to me.

It would be a shame if some people don't contribute because topics are not strictly about 'Old Nottingham', but then thats your choice.

Incidentally, to try and make the Biggs thread local, I believe that when a film was made of the event a few years ago, it was all filmed on the GCR at Loughborough at a bridge near Swithland Reservoir, using a disguised Class 40 and their collection of mail carriages. The only remaining piece of original rolling stock from the robbery, one of the mail coaches involved, was preserved completely by accident and is now kept at the Nene Valley Railway near Peterborough.

Bahhh, trains again.

All of those who conspired to commit that crime were responsible

for the death of that man. Had he not been murdered it would

have been a crime that would have been revered, even by the

police for its planning and execution. They would have been folk heros.

Their own stupidity, in leaving much evidence at their hide out,

lead to their arrest.

Biggs spent many year a free man and should have ended his days behind bars.

In the interest of accuracy, if nothing else, we should note that Jack Mills died seven years after the robbery, of leukemia.