Perseids Meteor Shower

Tonight and tomorrow night ( mainly ), we should be able to see the Perseids Meteor shower, assuming the sky is clear.

From previous experience, it's usually at it's peak just after midnight and originates from the North Eastern section of the sky in the direction of the constellation Perseus.

Even if you have no particular interest in 'astral events' I can assure you that it can be quite impressive to watch.

2 years ago we were holidaying in a farm cottage in Exmoor and the display was quite stunning, the kids had a big roof light in their room and were just lying in bed watching it, constantly oohing and arring as these things were flashing across the sky.

Even if you live in the city with light pollution, they should be visible.

Can you set your camera up with the shutter open Beefsteak, I don't know how it works with a digi, if conditions are right, I may try it with my film camera as luckily, the direction of Perseus is right over our adjacent nature reserve, so despite being more or less in the town, there will be very little light pollution.

Well, that was a non event. I stayed up till midnight then had another look at about 1:30, I reckon I saw fewer meteorites than normal, but the bright moon didn't help, then later it turned cloudy and I gather it's going to rain all day and tonight when the meteor shower is supposed to be at it's peak. I notice Google are making a thing of it on their web page, they must be on the other side of the world.

It's still over cast and the forecast is no better for later.

(It's the same every year for me for some reason !!)

The annual Perseid meteor shower reaches its peak this evening and could fill the night sky with hundreds of streaks of light.

The phenomenon occurs when the Earth passes through a stream debris from the comet Swift-Tuttle.

Forecasters say rain and cloud could obscure the spectacle for people in southern areas. The best views will be in the Midlands, the north of England and the northwest of Scotland

I wish the forecasters would come up here to this North West, and show me a gap in the clouds!!!

Just nipped out for a crafty stogie and caught a little glimmer between the clouds, so strike one here (But only a tiddler , going out in a bit with a glass of Merlot to see if it's cleared up any)

After raining all day it was lovely and clear here all evening till it got dark, then it clouded over and rained again, kept looking until 12:30 then gave up and went to bed. Woke up at 3:30, still overcast, just got up and it's clear again, sods law.

Went out a bit later and it was still overcast, and had to do a rethink on the meteor I saw, as I saw another this time too, turned out to be a plane coming out of Manchester , so the first one was probably the same.!!!

• 3 years later...

I shall be up at that bedroom window in the early hours,looking skywards for The Perseids Meteor Shower, I love a good shooting star show, watch it be one of the rare nights that i go to sleep,just when i don't want to. Happy Star Gazing all.

Had a wander out last night and saw one, tonight I had a look for about 10 minutes and didn't see any, I went out again (in my stocking feet) about 10 minutes ago and got my feet wet through as it had decided to pour down in the intervening hour or so !!

Did I ever tell you our Charlotte arrived on a 'Shooting Star' ?

It's her birthday today (13th) I was outside the maternity unit grabbing a crafty cigar, when this massive shooting star shot across the heavens, I took it as an omen, went back in side and twenty minutes later this six and a half pound bundle of absolute joy landed in my hands !!

(Got a tear in my eye now)

Happy 10th birthday Charlotte.

PS

It was a Beautiful clear night here in W-ton, I was up at the window at 12.30am...2am....3.30am and then at 6am (tode ya ah dint sleep dint ah) and i saw all the usual star formations at their best, (sorry i know the names, but don't know which is which) Anyway i stared at the sky until i wuz bozz eyed and even hallucinating about shooting stars,Eventually I got on my own nerves imagining i saw one. So i made a cup of tea and got on Nottstalga. Some lucky people according to the news had a really good view, NOT ME. Lol

Happy Birthday Charlotte. hellothere

(Good choice of name by the way, my eldest is called Charlotte)

Didn't know the Perseids were due last night, and it was a lovely clear night here in Moffat!! Though my youngest saw a good show in Newark.

Charlottes says to say thankyou

I had three more separate 'goes' of 10 minutes and didn't see any more !!