Nottingham Technical School for Textile Trades

Hi Everyone,

The problem at my age is that there is too much to do and now with a couple of great grandchildren added, the time to sit and write is limited.

My introduction to the school was walking down the yard in my new uniform only to be soaked from the cloakroom above. How the memories stick and that cap, it stayed with you forever, gradually shrinking to the back of ones head only. It was used for everything including games. I do recall one winter when I had not been at the school long and the older children had built a huge slide in the lower playground. I joined the line, ran onto the slide and part way down fell or was pushed by older boys. My head hit the ground and soon my left eye brow had swollen over my eye. I was rushed to the Eye Infirmary in town and went home that night with my cap perched on a bandaged head with only one good eye.

Cheers for now.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Everyone, The problem at my age is that there is too much to do and now with a couple of great grandchildren added, the time to sit and write is limited. My introduction to the school was

I attended that Textile School on Bath Street in Nottingham from1958-61 when it closed down.........Miss Noris was the headmistress and there was Mr Kerry, Mr Deardan, Mr Rogers, Mr Rippon, Mr Bamber.

Looking for something else, and stumbled on this forum. Not thought about the place for many, many years. I was pupil at the school from 1957 -61, and left with 3 'O' levels (not the most auspicious

How memories come flooding back !  Music with Mrs Jackson ( Lorna ) whose husband took PE at my former school Claremont.

The school annual speech day concert based on Gilbert & Sullivan music. A little ditty we sang in music to the tune “ I wish I was in Dixie”

continued with the line “ flicking peas at lorna,s bottom look away look away”.  Terrible boys.  The long flight of stairs up to the staff room.

The outside loos brings the nowday saying of chill out more meaningful The trudge down to the Mission Hall for PT.

Also remember the experiment of some of the teachers going to see if the Locarno lunch time Rook and Roll sessions were suitable for us students. They deamed it NOT.    See what effect “dat  rock and roll music” had on us all! 

Can anybody remember Achie Wyatt and his teddy boy/ Tony Curtis haircut? 

Well that’s about it for the moment — Have a very good Christmas 

Paul

Paul, I suppose if the teachers had decided that the Locarno WAS a suitable place for the students, then they (the students)  wouldn't have gone!

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I went to this school until 1960/611, when it closed and pupils were sent to a school in Clifton. The Headmistress was a formidable little lady Miss EA Norris JP

I left to train as a draughtswoman at Plessey

I was there 1958-61 when it closed down...… I think Miss Wenn was lovelly and very modern, you could talk to her about all your puberty problems......I think she hated boys because she was an unmarried mother as they were known as then...….

On 3/31/2020 at 3:10 PM, Mr D said:

Hi, I’m trying to find out what the school song was for Nottingham Technical School for Textiles? My mum and dad both went between 1955 and 1959. It’s important if anyone can remember. 

I went there 1958/61 when it closed down, was very unhappy there, I was Lynn Housley from Hucknall.....I have the school song, thanks to Sonia Dimmock who found it for me...……..'Beside her wheel, the patient spinner lingers - Holds in her hands the shuttle and the weft - works to a pattern of her own contriving, with movements quick and deft'......Hope this is what you want...….

On 10/22/2018 at 7:56 PM, davidh2308 said:

I was there from 1955 to 1959. I was a skinny 4 eyed geek and yes my name is David Harrison

You was there before me, but I can remember a David Harrison...…..

• 4 weeks later...

In my class were the following , Jean Plowright.  Valerie Benson , Celia Smith , Colin Bexon , Peter Savage , Michael Bellamy , Tony Slater , Rodney Barker , .....Toole , Eddie Cockeral , we called him Elvis , Joan Clark , sorry I can't remember more.

I knitted my own school scarf , as did every one else , my blazer badge was of knitting needles and something else ? .

I even knitted a pair of socks using the Griswold machine.

Doesn't anyone remember me , I was the class urchin .

On 11/22/2014 at 10:07 PM, Blondie said:

I attended that Textile School on Bath Street in Nottingham from1958-61 when it closed down.........Miss Noris was the headmistress and there was Mr Kerry, Mr Deardan, Mr Rogers, Mr Rippon, Mr Bamber.........Miss Bostock, Miss Wenn, Miss Maud (yuk), Mrs Tillinghurst, Miss Winfield, Mrs Turner and the music teacher Mrs Jackson............I hated every minute of that place, it was a waste of three years of my life.......What a con........I was clever at the Junior School, but failed my 11 plus, nobody could understand why - I attended the Seniors for a year then took an exam to be sent to a Technical School, this was where I was sent, what a dump............ I felt that I had been cheated, I gained nothing and wanted to be sent back to my old school, but was not allowed........That old bag Miss Maud made my life a misery as I was miner's daughter and she hated as she called them 'filthy colliers'- No matter how hard I worked I was always given low marks, although we had all the latest encyclopeadia's at home...........Fortunately, I attended Night School afterwards and pulled myself up and became a top Legal Secretary........The mere thought of that place gives me the shivers................So if anyone wants to know what that place was like.......this in my opinion is it............

Oh dear , I'm so sorry you had a terrible experience , because my birthday is the first of August , I happened to be the smallest youngest in the class , even the girls were taller than me , and worldly wiser , but some of them were beautiful .

Anyway , I went on to be employed , at 'The Lace Research association ' Glaisdale drive , there to be an expert in the manufacture of Leiver's lace , which did me no good whatsoever , apart from prestige . I later had 'Samuel Pepys , Hardy's wine bar , and The old Malt Cross .

Ventured from Newark to Malta in a boat ( not mine ) then to the Gran Canaria in another boat , flew to here in Mallorca , and that's it .

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2018 at 7:55 PM, Paul Dilley said:

How memories come flooding back !  Music with Mrs Jackson ( Lorna ) whose husband took PE at my former school Claremont.

The school annual speech day concert based on Gilbert & Sullivan music. A little ditty we sang in music to the tune “ I wish I was in Dixie”

continued with the line “ flicking peas at lorna,s bottom look away look away”.  Terrible boys.  The long flight of stairs up to the staff room.

The outside loos brings the nowday saying of chill out more meaningful The trudge down to the Mission Hall for PT.

Also remember the experiment of some of the teachers going to see if the Locarno lunch time Rook and Roll sessions were suitable for us students. They deamed it NOT.    See what effect “dat  rock and roll music” had on us all! 

Can anybody remember Achie Wyatt and his teddy boy/ Tony Curtis haircut? 

Well that’s about it for the moment — Have a very good Christmas 

Paul

I was in love with Lorna..but thats another story. The mention of the Mission Hall brought back more memories. It was an overflow storage space for FFyfes Bananas. On a quiet moment you could hear the sound of imported Arachnyds from the Carribean. It was compasses to the ready opened to form spears and into the dark areas to impale the large spiders, which was then taken to school to frighten some poor young lady

On 5/2/2020 at 3:46 PM, Leslie William purdy said:

In my class were the following , Jean Plowright.  Valerie Benson , Celia Smith , Colin Bexon , Peter Savage , Michael Bellamy , Tony Slater , Rodney Barker , .....Toole , Eddie Cockeral , we called him Elvis , Joan Clark , sorry I can't remember more.

I knitted my own school scarf , as did every one else , my blazer badge was of knitting needles and something else ? .

I even knitted a pair of socks using the Griswold machine.

Doesn't anyone remember me , I was the class urchin .

I was in your year, my name is David Harrison. Jean Plowright died in her 30s with Cancer

• 2 weeks later...

A lady named Sandra Walton has posted a couple of photos of students at the Textile School from the 1950s in a Facebook Group.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=673670456787194&set=gm.1025603311188525&type=3&theater&ifg=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=673665853454321&set=gm.1025598744522315&type=3&theater&ifg=1

• 2 months later...

Ey up Leslie..........just wondered,, did you know Frankie Smith at Tech ?   we were mates at Padstow school on Bestwood estate,,,real good lad,,not seen him for about 40 years,,,he was playing in goal for Meridian and i was in the other team,,,i believe Blonde (on here) who you knew) was his girlfriend for a while.............

On 8/7/2020 at 6:57 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Ey up Leslie..........just wondered,, did you know Frankie Smith at Tech ?   we were mates at Padstow school on Bestwood estate,,,real good lad,,not seen him for about 40 years,,,he was playing in goal for Meridian and i was in the other team,,,i believe Blonde (on here) who you knew) was his girlfriend for a while.............

Ey up Benjamin , who the f... are you ?yes I worked at Meridian in the CA department , and when miss lovely Irene Thornelly from Foisted Clay and Ward  , took over , I stopped being on monthly , changed departments , left , and above all said to myself , sod textiles , of course the most interesting things , were the ladies , I've never got over the fairer sex , well I did in another way , anyway , enough for now .

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Leslie William purdy said:

Ey up Benjamin , who the f... are you ?yes I worked at Meridian in the CA department , and when miss lovely Irene Thornelly from Foisted Clay and Ward  , took over , I stopped being on monthly , changed departments , left , and above all said to myself , sod textiles , of course the most interesting things , were the ladies , I've never got over the fairer sex , well I did in another way , anyway , enough for now .

If I saw this post without knowing who'd posted it, I'd would've sworn it had come from Ben. 

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
On 5/19/2020 at 10:58 PM, davidh2308 said:

I was in your year, my name is David Harrison. Jean Plowright died in her 30s with Cancer

Jean Plowright married a lecturer from Arnold and Carlton college named Arthur Cronk who taught me after I left school 

I was in the year after her at Bath Street