Record A Level Passes

Yep - I thought you needed at least a Bachelor's degree to work behind the bar in a pub - and a PhD for a good pub!

Yep - I thought you needed at least a Bachelor's degree to work behind the bar in a pub - and a PhD for a good pub!

Its obviously OK for you and Ashley to knock people with ability who at least try to improve themselves?

Now I get it - no sense of humor either!

Well you seem happy Fynger, thats whats important.

My youth has a degree and works behind the bar at the old Bodega, he loves it, just been offered the job of supervisor, he's tried to get a 'Proper Job', but if the tossers within the proffesional industry only want to give jobs to their pals, the Etonian brown nosers, it's their loss.

I did my A Levels exactly 40 years ago, it was hard going, I managed to achieve my targets, but in comparison, it seems to be a lot easier these days, I don't recall my son doing any revision, but achieved good grades, sufficient to get him into Nottingham Uni, I couldn't understand that at the time.

Yes, the system appears to produce good bar staff, but thats not the point is it, in the end, it's all a load of manipulated crap in order to make everyone feel better and tell the nation what a clever bunch of people we truly are, whats the point, what happens to all these kids.

I can remember much further back than that.In my year only 2 students out of the whole year received `A" in their A levels,I think in 2 subjects with the 3rd being at a lesser grade.They both went on to become full professors,one at Edinburgh,the other in London and Japan.One had a state scholarship and a `Demi' to Oxford .To obtain 3 A levels one had to be quite exceptional. Maybe 10 out of the origional 120 who commenced after the 11+ obtained reasonable grades and went on to university.These results were from the brightest students in Nottingham.

i.e they went on to get `proper' jobs,which in those days were abundant in Nottingham.

We now have a situation where A levels have about as much value as Rhodesian currency.

What value therefore are these meaningless results?

Greenwood Dale School, in Sneinton, beat the national average for the fourth year running, 99.1% of students achieving A to E grades, the school's best ever A-level results. Trinity School, in Aspley also achieved its best results, with 99.3% of grades between A and E.

What is the point of an exam that is impossible to fail?

If you need a good laugh, try reading through these real children's science exam answers....

Q: Name the four seasons.

A: Salt, pepper, mustard and vinegar.

Q: Explain one of the processes by which water can be made safe to drink

A: Flirtation makes water safe to drink because it removes large pollutants like grit, sand, dead sheep and canoeists..

Q: How is dew formed?

A: The sun shines down on the leaves and makes them perspire.

Q: How can you delay milk turning sour?(Brilliant, love this!)

A: Keep it in the cow.

Q: What causes the tides in the oceans?

A: The tides are a fight between the Earth and the Moon. All water tends to flow towards the moon, because there is no water on the moon, and nature hates a vacuum. I forget where the sun joins in this fight.

Q: What are steroids?

A: Things for keeping carpets still on the stairs.

Q: What happens to your body as you age?

A: When you get old, so do your bowels and you get intercontinental

Q: What happens to a boy when he reaches puberty?

A: He says good-bye to his boyhood and looks forward to his adultery. (The kid gets an A+ for this answer!)

Q: Name a major disease associated with cigarettes.

A: Premature death.

Q: How are the main parts of the body categorized? (e.g., abdomen)

A: The body is consisted into three parts -- the brainium, the borax and the abdominal cavity. The brainium contains the brain; the borax contains the heart and lungs, and the abdominal cavity contains the five bowels A, E, I, O, and U.

Q: What is the fibula?

A: A small lie.

Q: What does 'varicose' mean? (I love this one).

A: Nearby.

Q: Give the meaning of the term 'Caesarian Section.'

A: The Caesarian Section is a district in Rome.

Q: What does the word 'benign' mean?'

A: Benign is what you will be after you be eight.

Forgive me, I think I've asked this question before Stan, but didn't you go to Mundella Grammar and perhaps knew my brother, and, God Forbid, even David Pleat.

Incidentally, I gather that Pleat has thankfully been sacked by ITV from their football commentary team, it's taken them a long time to work that one out, perhaps he was caught importuning outside the studios, I wouldn't be surprised.

Sorry, I digress. With regard to 'A' Levels, I wonder if this situation still exists. I won't mention any names, but when I was at BGS we had a very talented sportsman. I was told that Oxbridge were keen to have him purely on the basis of his considerable abilities at a particular sport. He was a likeable bloke and obviously not an idiot, otherwise he wouldn't have managed to cope with the difficult scholastic life at BGS. This is only what I have been told, but when he didn't get the required 'A' grades first time round, the system allowed him to stay on for another year in the hope that he could reach the required standard without entry to Oxbridge looking to be a fix.

I gather it didn't happen second time round either, I often wonder what affect that had on his subsequent sporting career, which promised so much, but in the end, didn't really happen.

If you know who I'm talking about, please keep it to yourselves, but on the other hand, if I've been told a load of cr@p, I'd like to know about it, especially from the horses mouth.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep; record passes for the 21st year on the trot and yet we're still the thickest nation in europe. This is what happens when schoolteachers try desperately to keep Ofsted smiling for the sake of their own arses. What a load of dummed down crap. One of my wife's pupils got 20 'gcse's - half with 'stars' and she still can't spell 'Bermondsey'. How many people did you meet with TEN O levels back in the seventies? Let's see what happens next year when they have to include maths and English again.