Bowstring Bridge in Leicester under serious threat.

A bit off topic. I know we're a Notts forum, but I figured I'd post this here as I know lots are GCR fans.

Seems that the Leicester council are 90% through the preliminary stages of planning to bulldoze the GCR bridge on Braunstone Gate Here's a vid about it

Might be good to join the facebook group to show your support

;-)

Rich

I note that the smiley pictures of the preservation group were 99.9% white, what a surprise, it wasn't a Mosque was it, that may have been a different story, the earth would have been made to move................

Beautiful that it is, and perfect it may be for spanning the gap at Loughborough, the chances of moving this bridge are really impractible, I'm not an expert on torching steel and reassembling and welding it back together, but it doesn't seem possible. Otherwise it's a reminder of our Victorian Imperialistic Past and we can't have that in Leicester can we.

I am not sure where the ethnic mix of supporters comes in to it?

Do we have ethnic train spotters, aircraft buffs or bird spotters?

Regarding the bridge, why is it any different from any of the bridges knocked down

in Nottingham?

The bridge goes from nowhere to nowhere. It is the largest, man-made, pigeons’ toilet!

If trains still ran the line it would have been replaced long ago.

If they want to keep the bridge they should at least clean & maintain it - but what would that cost? It is recorded to need £2.5m just to preserve it.

It may be a "nice-to-have" but the city leaders have to consider value-for-money.

They could grant Loughborough half that cash and get it relocated! The increased value of the land it stands on should fund this.

The bridge goes from nowhere to nowhere. It is the largest, man-made, pigeons’ toilet!

It goes from nowhere to nowhere because of the Leicester council. It was part of the GCR bike and foot path that allowed people to com into the centre from the south without going near a road. But the path was diverted in the over 10 years ago because of another redevelopment.

Regarding the bridge, why is it any different from any of the bridges knocked down

in Nottingham?

It's no different. I think a lot of the GCR structure in Nottm should have been saved too.

e.g. The bridge over midland station, bridge over trent at wilford. Both would have been of great value to the new tram system.

Also The Bulwell viaduct. Mainly because I thought it was beautiful! :-)

It goes from nowhere to nowhere because of the Leicester council. It was part of the GCR bike and foot path that allowed people to com into the centre from the south without going near a road. But the path was diverted in the over 10 years ago because of another redevelopment.

So its agreed that it goes from nowhere to nowhere.

It's not disputed that it is a man-made pidgeons toilet.

The city council will have to carry out engineering inspections annually and insure themselves for public liability.

It is not being maintained and not likly to unless someone fork out a heap of cash.

It weighs 400 tonnes, thats worth £120,000. By removing it, the insurance liability will end, no more maintenance costs. Land use freed up. Land values multiplied.

The only reasons to keep the bridge are:

visual - well, to me it is an eyesore;

use - well we have established it goes nowhere so it does not have a function

lastly the campainers seem to have an inbred dislike for the De Montfort University who wish to develop the land.

On balance, take it down & offer it to Loughborough foc, scrap it or get the campainers to pay for its upkeep. It is a monumental folly and a drain on city funds.

• 6 months later...

It's gone - now somebody apparently wants to put a plaque up.

I'm a bit torn over it really - sorry to see yet another bit of the GC go (plus a pub) but I can see that it was a complete no-no for preservation. There's no way that it could have been used at Loughborough - wouldn't fit the site apart from anything else. On the other hand just look what Derby University has done with the old works offices and roundhouse - it's fab.

Funnily enough my son was going on about how awful the demolition was and how it should have been saved but I said I could just hear the almighty moans from Leicester council tax payers if it had!