I bought my copy of the Radio Times just now and was impressed with the cover and the fact that BBC Radio 2 was doing a big thing about them this weekend.

I gather that 40 years ago, 20th August 1969, while making 'I want you ( she's so heavy)' it was the last time that they all recorded together.

To me, they were the essential part of my teenage years, they had so much influence, what do you lot think.

Spent the mid sixties working for a toy wholesaler merchandising Fine Fare and others with a load of crap Hong Kong toys.Plastic Beatles wigs,plastic Beatles guitars,jigsaw puzzles,posters, and the rest.Biggest load of imported junk...wish I had a garage full now.

I remember in a cellar under the warehouse there was a stack of Davy Crocket hats and Andy Pandy glove puppets...wonder if he ever shifted them?

BRILLIANT just BRILLIANT. not manufactured rubbish like whats around today, all their own stuff (or most of it) in their own style

Rog

I seem to remember you were either a "Beatles" fan, or a "Rolling Stones" fan - but rarely both. It was the Beatles for me, and I am still amazed at how their music is still "fresh" to this day. However, I did lose a bet with a buddy about who would last the longest - the Stones or the Beatles!

I was never much of a soul or Motown fan, but now that I live there, I can see how much the music was influenced by the population - and how much effect it had on the city too! Then came the riots, and it all went downhill from there - but that's another story!

Like both the Beatles and the Stones; the Stones did some really classy albums back then - thinking of let It Bleed, Beggars Banquet and Satanic Majesties.

The Beatles remasters are due for release soon, who's going to spend a fortune getting them?

Like both the Beatles and the Stones; the Stones did some really classy albums back then - thinking of let It Bleed, Beggars Banquet and Satanic Majesties.

Satanic Majesties, no way, it was a scrambled together reply to Sgt Pepper and not really very good. You've forgotten Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street, my particular favourites.

I managed to see the Stones 3 times, but never saw the Beatles, the length of the qeue outside the Odeon to see them was beyond belief, I gave up. I've not even seen post group individuals, always failed to get tickets for any of their concerts.

I did once get to meet Jane Asher when she was engaged to Paul in the early 60's, when she opened the Carnival at Teignmouth in 1964, does that count.

Ashley

The 'Fab Four' started taking amphetamines when they played in Hamburg at the start of their career, so I suppose you mean right from the start then.

Yes Beatles fan, John Lennon was once asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world? He replied he's not even the best drummer in the Beatles. Classic.

Yeah, one of Johns litle subtle snipes at Paul, you must read 'Revolution in the Head', fantastic book, you get to realise how much Pauls instrumental imput was on so many tracks, he must have been considered a pain in the arse to the others, it shows in the film 'Let it Be', please can you swallow your pride chaps and re-release it.

Personally I wasn’t interested in either the Beetles or Stones I was more into the Beach boys and the surfing and hot rod scene at the time, those two groups [beatles and Stones] never figured in my personal ratings.

My mate and I who I worked with at the time sang songs of the Beach Boys and many to of Jan and Dean the original sound makers of that era at work, I still remember the words of many of their songs to this day off by heart.

Before I’m pulled up I know the Beach Boys never surfed or drag raced they were taking advantage of the American youth culture at that time basically they were giving what the American youth of the day wanted…

It wasn’t until later when the Beetle albums started to find their way onto shinny mirrored plastic [cd’s] that I bought my first Album that I think I still have somewhere, never to this day purchased a Stones record or Album nor wish too.

Bip.

Dennis Wilson drowned in 1983 attempting to surf, I was also very much into them in the early 60's as well Bip.

When Brian was attempting to out do Lennon and MaCartney, ( Pet Sounds was one of their fave albums ) and had got very much on his way to producing what was going to be known as the 'Heroes and Villains' album, Paul gave him a pre release copy of Sgt Pepper and said,'Beat that'. He may well have thought he was able to do that given the right circumstances, but instead, destroyed all the master tapes and spent the next 30 odd drug induced years feeling sorry for himself.

You're right Lynmee, though at the time it was going to be called Heroes and Villains. I realise that Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks have since tried to recover what was left out of Brians head, but Wilsons re-emergence, rather like that of Pete Green, is as a shambling drug destroyed character, it's very sad.

I recall being on holiday in Jersey in 1966, the tax laws at the time made things much cheaper, including albums. Not having much cash, I could only afford to buy one album and opted for Pet Sounds rather than Revolver, which must have been too much for me to take in at the time, I regretted my decision when I got home and did a swap with a pal.

Don't worry, I've got it on CD now.

The Beatles were great yeah....but ( and yes i know they were 'manufactured' ) but i prefered the Monkees as they were 'Stupid Idiots' and just seemed to ooze 'fun'.

Music written for them by Neil Diamond just about sums the The Monkees up.

The Monkees were a "thrown together" group of young actors and singers. Not one of them could play an instrument at the beginning. They did their best to learn though when the media started attacking them for their "air guitaring" and pretendy drumming and miming to their records. Didn't Dennis Wilson die as a result of being totally drunk, diving off a boat in a harbour and drowning?? I recall his body was never found. He was disillusioned with the whole scene. Great band the Beachboys, pity their old man was sooooo bossy and "knew it all" He held them back for a long time until they rebelled and produced what they wanted.Brian still does gigs around America, he still has the sound too, he has a great backing group too. I gather that he was a manic depressive, and that was why he did drugs big time.

It was a funny time when the Monkees appeared on the scene circa 1967. The girls all loved them but we all hated them, though secretly, we did think that the Monkee Show was quite amusing, based entirely on Hard Days Night, it was aired on Saturday evening TV after the footie results, courtesy of the BBC, something to rush back home to watch after seeing Forest win again.

For those of you who have the Beatles Anthology DVD, you can see Mike Nesmith sitting around in the wierd and wonderful footage of the Day in the Life sessions.

Look at this:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tpkxK254fc&feature=PlayList&p=EE9B4CC2C3E26815&playnext=18

A lovely song and early video by Mike Nesmith.

Incidentally, can anyone recall Mickey Dolenz as a kid in 'Circus Boy', I'm sure that it was another one of those post footie results BBC saturday night programmes, I loved it at the time.

You tube doesn't want to track that song, plug in Rio and you'll be OK, just make sure it's the 1977 video.

It's interesting, I'm currently typing up a planning report and Chris Evans is playing Beatles stuff on the radio.

I'm actually finding all a bit emotional listening to this, it brings back so many memories of the 60's, every song seems to relate to something or other from the past, great to hear it on DAB as well, currently Revolution, not the contraversial version either, were this lot good or what, who has ever come close since.

Doesn't or didn't Mickey Dolenz live in Mansfield or there abouts? the whole 60's thing was great but led by the Beatles of course

Rog

I think Micky Dolenz did live at Mansfield, I'm not sure if he still does. My brother mentioned he saw Davy Jones on the QE2 a few years back so he's still performing as is Mike Nesmith. Actually saw Mike Nesmith quite a few years ago at the Trent Poly gig, some of my friends were in the support band, he was a bit of a miserable so and so.