I happened to be driving back from Nottingham on Monday afternoon which coincided entirely with the special Beatles programme on Radio 2 introduced by Craig Charles. It was fantastic, lots of album tracks not very often heard on the radio. I have to say that a lot of it brought back memories and I got a bit tearful sometimes.

Look out for whats happening on BBC2 on Saturday night. There are several special programmes that us old boys shouldn't miss. One of them is a compilation of sometime unseen footage of the recordings of Beatles albums starting from Please Please Me, looks great. One unmissable programme is the documentary about the Beatles first tour of the States, I've seen some of this on the Anthology DVD, but I don't think that it's ever been seen in it's entirety before, it's not to be missed, it will give you memories of your childhood.

Sorry, I thought I had everything recorded by the Beatles on DVD or CD, yes I am just a little bit of a fan, I can't wait for this.

• 6 years later...

soul, motown, pop, all paled into insignificance

mg

Pop, I agree and the Beatles were pop incarnate, but I did like 'em. To me the Beatles were for listening to in the house but the rest of it depended if you were a clubber or not. I was and soul and MoTown were a big part of my life and the lace markets life too.

• Upvote 1

I was never a Beatles fan but I did like George Harrison. In my opinion, Lennon and McCartney kept him down - possibly because he was better than them.

• Upvote 1

RE The Stones, I still to this day suspect that Brian Jones was 'eliminated '. He had more talent on one finger than the front two will ever have.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

That McCartney Carpool is brilliant , especially the "impromptu" pub concert at the end .

Imagine sitting there in that dozy pub and then Macca suddenly appears with his band .  Some of the punters nearly jumped out their skin when the opening chord blasted out ! 

Strange that the girl told to press the Juke box didn't seem to make anything of being served by James Corden though .

All the oldies viewing the first few bars seemed to have vanished by the end. 

• Upvote 1

My buddy Tony Coburn, who does the McCartney bit in the Cavern Club Beatles, sent me pictures of this the day it happened.  He seems to have got 'word' that 'somebody famous' was going to appear in Liverpool and managed to be at both the statue, and then a mile or more away at the Philharmonic Pub.  Terrific coincidence as I told him.. ;)  He's played with Paul previously  anyway.  Water off a Duck's Back to him....  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 8:54 AM, radfordred said:

I know a youth thats got every Beatles release 45s 33s LPs EPs picture sleeves gatefolds, there is only one tune he's not got ........... I think he needs help! 

Which one Red?

• Like 2
20 hours ago, IAN123. said:

One thing about The Beatles..my goodness they were inventive!

Playing Magical Mystery Tour at the moment. Blue Jay Way is stunning..have you any laserdiscs nnsc?

No I don't, I never got the laserdisc bug. Of course I have the EP, LP (mono, Stereo) and DVD of MMT. Blue Jay Way i must admit, although inventive is not one of my most played and there is a big difference in the mixes between mono and stereo.

Been a Beatles fan all my life, ever since hearing ‘Love Me Do’ on Radio Luxembourg in October 1962. I have all original LP’s and massive collection of books including signed copies of all Paul McCartneys-I met him at every one!

As time goes on it’s hard to relate how massive their influence was on the music and culture of the world, just to witness the attendance of all ages at a McCartney concert is amazing, still performing at 76 despite criticism of his croaky voice.

On the sleevenotes of 1964 ‘Beatles For Sale’ LP it said: the kids of AD 2000 will draw from the music much the same sense of well being and warmth as we do today’ 

I predict the kids of AD2118 will still be!

• Like 4

Very little mention on news media, but Geoff Emerick, who was the recording engineer working alongside Gearge Martin on much of the Beatles stuff, died ( Weds I think) aged 72.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...