The Locomotive 'Nottingham Forest"

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clearly we have been posting at cross purposes... Your reference - and that of John's - relate to the Midland freight yards and loco shed running parallel with Castle Boulevard. My misinterpretation

Yes, getting the bus at 10.30. Trent End today! Plenty of atmosphere.

Posted Images

The Nottingham Forest's loco name- plate has been sold at auction for a world record price of £43,000.

One of only two locomotive nameplates bearing the name of the club, it went under the hammer at a sale of railway memorabilia in Worcestershire.

After a brisk round of bidding, it was finally sold to an anonymous telephone buyer.

Simon Turner, of Gloucestershire Worcestershire Railwayana Auctions, said it was a record for a football nameplate.

"It was the highest price of the auction on a day when we sold more than a quarter of a million pounds worth of items.

"It was the best sale we have had in 13 years and an exciting moment when the hammer went down on the Forest nameplate. It is always exciting when you get to that amount of money.

"Football nameplates aren't usually the most sought-after but a few people really wanted this one."

When LNER B17 loco 61666 was scrapped in the early 1960s, the two plates bearing the name Nottingham Forest were removed.

One was given to the club and is on display at the City Ground while the other went to a private collection. After the death of the owner, it was sent to the auction house to sell. It was the top-priced item out of more than 500 lots.

• 11 months later...

Just seen post re "Newcastle at Cinderhill" Newcastle Pit was only about a mile from Cinderhill being more of less opposite Basford Road on Nuthall Road, could have come from there? or be so named as much of that area has/had association with Duke of Newcastle (the man not the pub) who I heard (think on Radio Nottingham) was merely misnamed in some dim and distant honours, Should have been Duke of Nottingham, a graphical error, well you know what cockneys are like "Nottingham/Newcastle? Cor Blimy guvnor same thing innit? samwhere up great north road me sparra"

As this thread has been ressurected, you might be interested to know that two new B17's are being constructed. One is to be a static example only and the other will be built to main line standards.

I gather that the cab of one has already been built and delivered to the North Norfolk Railway where they are to be assembled. It will be interesting to see what they will be called, my bets are on Sandringham and Norwich City, I doubt whether Nottingham Forest or even Notts County will be considered, perhaps you should send the nameplate to Sheringham and see what they say.

Should have been Duke of Nottingham, a graphical error, well you know what cockneys are like "Nottingham/Newcastle? Cor Blimy guvnor same thing innit? samwhere up great north road me sparra"

Naah, down here they confuse Nottingham with Northampton, same place, same name, all those nice leather shoes that Robin used to wear, not a clue.

... perhaps you should send the nameplate to Sheringham and see what they say..

Teddy or (Cloughie's brown paper bag) 'Edward' or Norfolk by the sea??

The striker would simply say 'as I just said', 'yer know','at the end of the day' and 'obviously'...

BTW: North Norfolk Railway doesn't need any loco's as they already own a magnificent ex-LNER 'blood and custard' Thompson Gangwayed Brake (E19), complete with realistic woodworm...locomotion superfluous.

Cheers

Robt P.

I gather it's to be numbered 61673 and named 'Plantfitt and Beefsteak United'. A public presentation to show goodwill will be made to Rob on board the Thompson brake, dragged at a specially authorised high speed run along the line, all damage to be paid for by those involved.

Oh, a special beer is to be brewed by Greene King for serving in the Gresley Buffet Car, I hear it's to be called 'Takeover' and that afterwards they will buy up and close down Weybourne sheds, because they serve up Woodfordes on the trains and thats not allowed.

Who remembers Grimsby fish docks from their days at the seaside ?

Hugs Alison

My dad was a Knight of the Roads (long distance lorry driver). As a kid - I'd go all over the place with his as often as I could. Their company carried all sorts of stuff, & frequently went to Grimsby (in convoy usually)

They'd meet the Danish ships & picked up Bacon (sides of, not packets of) Butter (by the barrel - not the packet) & Cheese (by the crate etc) & brought them back to Nottingham to a company (I think) called Richardsons on Parliament street, almost opposite Theater Royal.

Most of the drivers took their kids along,,,, quite often there'd be several kids in one truck for part of the way, then in another truck on the way home etc.

Once there, we were left to our own devices whilst the men sat around waiting to be loaded etc. This usually meant swimming,,,,, which was obviously around the dock entrances etc,,,, so not very salubrious (or safe for that matter !)

Those were the days my friends,,,,,

In my very early days as a lorry driver one of my first regular trips was to Grimsby docks . Mac fisheries, Pinguin, Youngs and Ross's (Great Canteen ) to name but a few of the companies I visited to load my wagon before the trip back via Market Rasin, Lincoln , (through 'curtesy arch' (who remembers that then??)) Newark, and Nott'm . No by passes in those days either !!

• 3 months later...
Never any loco sheds on Wilford Road, nor even a sub-shed.

The engine sheds were at Colwick...

Wilford Road sidings used for wagon storage..you might see an occasional shunter.

Some loco's were stored there briefly prior to scrapping, but very few.

Cheers

Robt P.

No Rob- you are forgetting about Nottingham Shed 16A which was I believe in Wilford and not very far from Mildand Station. It was certainly not too far for a pair of 10year olds to go and bunk the shed on a evening in June 1964 and then catch a unit back to Carlton & Netherfield from Midland....

And talking of fish trains dont forget Nottingham had two and one came down the Midland line and travelled on to Derby at least. Used to arrive about 7.00 and oddly enough you could often find a "crab" on the front. Railfans will know what I am taking about..

I can remember the fish train running through Ruddington, usually on a Thursday afternoon and that was on the GC line from Nottingham Vic

Rog

I think in 1950's a fish train ran every day on GCR through Nottm? didn't half pong! Re my questions about a fish train on Midland route I was wondering which way it went if it did "come down the Midland and travel on to Derby"? assuming it came from likes of Grimsby or Hull?

If this 'special' train came through Carlton and Netherfield at about 7:00 every evening then the only one I can think of is the famous 'Tamworth Mail' from Lincoln St Marks. We used to catch this regularly from Lincoln and it consisted of a variety of rolling stock, always a mail coach with pick up apparatus, parcels vans, wagons and usually only a couple of passenger carrying coaches. The locos pulling this used to vary considerably often a B1 or whatever was available, I can remember it being diesel hauled quite early on. I have a naff picture of it somewhere passing through Draycott double headed by a B1 and a Class 5, I'll see if I can find it. This train used to go on to Derby via the loop line at Spondon so it could face the right way to take the Birmingham line for Tamworth.

The Grimsby fish used to pass through Vic in the evening, yes it did pong quite a bit and used to be hauled quite often by a rare East Anglia based Britannia pacific, I seem to remember this being discussed on here before.

I remember the GCR shed at the bottom of Queens Drive, but it was always empty, sometimes there would be something lurking about shunting at the goods depot, but in my day, locos at Vic came from Annesley or Colwick and were often stabled or turned on the turntables in the station.

Nottingham shed, 16A, could only be unofficially accessed through the cattle bays off Wilford Road, the official entrance was via a small entrance on Middle Furlong Road and you had to pass the shed foremans window to get in, if he was in, you stood no chance of getting near the place.

I have a naff picture of it somewhere passing through Draycott double headed by a B1 and a Class 5
You say?

Naff picture is better than no picture. thats what i say?

I've found a few pictures to go along with this thread.

Firstly, the Tamworth Mail double headed at Draycott on a summers evening in 1963, bad picture I know:-

drayc1.jpg

Then I found this, taken off the footbridge north of Trowell station in January 1962, it's a 'Crab', heading south on the Midland main line with a van train, fish?, probably taken late afternoon when we were waiting for the Thames Clyde Express:-

trow1.jpg

As industrials were mentioned earlier, I haven't a picture of the shunter at Wilford which I think used to serve the power station and was owned by the Electricity Board, but these two were taken at Stanton Ironworks in 1965:-

stant1.jpg

stant2.jpg

Just up the road, a line came out of Stanton Ironworks and went up to Mapperley Colliery near Stanley Common. Even though the colliery had closed, two NCB tank engines were based in a small shed up a lane from West Hallam. These used to supply a small coal concentration depot that served Ilkeston, here's one of them going up the grade at West Hallam in 1965:-

ilk1.jpg

The various steelworks and industrial lines at Staveley were operated by some interesting tank locos owned by BR and based at Barrow Hill Shed, this was taken in August 1965:-

stave1.jpg

Slight change of subject , but turntables were mentioned above...Am i right in thinking there was a turntable at the end of the Embankment for the trams....Where the road is widened into a circle at the gates....If so does anyone have a pic of it ? I remember seeing the tram tracks along Arkright st.