The Locomotive 'Nottingham Forest"

Trams didn't need turntables, they just turned the poles round and pulled the seat backs over to face the other way, it may well have been for the trolleybuses.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clearly we have been posting at cross purposes... Your reference - and that of John's - relate to the Midland freight yards and loco shed running parallel with Castle Boulevard. My misinterpretation

Yes, getting the bus at 10.30. Trent End today! Plenty of atmosphere.

Posted Images

Hi Kev,

The turn round on the embankment was just that, it was wide enough for the trolley buses to come in from Arkwright street and let folk off in front of the toilets then turn full lock to the other side of the road to their pick up points ready and facing the right way to go back to the city along Arkwright street.

There was also some bus sheds on Bunbury street which was just through the embankment gates on the right and down there for about 300 yards on the left, I also remember the old tram lines still being set in the road and running into those sheds until the early 60s.

Also read somewhere that the site of those bus sheds was once the site of a football ground, either Notts or Forest

Rog

I've been sniffing about trying to take my mind off my poor doggy.

The loco in the picture looks like a Robinson GCR J11 0-6-0, not the official pit shunter, bringing in a train from the Queens Road goods yard, I believe that there was an LMS connection from the Midland line that also served the Ordnance Depot.

I had a thought that the lines around the power station were electrified, I seem to remember seeing the overhead wires, there is a reference to this on the Internet, but not a lot.

According to my findings the colliery had on it's books an ex-North London Railway 4-4-0T, an Andrew Barclay 0-6-0 saddle tank in 1900 and this:-

%6e%6f%320145020clifton20colliery.jpg

A Vulcan Foundry 0-4-0ST built in 1895.

I also found this picture which shows something sitting outside the engine shed which is visible just below the main mine buildings, tucked next to the coal conveyor:-

Clifton-Coal-Colliery-Archive-Album.jpg

I also found some track plans showing the connection from the GCR as shown on the photo:-

3_4.jpg

This map is only available in bits, but this is where the photo was taken, at the old toll bridge, sorry, it won't come out any bigger than that.

Hi Kev,

The turn round on the embankment was just that, it was wide enough for the trolley buses to come in from Arkwright street and let folk off in front of the toilets then turn full lock to the other side of the road to their pick up points ready and facing the right way to go back to the city along Arkwright street.

Rog

Isn't that the toll house on A'penny Bridge?

Even I can remember the trolly bus turning point , If they turned too quick the poles used to come off the wires and go through Turneys factory windows!!

And yes thats hapenny bridge Mick

There were definitely two different and distinct fish trains that ran through Nottingham in the early 1960s

1. Grimsby to Whitland hauled down the GC by an Immingham Brit as far as Woodford Halse or Banbury and replaced by a Castle

2. Grimsby to Nottingham and Derby and maybe beyond and ran along the Midland lines from Lincoln to Nottingham Midland then out through Lenton by a whole mixtire of locos. You could get rare Eastern Region B1's on it or it could be Derby or Nottingham Black 5's or Crabs. I have some pics of it at various locations so will bring them here soon

The "Tamworth Mail" usually arrived in Nottingham Midland at exactly 9.00 every night and went on to at least Derby. Where it went after that is a mystery to me. It was diesel hauled early on, usually a Class 31. I never saw steam on it. This train ran until 1990 and was finally Class 4 hauled.

Had to smile about Nottingham Shed - me and a mate used to climb over the sleeper fence at the end of Constance Grove and never got chucked out once - unlike Colwick.

Happy Happy Days!

2. Grimsby to Nottingham and Derby and maybe beyond and ran along the Midland lines from Lincoln to Nottingham Midland then out through Lenton

That explains things! had visions of the MR fish train coming in through Basford Vernon, I knew there was a North Lincs connection off the later Robin Hood Line (which I read is now (or shortly to) running a sunday service) having gone on north to mablethorpe but couldnt see the loco doing a run around or being turned at the midland station in order to go back out to derby etc

Hi Kev,

With reference to the "Turning point" it was nothing special just a "U" turn in the widest part of the road not a manufactured bit of kit, look on "Picture the Past" for Trent Bridge or Trent Embankment, I'm sure I saw some pics on there of the area

Rog

• 1 year later...

John,

Never any loco sheds on Wilford Road, nor even a sub-shed.

The engine sheds were at Colwick...

Wilford Road sidings used for wagon storage..you might see an occasional shunter.

Some loco's were stored there briefly prior to scrapping, but very few.

Cheers

Robt P.

Hi there true the LNER/LNWR shed was at Colwick. The shed that you are thinking of was the LMS shed on the corner of Wilford RD and Furlong Rd. On the right once you got over the bridge heading south.

Hi there true the LNER/LNWR shed was at Colwick. The shed that you are thinking of was the LMS shed on the corner of Wilford RD and Furlong Rd. On the right once you got over the bridge heading south.

There was the former Great central shed off Queen's Drive but I think it was closed some time after grouping (1923), Queens drive being a relatively small shed of four roads with capacity for 16 locos. When the GC and GN came under the same company, LNER, it would make sense to just have the one shed. Also Nottingham GC would have had a small allocation of locos mostly for local work. The main sheds on the GC being Annesley, Leicester, Woodford Halse and Neasden. Colwick on the other hand had over 160 locos allocated in 1922

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Just getting up RR and bracing myself for a stressful day. A hearty breakfast first, then put on the revered and hallowed shirt !

Yes, getting the bus at 10.30. Trent End today! Plenty of atmosphere.

• Upvote 1