WW2 Nottingham & Nottinghamshire

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My dad, far left, in the Army. 1940. Place unknown.  

My dad, far left, with the Nottingham Auxiliary Fire Service outside the Cedars Hospital in Nottingham, 1940.

My dad, far right, with the Nottingham Auxiliary Fire Service, 1940.

Just in case anyone hadn't realised the reason for Michael posting these photos, he'd posted them a few years ago but became a victim of the Photobucket ransomware and they all disappeared. I've deleted the old "blank" posts, and thanks to Micheal for repairing the damage.

• Like 2

Hi Michael booth love your photos of AFS car and trailer pump , is it ok to use the one outside cedar hospital and send it to Notts retired firefighters group to use on their site and magazine , they are always interested in any thing fire brigade, If it is OK do you have any other info names etc or stories from that time you may have been told.

cheers Trogg

•  

I'm pleased that you like it, Trogg and have no problem with you using the photos. Luckily, on the back of the photo was the names of the other auxiliary firemen which I've attached to this post. Click on the photo to enlarge it. My dad, Arthur Booth, is the second name down. I mentioned this because the writing isn't easy to read.

I hope that the Notts retired firefighters group find it of interest.

Michaels_Dad_Auxiliary_Fire_Service_1940

• Like 2

Amazing how things activate brain cells and memory . This topic has reminded me of a book published by a retired Nottingham Firefighter  David Needham title " Battle of the Flames" .

It deals with Nottingham in the war years it primarily with civil defence workers and the fire brigade . It details the bomber raids and the damage with plenty of photos. For anyone interested I am told it is a good read.

• 1 year later...

Pity some poor beggars were still battling it out in the most horrific conditions in the Far East. God rest their souls !

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Indeed.  My Dad was lucky in a way.  As I understand it he was in the Sherwood Forester's but was on temporary attachment to some unit which was ordered to Norway.  So he went, although I believe he could have insisted on going back to his own unit. The Norway Expeditionary Force was a total cock up.  Suplies didn't materialise and many were captured, including my Dad, who spent most of the war in P.O.W.s in Germany and Poland.  His unit ended up as part of the 'Forgotten Fourteenth' in the far east. Even though 5 years in P.O.W.s was no picnic, I reckon it beat the Far East.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • 2 years later...