A Contemporary view of Nottingham 1700

My mother was taken ill this weekend and because the rest of the family were all away I made an emergency visit to Nottingham early on Sunday, made sure everything was OK, she's fine now, sort of, then returned home yesterday via my sons house in Lenton and a quick drive around Nottingham to look at the changes.

While down the end of Parliament Street, I looked over at Colwick Woods and had a cunning plan, I thought I'd try to reproduce the vista in that painting with my camera.

Not easy, I hadn't been up to Colwick Woods for 5 years when I played in a football match at a sports ground that I found no longer existed.

I started off near some sort of college and parked where a bridge used to be on the Surburban Railway. I walked up a footpath into Colwick Woods and realised there was no vantage point. Going back to the car, I found a sign to Colwick woods and went up there and parked near some grotty pub. No way can you find a vantage point, I bumped into a chap with his grandaughter and camera, who by coincidence was also trying to take a picture across the city, no, it wasn't anyone from Nottstalgia, but he's going to look on here.

I then drove all over the place trying to find a vantage point and ended up here:-

nottm054.jpg

The Queen Adelaide at the top of Windmill Lane, I love the bollards for the school.

Next to it is a building site, hop over the low wall and you get a fantastic vista of the city, when I stood there and thought about it, it must be almost the same place from where he painted his picture.

A one off picture didn't work, so I took a series of scans, I'd love to put them all together to reproduce the painting, I'll have to experiment, but in the mean time, this is the current view from left to right, I'm sure you'll know where I'm pointing the camera.

nottm049.jpg

nottm048.jpg

nottm047.jpg

nottm046.jpg

nottm045.jpg

nottm044.jpg

nottm051.jpg

nottm052.jpg

nottm053.jpg

It's all slightly different from the original isn't it.

I think that the city looks mess though, whats to do with the abandoned flats at the top of Windmill Lane, people down here would die for a view like that.

Fynger

Mother needed stocking up on some food items so I took her for a run out on Sunday, supermarket and nostalgia trip.

I ended up at Sainsburies in Kimberley, I looked round but couldn't see any of the Fyngers.

What upset me was when I had a drive past Hardy Hansons Brewery, all shut up, yet still there, signs all blazing, those evil pieces of filth at Greene King have a lot to answer for, it was a terrible thing to see.

I noted the number of HH pubs with pathetic banners outside advertising GK beers and the devious ways in which they try to promote their products, they were all over the place.

DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO THESE PEOPLE, THEY HAVE PUT THE CITIZENS OF KIMBERLEY OUT OF WORK, BUT WHAT DO THEIR SHAREHOLDERS CARE. Pour their pints of p1$$ on the floor and lets be rid of these scumbags, do not buy any Greene King products and preserve the brewing industry in this country before it's too late.

These are the beers that these con merchants try to convince you are real ales:-

Ruddles, Morlands, Ridleys, Hardy Hansons. They are liars, they have taken over these succesful breweries, shut them down and put thousands of people out of work who were involved with profitable companies, why, because they want the pub outlets to con you into buying their own brand of crap rubbish.

Nuff said.

Hard to tell 'aint it Firbeck? depending on your lens I still feel the painting was from further back and higher because of the size of St Marys church.And he showed the horizon above the level of the church.It would be great to get shots from 100 foot up to get over the buildings.You've got two of the landmarks on though. gghhjj-1.jpg

nottm044.jpg

I think there's a lot of artistic licence in the landscape painting. For St Mary's to look like that you'd have to be looking from the south and that doesn't fit. And what's the large building to the right of the church???

I'd say your best bet would be the site of Greenwood Dale School. Up towards where they built the reservoir in the early 70s.

I'd say your best bet would be the site of Greenwood Dale School. Up towards where they built the reservoir in the early 70s.

Thats where I went to Bamber, but it's difficult to get a full panorama from there, they'd left the gates unlocked and I was able to get in there to study the view, but it was hopeless, and by the way, the reservoir is all fenced off.

From what I could see, the view was too far to the left any way, this seemed more like the actual position, but as Poohbear says, you needed to be looking at it from a hot air balloon, a hundred feet or so up, and, yes, it's all artistic licence, I had noticed that St Mary's had been turned through 90 degrees, therefore getting a full view of the nave and chancel, odd thing to do, the artist must have been in fear of the post Reformation reprocussions.

There seems to be a problem with having views these days, anywhere up Sneinton/Carlton way with a view was fenced off. When I had my little walk at Easter I noticed they'd allowed Catstone Hill to be overgrown with trees, thus ruining one of the finest views in the area, it's sacriledge, what are this people thinking about, 'Elf and Safety I expect, don't want folk to get dizzy taking it all in.

Enlighten me more about the pub Den, it was definately at the top of Windmill Lane, but it did look a bit rough, I must admit, though at least it wasn't boarded up and plastered with GK posters, bloody good view from there, must be the finest in the city, I bet it isn't appreciated.

You have to climb over the low wall next door and stand on the pile of wood shavings, it's well worth it, I could have stood there for hours taking it all in.

I took the liberty of brightening them up a bit Pete , maybe Fynger can stitch them together again !!!

nottm049.jpg

nottm048.jpg

nottm047.jpg

nottm046.jpg

nottm045.jpg

nottm044.jpg

nottm051.jpg

nottm052.jpg

nottm053.jpg

Weird isn't it, all the older parts of Nottingham that were built by landowners and not "planned" we seek to preserve, yet everything that has been "planned" by councils/local authorities we cannot care tuppence about.

Good images though, pity the sky was not clear.

Weird isn't it, all the older parts of Nottingham that were built by landowners and not "planned" we seek to preserve, yet everything that has been "planned" by councils/local authorities we cannot care tuppence about.

Trent Bridge?...planned, but a respected landmark I would have thought.

What a fantastic job you've both done Ian and Kev, I'm really impressed, 100 out of 10 to you both.

I tried to lighten up the pictures myself before I published them but I can't work out how to do it, there doesn't seem to be a simple solution on this Fuji download system.

How did you stitch them together Kev, I was going to print them off, stick the images together then re-scan, but my colour cartridges seem to have run out of blue.

It's fortunate that the sky was overcast, as my naff digi would have automatically re-adjusted so much, that the buildings would have come out black.

There's so much more detail to study now, I find it fascinating, it's interesting that Charnwood Forest appears behind the Eastcroft chimney, and I hadn't noticed that you could see Meadow Lane.

I'd love see a set of pictures taken from there over the past 5 decades while I've been alive, remember when the tallest and most contemporary building in the city was the college Newton Building, you can't even see it now, have they taken the mast off the top.

• 3 weeks later...

This picture of Sneinton Hermitage 1888 shows the hill in the background that is now Greenwood Road.Not a house in sight.....maybe 88 years earlier that is where the artist set up his easle for the 1700 picture of South Nottingham.

kkkkkkkk.jpg

• 6 years later...