old sneinton schools, greenwood, sneinton boulevard, sneinton trust,

Hello all

Just discovered this excellent site. The bits I have read bring back so many memories. Born on Lord Nelson Street 1956. Aged 2 moved to Baden Powell Road. Went to Greenwood Infants (top of the hill) Then Greenwood Junior (top of Baden Powell Road) Walked about 30 yards, crossed the Boulevard and was at school. Fortunate to pass 11 Plus so went to Mundella Grammar School. Moved to Carlton aged 13 in 1969. Had a great childhood in Sneinton.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello Alamo You are a little older than me but lived in my area,we was the stredders,a bit rough around the edges,but we turned out alright.It seems a lot of people have emigrated who live

Funny old world, innit? I went to Sneinton Boulevard School in all 3 grades, infants, juniors & seniors leaving at Christmas 1942. Not much point trying for a reunion is it? Starting aged 5 my 6-7

I married a sneinton girl,Carole Marsden,her dad was "Tishy Marsden",he was a well known boxer in his day

• 7 months later...

Greenwood Dale Bi-Laterial 1971 to 1976.....loved 1975 to May 1976, then got dumped by my firstbig love! Great school thou, some brill teachers, Mr Bonnington, Mr Adey, Mr Graham & my best mate Mr Fletcher!

i went to greenwood from 1980_85, mr. graham was still there as was mr. fletcher great teacher( spoke to him a couple of years back still an absolute gentleman) mr. adey was also still there but sadly took his own life in 1982_83 ish as i remember, as you can imagine the news shook the whole school.he was a great teacher.

• 6 months later...

Funny old world, innit? I went to Sneinton Boulevard School in all 3 grades, infants, juniors & seniors leaving at Christmas 1942. Not much point trying for a reunion is it? Starting aged 5 my 6-7 year old brother had to walk me there & back 4 times a day, our Mother worked at a local dairy with a 6am start time but nipped home to get us up and off to school, we were sometimes late and Miss Woolley infant Head teacher used a wooden ruler on the thigh as punishment, they didn't flex very well so frequently broke!

Now days Mothers are being rebuked for driving their children to school whilst still dressed in their pyjamas, do they go back to bed on their return?

• Upvote 2
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I knew of a Alan Bryant off Shrewsbury road lol

Can you remember Mr De Lee he was maths teacher st bernadettes he sadly passed away 2 years ago at the grand old age of 97 my brother worked as his  private carer 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2010 at 11:00 PM, lupo said:

Hello Alamo

You are a little older than me but lived in my area,we was the stredders,a bit rough around the edges,but we turned out alright.It seems a lot of people have emigrated who lived in sneinton,such a pity,as all the people from sneinton was good,uns.I still miss sneinton and the people,but unfortunatly,i dont miss England,but all the good times was in sneinton(was they really good times)i have a look round on google earth,and dont recognise the place,when i come over to England,i will have a good look round sneinton,as i said the people,was really good,most of us struggled,but still had time to know everybody.

cheers lupo

Hi Lupo

Not sure what your true name is but i lived at 27 Upper Eldon St from about 1962 to 1980 & also went to Sneinton C Of E up until 1969 what year was you around

Regards  Jimmy Wade 

On 11/5/2013 at 7:37 AM, Trooper Kerry said:

Greenwood Dale Bilateral School has been all but airbrushed from the Nottingham Academy History book. No reunions at the school have been held to my knowledge.

Hi Kerry

Not sure if I remember you but i also was at Greenwood around the same years, who else are you still in contact with.

Regards  Jimmy Wade 

• Upvote 1

Mention of Sneinton brought to mind a chap with whom I worked many years ago, Tom Huggon. I believe he became very involved with the area and the preservation of its historical buildings. The Old Ragged School springs to mind.

Tom Huggon was a solicitor by profession and a partner in the practice of Browne Jacobson & Roose when it was situated on the corner of Friar Lane and Maid Marian Way. A colourful and, I always thought, rather Dickensian character. In my book, by the way, that is a compliment!

Tom is almost certainly still with us and although I believe he hailed from Lancashire originally, has done a lot for the Sneinton area.

On 7 October 2013 at 11:22 PM, Trooper Kerry said:

Greenwood Dale Bi-Laterial 1971 to 1976.....loved 1975 to May 1976, then got dumped by my firstbig love! Great school thou, some brill teachers, Mr Bonnington, Mr Adey, Mr Graham & my best mate Mr Fletcher!

I left in 71 but had the same teachers, they was all good, but I liked Mr Fletcher too :)

On 23 December 2014 at 10:30 PM, steve7martin said:

Hello all

Just discovered this excellent site. The bits I have read bring back so many memories. Born on Lord Nelson Street 1956. Aged 2 moved to Baden Powell Road. Went to Greenwood Infants (top of the hill) Then Greenwood Junior (top of Baden Powell Road) Walked about 30 yards, crossed the Boulevard and was at school. Fortunate to pass 11 Plus so went to Mundella Grammar School. Moved to Carlton aged 13 in 1969. Had a great childhood in Sneinton.

I too was born in 56 and went to Greenwood Junior so must have been there at the same time

Hello Sneintongirl I started at the Junior school in 1964 Miss Coulson was my first teacher. Mr Bentley was the teacher in the fourth year. Headmaster Mr Wells, nice man. Deputy head Mr Tate, not quite as nice. I also remember a Mrs Proqupchuqe (not spelt right). Any of these names sound familiar to you? 

• 1 month later...
On 2017-5-15 at 1:41 AM, Jimmy Wade said:

Hi Lupo

Not sure what your true name is but i lived at 27 Upper Eldon St from about 1962 to 1980 & also went to Sneinton C Of E up until 1969 what year was you around

Regards  Jimmy Wade 

Hi Jimmy, I cant remember you as you left in 74, but you might have known Steve Wright, Steve Chambers, Paul Doogan, Nicola Watts, Dawn Huntbach,Danny Boyes, Leon Needham, Kevin Britton, Colin Goddard, ....I'm Martin Kerry, used to live off Oakdale Rd near Tally Ho.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

My dad was born in Sneinton in 1910 in Moorland Street and the family moved to Port Arthur Road. Which primary school was nearest to Port Arthur Road at that time? I have a school photo but this has no identification on it. I hope someone knows about this. It would make my day!

Big thanks Cliff Ton. This has made my day. I have looked at maps but could not work this one out as I do not know the area or how it has changed. In 1966 dad drove me around there to show me where he lived and I regret that I did not ask him to tell me more. He talked lots about his secondary school which was Lenton Boulevard. I have his maths and English books from there.

Bilborough Shirley, you say your dad went to secondary school on Lenton boulevard, would that be Cottesmore school. I went to Radford boulevard until end of '58. We used to have to walk to Cottesmore as we had some classrooms there. Also our school dinners were taken in a dining room there, along with the kitchen, (my mum worked in there for a while). Greetings for a Happy New Year. B.