old sneinton schools, greenwood, sneinton boulevard, sneinton trust,

Thanks for your reply Beekay. Dad's maths and English books have Lenton Council School on the cover ( and Sisson and Parker!) and the date is January 1923. He would have turned 13 then. He talked about a teacher called Mr Hutchinson. He taught them maths and they did log tables. Dad asked Mr Hutchinson who invented log tables and how did they do it. Mr Hutchinson told him off. Clearly he did not know! I am not sure where Cottesmore school is. 

Best wishes for a happy New Year and all the best for 2022. S.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello Alamo You are a little older than me but lived in my area,we was the stredders,a bit rough around the edges,but we turned out alright.It seems a lot of people have emigrated who live

Funny old world, innit? I went to Sneinton Boulevard School in all 3 grades, infants, juniors & seniors leaving at Christmas 1942. Not much point trying for a reunion is it? Starting aged 5 my 6-7

I married a sneinton girl,Carole Marsden,her dad was "Tishy Marsden",he was a well known boxer in his day

Bilborough Shirley, thanks for your prompt reply. Your dad's school could have been this one (see attached pic). Cottesmore school is/was on the boulevard opposite Raleigh offices. If you turn right,off Ilkeston Road at Radford boulevard school, Cottesmore is a out 200/300 yards on the left. I've no idea what the schools are called or used for nowadays. I suspect from what you've told me, that dad's school is the Lenton one. It's the only one on that road.

Screenshot-20211228-094953-Maps.jpg

• Like 1
11 hours ago, BilboroughShirley said:

Thanks for your reply Beekay. Dad's maths and English books have Lenton Council School on the cover ( and Sisson and Parker!) and the date is January 1923.

I'm pretty sure Lenton Council Schools were these, at the end of Lenton Boulevard  (obviously ignoring the new names) https://goo.gl/maps/xQFsdMmSJiHTsfi36

Lenton Times website have a large section devoted to the subject, including several photos from your dad's era.

https://www.lentontimes.co.uk/streets/lenton_early_schools.htm

• Like 1

If you look at the Lenton Times link, they explain how those schools started out under one name, and then were merged and changed, and became something else, and now they've changed again.

When BilboroughShirley looks at the old photos, we might get confirmation if she finds her dad there.

• Like 1

I have just looked at the 1922 photo of Lenton School. Dad is not listed and he is not on the back row where the pupils are not named. Granddad got married again in August 1922 and they moved to Harrington Drive. Dad's books are dated January 1923 so that was probably about the time they moved house. 

I am enjoying this! Thanks.

As an aside, when I were about 12/13 we used to have to walk from boulevard school, all the way down to the Lenton school for our woodwork lessons, for reasons never explained to us mere mortals.

The woodwork shop then moved up to Cottesmore, in one of their prefab buildings, we also had a metalwork class in another room. So we still had a walk, though not so far. Wasn't so bad when it were the last morning lesson, then we could hang around till lunch time.

Couldn't find anywhere to have a fag though.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...