Read a little about the old pleasure park at the bottom of trent lane,it was a good day out down trent lane,first the old man who used to ferry you over the trent to bridgeford for a penny,then into the pleasure park when you came back,it used to be 2pennies to get in,or walk all the way round the old football fields,past the old white city dog track,and the old pieces of planes in the old raf cadets i think it was,and over the fence at the back.there was the penny arcade and the rounderbout,the pull me swings and a paddleing pool that got really slippy in the summer with the slime on the bottom,then you could swim off the steps,but mind the brocken glass on the bottom,and fenced off areas for swimming as well,came out of the water dirtier than when you went in.

lupo

• 3 weeks later...

Its nice to hear from someone who remembers the Pleasure park at the bottom of trent lane,we spent lots of time there in the 1950s,I have no photos at all, if you have any it would be nice to see them,you were right about the slippery paddling pool floor.there was not much there but we played in the water all day only stopping for our bread and jam sandwiches.We had a long walk down Trent lane and sometimes we walked one way from Gedling if the money didn't stretch to a bus both ways.There was a scrap merchant down Trent Lane called Lang i think he was some distant relation to me?One day someone pushed me in the Trent and I nearly drowned thankfully i was pulled out safely.I suppose Health and Safety would have closed it down today.

There was a scrap yard on Trent Lane, in the sixties i think it was called Trickets.

!clapping! Yep, definitely Trickets, used to give low prices on Aluminium & Lead, but no questions asked!! no names, no pack drill!!

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

Its nice to hear from someone who remembers the Pleasure park at the bottom of trent lane,we spent lots of time there in the 1950s,I have no photos at all, if you have any it would be nice to see them,you were right about the slippery paddling pool floor.there was not much there but we played in the water all day only stopping for our bread and jam sandwiches.We had a long walk down Trent lane and sometimes we walked one way from Gedling if the money didn't stretch to a bus both ways.There was a scrap merchant down Trent Lane called Lang i think he was some distant relation to me?One day someone pushed me in the Trent and I nearly drowned thankfully i was pulled out safely.I suppose Health and Safety would have closed it down today.

Was interesting to read this about the Pleasure Park and the Trent. One day in the 50s my friend and I walked over Trent Fields to get the ferry boat over to the pleasure park The ferryman wasnt there that day so we started to walk along the side of the Trent. I walked on the bottom step at one stage and it was very muddy. I slipped and couldnt grip onto anything!! My feet were dangling in the water and if someone hadnt come along I would have drowned. My little bag with my picnic in went floating out in the river! Was frightened to go home and face my mother.

• 11 months later...

That corner of Trent Lane was full of railway lines

By the side of what is now the Vigin building - going down Trent Lane towards Sneinton - you could find two railway bridges and one level crossing all at the same point. One of those bridges is now demolished but the pillars are still there; the other bridge is still there but has nothing on it; and the level crossing is still there but only for pedestrians

Thanks for the welcome. I think there were two lines passed over Trent lane and there was a crossing under the bridge. One of the lines used to run passed the bottom of my Dads garden on Highcliffe Road going to Woodthorpe Park where the flats are now. Trickets was the scrap yard on Trent Lane and can anybody remember all the army trucks that were stored just of the railway line were the new houses are now (Colwick Crossing). This used to be an adventure play ground far greater than Rambo ever had, we used to walk down the railway line, over the bridge on Colwick Road and there were tanks, armoured cars and all kinds of kids stuff to kill people?.

The old Colwick Crossing keepers house, when I came to Nottm in 1963,

belonged to the Nottingham Sleeper Company.

I think around that time it was sold for £500

Last time I saw it, it was being lived in.

Can you imagine living there even now, let alone when steam

trains were about?

The bloke who lived in that house ,certainly in the 80's, was an inventor (The name escapes me) who invented all sorts of things, including a snooker cue for one handed people!!

The bloke who lived in that house ,certainly in the 80's, was an inventor (The name escapes me) who invented all sorts of things, including a snooker cue for one handed people!!

Are we talking of same house? (no photo) think Mick talking of little cottage right next to track? There was/is "mad professor" type of inventor at a largish house at start of old section of Colwick Rd, had a boat in garden which I went to look at and loads of other stuff here there and everywhere, told me he invented some sort of walking aid for the disabled

• Like 1

Are we talking of same house? (no photo) think Mick talking of little cottage right next to track? There was/is "mad professor" type of inventor at a largish house at start of old section of Colwick Rd, had a boat in garden which I went to look at and loads of other stuff here there and everywhere, told me he invented some sort of walking aid for the disabled

I remember him too. When we were parked up at the bus terminus he used to have a chat, the walking aid he invented was called a "Step Stick", some sort of stick with a small step fitted at the bottom. He did say it was to help elderly people get on and off buses easier. Never caught on though cos the fronts of buses nowadays can be lowered !

Nice bloke but can't remember his name though. Mind you this was about thirty years or so ago.

Your referring to Tony Apperley, moved from rose cottage Lenton.

Inventor of the 'Step Stick' Mentioned in 'Lenton Times'

See The Nottingham Sleeper Company

Tony Apperley Moved from a similar Cottage on the canal off castle blvd.

There was some news coverage as he was moved against his will,

due to the cottage being knocked down for some redevelopement.

His place was a bit further round the corner with land attached,

a corner plot as I remember.

I last met Tony Apperley in the 1970s

He would come in to Canning Circus Police Station

Where I worked at that time. Would always say

I'm Tony Apperley inventor of the Step Stick, and then demonstrate

the one he was carrying.

The stick was an aluminium walking stick with a fold down step

on the bottom. Great for getting on buses but not very practical

for walking with, I always thought.

That station was in a prime position for attracting the local

nutte characters :)

Blimey Charley, that was a link !! I didn't remember those posts!! Mind you it proves I wasn't telling fibs , as my posts from then and now are not too dissimilar!.........LOL

I met him at the Theatre Royal in about 1983, I was out of work at the time and had wangled a free ticket to see a matinée performance of a musical called "Bubbling Brown Sugar" It was allegedly the managers birthday , but in reality they just hadn't sold many (If any) tickets. Those of us who were 'freeloaders ' were all sat together and Tony was sat next to me , of course at some point we got into conversation and he told me what he did. I was too embarrassed to say I was unemployed and , for my sins, told him I made sold and fitted double glazing !! he did no more than invite me round to his gaff to price up some for him , (Needless to say I didn't show ! Sorry Tony!)

I knew it wasn't the same house, that crossing one not large enough for a start! unless he moved? looks like the house I met him at now demolished? Funny hearing about that house on the canal as I knew someone who lived at a house on the canal side think at end of warwick street, anyone seeing it would know it, the canal side garden was full of strange statues and oddities, seem to recall a giant ice cream cone! the guy who lived at that was called Terry, he also was known by another name! but not that of the inventor. think at one time he had a cafe on castle boulevard.

I'm sure it was Clif tons one , mind you it does look like it's been rebuilt since I was last down that way. (Probably cause he needed double glazing !!)

• 2 weeks later...

Web wrote:

does anybody remember monkey park where Virgin Media is now.

I do, we used to live in Victoria Avenue off Sneinton Dale late 50's to about 1963. We used to play football down there a lot. I remember there was a bowling green as well as swings and i think there was a slide there as well. There was also some sort of water treatment next to it. Used to knock around with Jimmy Roberts and Tony Pearson, where are they now i wonder? Live in Ilfracombe since 1979, lifes hard! !tanning!