• 2 weeks later...

Michael, I wanted to give you a link to the other thread you mentioned, but i'm afraid I have lost the plot on this new format,Meadow Lane (Railways) is the thread you and Piggy and Babs chatted about the Monkey Park. Go to  #48 and #49. Hope this helps.:biggrin:

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
On 2/8/2011 at 6:53 PM, mick2me said:

See The Nottingham Sleeper Company

Tony Apperley Moved from a similar Cottage on the canal off castle blvd. There was some news coverage as he was moved against his will, due to the cottage being knocked down for some redevelopement. His place was a bit further round the corner with land attached, a corner plot as I remember.

Tony Apperley  didn't live at Crossings Cottage, he did indeed live around the corner. 

This one - 

On 2/8/2011 at 10:05 PM, mick2me said:

His house was the last one of that row and has a sign on it saying Rose Cottages which is still there.  The land at the side belongs to that house.  

I used to walk my dog on Colwick park with his wife who also took their dog on there.  She told the tale of the little triangle of land that was at the end of her garden that joined the crossing, being sold to their dog for 1p by the railway.  I presume that Tony had asked permission to buy it to complete their land.

That bit of land seems to have been taken back although I guess that nobody even remembers, or knew that  it didn't belong to the railway anymore.

He had fought a long battle with the council to try and remain in his original house by the canal, off Castle Boulevard but they got it off him in the end, he brought the sign with him though.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/11/2020 at 9:20 PM, nonnaB said:

I remember Neville King. Where I worked he was a regular collector. He was a lovely person especially if there were any children waiting to have their hair cut. We had a couple of Downs Syndrome girls and he was great with them and they with him. They would look everywhere to see where the voices were coming from. The whole salon would stop to listen to him.

Thanks for the jnfo.

Nice guy, always had a joke when he called. Once met never forgotten.  Or as my Mum would say  'He has me in fits every time he calls'.    That was repeated every time he called to who ever was in earshot.   Had no idea what being 'in fits" was.  

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 2/8/2011 at 10:39 AM, Ashley said:

Are we talking of same house? (no photo) think Mick talking of little cottage right next to track? There was/is "mad professor" type of inventor at a largish house at start of old section of Colwick Rd, had a boat in garden which I went to look at and loads of other stuff here there and everywhere, told me he invented some sort of walking aid for the disabled

The man was Tony Apperley, an inventor, he did live at the start of the old section of Colwick Road.  He fought a battle with the council to stay in his old house  off Castle Boulevard - Rose cottages. When he was forced to move, he took the Rose Cottages sign with him and it is still on the side of the house he used to live in at Colwick.  He is long dead now.