One thing that may come as a shock to you, my old chum and workmate, John Peters has done his final weekend shows on Smooth, he is no longer part of their regular line up.

How sad is that, that the guy who did the first breakfast shows on both Trent and Gem, is no longer on any radio station on a regular basis.

What is happening to "local" radio?

It's not just local radio Craig, look what they do on Radio 2 nationally. Steve Wright is away this week, so who do they replace him with, Graham Bloody Norton. Whether you like Steve Wright or not, he is a proper DJ, not like that whining little tow rag Norton, as soon as he came on the radio on monday I turned it off, so did my missus on her way back to work. It's a similar story on a saturday, we have to put up with that other whining little pillock Alan Carr, well, not, I don't listen to it and R2 on a sunday is so bad, filled with amatures like Alan Titchmarsh, Elaine Page and other pathetic notaries that the BBC think make good DJ's. I know that R2 has to really juggle with it's audience, trying to please a huge range of tastes, but sometimes I can't listen to it.

At least they've got the sense to name Chris Evans as a replacement for Sir Terry in the mornings, working on the evening drive time slot has really worked for Evans, he's come along way since his really arrogant days on Radio 1.

What worries me is who will replace Chris in the evenings, no doubt some whining little shirtlifter, hopefully it will be Mark Radcliffe and Stuart Maconie who I think are wasted on their night slot, bring back Mark and Lard I say, proper DJ's, they used to have me bent double with laughing.

I agree Pete. Some of the guest presenters should stick to what they know and stay away from DJ'ing. Had to turn over myself - Norton might be a lot of things but he isn't a DJ.

Can't stand Ginger Top so it looks like I'll be moving the dial to another frequency. Just as I do on Saturdays when Ross is on.

I'll miss Wogan, as I miss Johnnie Walker.

Radio 3 or 4?...............such a dilema........

I can understand your concern about the Minger, Frank, but give him a chance, no-one will ever replace Sir Terry, whoever it is.

Personally, I think that Johnny Walker is the greatest DJ of all time, starting with his time at Caroline, he has so much experience, so capable of dealing with people and his musical taste is just the dogs, he's still around, don't write him off yet, despite his serious illness et al. My 93 year old mother thinks he's the greatest thing ever to happen on radio, she loves him to bits, when I went to see her last week, she was distraught that her radio was playing up and couldn't get Johnny on a sunday afternoon so I had to reset the ariel.

Love Bob Harris too, he hasn't quite got the gab that Walker has, which is all part of the job, but I've discovered so much unknown music through him. Can Norton, Carr, Titchmarsh and the others do that, no way, they are just comfortable with what they know, not what is out there to be discovered, which is what a proper DJ is all about.

I cant honestly say that Mr Evans is the best bloke for brekky after Tel, but, whenever JW has filled in whilst Tel has been grouting, he was always a great substitute, and have I ever mentioned our meeting, as I was having coffee with Dale Winton?

He is a really nice guy, and would be a good replacement for Terry, but as I understand it, he doesnt, or at least didnt want to be on air as often as that, and is more than happy with his weekend slot, and filling in.

However, Chris has the gig, but I wonder who will fill his slot, Richard Alinson was always a worthy advocate, and is "only" now on at horrible 'o clock, so maybe him, or will they go for one time Capital radio man, Chris Tarrant, after all, at one time he was London's most listened to brekky jock.

As mentioned by someone else, Mark and Lard would be welcomed back by many people, me included.

But, one name no one has mentioned yet would be in the running for the drive time slot, and my money is on him for the job.............one time radio Nottingham man......Simon Mayo.

PS, Im in total agreement about those other "celebs" playing at being radio presenters.

Chris Evans you say!

Once a Pr... always a Pr... (not a four letter word you not) Thats what I say.

Cant stand the guy, apart from being a self centred overpaid git, his voice is

very annoying, as is his manner.

In the late 60's I did not particularly like Terry Wogan (he was from the older generation)

More recently I listened to his program, which was different from all the other local radio morning broadcasts formats.

And I do not wish to appear sexist but many of the lady DJs are unbearable.

I have to turn off most female radio presenters, However I do like the famale

presenter on the early morning program before Wogan (Sarah Kennedy?)

And Fran Godfrey is great.

Not to mention ALED JONES as a DJ!

Aled Jones!!!! A DJ????????

Without name dropping......as my friend Dale Winton used to say...." He'll never be a DJ whilst he's got a hole in his a*se!!!!"

As for women folk on radio, I totally agree with you, there are not that many who can cut it for me, actually Amanda Bowman, my old Trent Careline reader is exempt from that, but most others grate like a.......erm..........grater!

My wager for that drive slot is Mango!

Excuse my ignorance Craig, but who do you mean when you say Mango? You aren't referring to the present colour of Dale Wintons face are you, with respect to your obvious friendship and previous working relationship with Dale, if he got the drive time job I'd really have to grit my teeth and switch to Radio Essex instead.

Alhed Jones is on to operate the traditional 'God Spot' on a sunday morning, somebody has to do it, I don't think he's all that annoying, at least they still do it, start complaining when it's put on a friday and presented by a beardy wierdy dustbin sack with an unpronounceable name.

Sounds to me like you should apply for the drive time job mate, I might get annoyed with the amount of Tamla Motown that you'd play, but you sound well qualified for it, I'd be interested to hear more about your career in broadcasting, what do you do now.

I've been working on some drawings for our local nature reserve this morning, which means sitting at my drawing board and listening to the radio. I love Brian Matthews slot, first thing, he plays some great obscure stuff from the 60's, but then Ross comes on and spoils things, it's just a load of self indulgent crap, I preferred it when he was banned and Lisa Tarbuck took over, a woman, shock horror, but amusing and sincere non the less. Unfortunately your pal Dale has come on with what was Alan Freemans past chart show, I actually feel sorry for him having to play some of this crap, I'm sure he hates it too, but I shall persevere and think of his plastic, beaming, orange face with respect, bro.

Never heard of him Beefy mate, and here I am sitting in the sunshine in Costa Del Sol!!!! (29C and lovin' it).

Not being sexist, but female DJ's (especially the ones on R1) should stick to women things and stay away from the microphone.....if you get my drift.

Richard Allison deserves his own prime time slot...a much under rated presenter.

I've heard that changes are under way to R2 to get a younger audience.... such as happened in the past at R1.

Frank! You have never heard of Chris "The Mouth" Ashley? I dont believe it as Victor Meldrew would say!

He was on Trent in its heyday.

In fact, as written elsewhere, it was he and Graham Knight who persuaded me to do a 13 mile charity walk, which turned into a run of half marathon proportion, just so we could get to the pub before it closed!

As for Mango, no, nothing to do with Dale, anyway, hes more tangerine! Mango was Simon Mayo's nickname at Rad Nottm.

As for me actually applying to R2 for a job, Im sure you've noticed a pattern, no upcomers working their way in radio, you have to already be established in another medium, TV for instance, so I wouldn't stand a chance.

Another Notts connection to Chris Ashley is a pub in Old Basford, anyone know which one, and what connection there is to it?

My radio never moves from 5 Live in the car and the home Victoria D*rbyshire in the morning , Peter Allen and Anita Anan in the afternoon , Stephen Nolan or Richard Bacon i have on when i go to bed , Colin Murray's fighting talk Saturday morning is my favorite , love Alan Green's football commentary and 606 phone in , 5 Live for me.

I was talking to a bloke @ work about old radio shows said he used to tape all your shows Craig !!

Not sure who the black guy was ? who was deejaying last @ Lloyds No 1 down the Waterfront he was packing the floor with a bit of Alexander O'Neil / Jermaine Stewart / Shalamar / Evelyn King all 80s stuff , I'd give him the job.

Richard Allison deserves his own prime time slot...a much under rated presenter.

Sorry mate, in our household, he's the worst of the lot. He's smug, slimey, insincere, has absolutely no understandable wit or repartee whatsover, his interview techniques have us crawling with embarresment. It's noticeable that he's only used to fill in when they are desperate, at which point we switch off. I have noticed his absence recently, perhaps the 'powers that be' saw the light at last, just like ITV Sport have done with David 'Monotone' Pleat.

You will now find RA in a very late/very early slot at the weekend, thats probably why you thought he wasnt on.

I dont agree with your comments on him though, I think he is talented, and so do other radio stations, he's worked for BBC Radio Oxford, Capital Radio, Radio Cumbria, and currently he has a show on BBC Radio York.

I'm glad I can't pick up BBC York then, I'd prefer to see him working for BBC Rockall, and based there, permanently.

If the BBC see him as the future of prime time radio, I'll stick to CD's in future.

I'd like to know what talent this man has, or is my previous description of him the medias idea of what they think the public want.

Sorry Craig, without question, everyone I know thinks he's a complete t@sser, if he's that good, he would have had a permanent prime time spot years ago, clearly some people in the business have some sense.

Another Notts connection to Chris Ashley is a pub in Old Basford, anyone know which one, and what connection there is to it?

Margarate ran "Catchems Corner" before Chris (Who was staying in digs just round the corner) wandered in for a pint one night , and sort of never went home !!

I worked with him on a Sunday night for many years as we did a silly show, themed most weeks , ie Carribean ,where I blacked up, or Thunderbirds where Chris dressed as Lady Penelope!! Perhaps my favourite was when we did Christmas (In July) I had managed to find the "Christmas lights" from the loft, wrapped them round myself before he came on (We never new what the other was going to do till we were on stage) and pugged myself in (Complete with a few baubles and bits of tinsel)

Any way Chris came on to the little stage and didn't see me !!! and asked my mate Dave where I was!!

They married in 1991/2 and moved out to "The Bull" at Diseworth, I went abroad to work and we lost touch.

Loads of other funny stuff happened includuing the Sunday we both went to Wembley to see Notts versus Brighton in a play off to go to div one , Chris was a big Brighton fan and me A Notts fan . With us winning it made for a great evening , poor Chris didn't half suffer!!!!

Oh and Firbeck ,I hear R A speaks very highly of yourotfl.gif

I'm glad I can't pick up BBC York then, I'd prefer to see him working for BBC Rockall, and based there, permanently.

If the BBC see him as the future of prime time radio, I'll stick to CD's in future.

I'd like to know what talent this man has, or is my previous description of him the medias idea of what they think the public want.

Sorry Craig, without question, everyone I know thinks he's a complete t@sser, if he's that good, he would have had a permanent prime time spot years ago, clearly some people in the business have some sense.

One mans meat....as the saying goes!

It would be a boring old place if we all liked the same thing, for me though, Id rather listen to RA than CE anyday.

I agree with what you say, everyone thinking differently makes the world go round, well, sort of, we have many blips unfortunately.

All radio DJ's have the love and listen to me factor, the insincerity lurks underneath the surface, but it's all part of the job, it's DJ nature, they wouldn't be able to function otherwise if they didn't go along with it. The problem I find with Allinson is that he, unlike Evans, can't deliver it succesfully, he has too many hang ups, he really can't cope with people, though he thinks he can, he has no apparent self confidence and the ability to deal with it in a rewarding way, though he thinks he has, isn't that the essence of being a good DJ.

I'm really surprised that you lot out there are supporting this man, nice chap I'm sure, but clueless. Don't like him, thats that, and I'm not the only one who thinks that way. It's a sin to be paid large sums of money at the public expense for being a pratt.

Firbeck

I totally agree with one of your earlier posts, you are much better off putting on a CD than listening to the inane prattle of certain DJs.I remember one afternoon while at work we were listening to Chris Evans and in one hour he played three records,people dont want that ,they want to hear music.

And I do not wish to appear sexist but many of the lady DJs are unbearable.

I have to turn off most female radio presenters, However I do like the famale

presenter on the early morning program before Wogan (Sarah Kennedy?)

And Fran Godfrey is great.

I have to agree with you Mick. I really dont like listening to the female presenters. I used to listen to Trent all the time, but it went through a phase of a Male/Female duo on my way to work and a female on the way home... me no-likey :(