Peveril Street

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whoever it was must have moved into our house after we moved to Carlton. We lived at no 13 - above and behind the off licence then run by Bruce Roper.

Digging around randomly on the net, I found this. I've come to the conclusion it's a really good photo because it's so ordinary. Just an average day looking down Peveril Street.

Just found this topic and as you can imagine from my forum name I was brought up on Peveril St. No 13a, which was above/behind the off license and 3 doors below the original Scientific Exchange. We sh

• 5 months later...

I well remember Peveril St. I lived on Gadd St, and as it was a"dead end" had to go down to Southey St, and then along Lake St. The newsagents were on the corner. Up Peveril St was the John Beales Hosiery factory where my mum worked. There was a pub up there, I think it was The Marquis Of Lorne. The camera shop was a favourite of one guy from the factory, a keen photographer who did weddings etc in his spare time. When I attended the Windley school on Forest Rd., I used to walk doen Alfreton Rd, onto Peveril St, on the way home. This was a very long time ago, 1951-1955. 

1 hour ago, OLDIE said:

The newsagents were on the corner. Up Peveril St was the John Beales Hosiery factory where my mum worked. There was a pub up there, I think it was The Marquis Of Lorne. 

Marquis of Lorne was on Salisbury Street; there's a thread about it here (including a photo)   https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/12440-marquis-of-lorne/#comment-238943

Saw this thread and thought - Wow I is an expert on said place in the 1950's. Then realised it was Peveril Street. The one I knew was Peveril Drive, which ran up the side of the Castle Rock into the Park Estate. From 1953 through to 1958 I traversed it every day delivering newspapers. My round started at the white gates that delineated the start of the Estate up to Park Drive and then circling around to the steps that went up to the Rope Walk and then back down to Peveril Drive.

Used to love my paper round. Coming from a scruffy tenement house in the Medders and each day getting to cycle around beautiful large houses, huge gardens with well kept trees and flower beds. Magic. The gardeners used to burn pile of leaves in Autumn, the smell was gorgeous, and always knew Winter was near.  Used to be beautiful in Winter when we had snow. It was always pristine white up the Park. Many of my nicest memories of Nottingham were of delivering papers up the Park Estate.

Alison

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Marquis of Lorne was on Salisbury Street; there's a thread about it here (including a photo)   https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/12440-marquis-of-lorne/#comment-238943

I well remember Peveril St. I lived on Gadd St, and as it was a"dead end" had to go down to Southey St, and then along Lake St. The newsagents were on the corner. Up Peveril St was the John Beales Hosiery factory where my mum worked. There was a pub up there, I think it was The Marquis Of Lorne. The camera shop was a favourite of one guy from the factory, a keen photographer who did weddings etc in his spare time. When I attended the Windley school on Forest Rd., I used to walk doen Alfreton Rd, onto Peveril St, on the way home. This was a very long time ago, 1951-1955. 

Yes, your'e right. It was the waterford, not lorne. Anyone remember Gadd St? There was a pub called the Forest Inn, I think, and just two shops. Handy for Goose Fair, Waterloo Prom, and of course The Forest. Up Southey St, a right steep hill, onto Forest Rd, I'm sure there was a place called Tennyson Hall. It was used, I think, by my old school, Windley School, for various activities. On Gadd St there was also a coal merchant, cannot remember the name. 

I remember Gadd street very well from the 70s. I was part of a team refurbing Waterloo Prom. They ended up very nice house's but I am afraid that didn't last long.

Gadd street is still there of course, just not the Gadd Street we knew, it's been completely rebuilt.

#60 the paper shop on the corner of Lake St was Parkers. The sweet shop on Peveril St was Godwards. Johnny Parker and Beryl Godward were in our gang. Weeks before bonfire night we would raid the Gadd St mob for their bonfire rubbish. All the streets were cobbled and no one had a car. Opposite to Godwards sweet shop there was an air raid shelter with derelict houses behind.

There were a lot of derelict properties in the 40's. All of the Aspley Place area behind the Alma was derelict as was two shops on Alfreton Rd below the Koinor. The shops backed on to Peveril St. Me and two lads from Ortzen St., broke into one and found a cellar with some coal in it. It was a very cold winters day so we took some coal upstairs and using stripped wallpaper and laths built a fire in the middle of the floor. A WOODEN FLOOR! Bleddy hell! It really got going fast and we could not get to the shop front to escape. We could not break out of the back door either, so went upstairs and climbed out of a window on to a sloping roof and short drainpipe to escape. I was sh.. scared and caught a 43 trolley bus 'to run away to Trent Bridge'. The bus was just passing the smoking shop as the Fire Brigade was turning up. At Trent Bridge I realised that there was nowhere to go so went back home and passed the now steaming/smoking property and the fire brigade were rolling up a hose. Fortunately Mam was not in so I washed the grime off and went to bed. I should have been in bed anyway because I had chicken pox. That teatime a copper came to the door saying that I had set fire to a shop. Mam did'nt believe him and got me downstairs in my pyjamas to show the copper my chicken pox spots. Heard no more. Mam knew I had done it though, because the two lads from Ortzen ST were sons of a close friend of hers.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

Someone who hasn't registered on Nottstalgia has posted this as a 'Report'.  That means it won't be seen unless I copy it into here.

I lived at 11-13, Peveril Street from about 1960-63, my mother managed the wine shop for J & J Grantham Ltd. I was a paper-boy for Parker's the Newsagents on the corner of Peveril Street and Lake Street, I think there was a hair-dressers on the opposite corner next door to Ingles Scientific Exchange. There was also the "Beales" factory on the left going up the street. I also recall the radio television shop on the corner of Bentinck Road and Southey Street, I think it was called "Radiovision" or something like, it was owned by the Wilkinson family.

I hope that might stir a few memories.

I know nothing more than what you see there. Maybe the person who posted it will now register, and post in a normal manner.

13 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Someone who hasn't registered on Nottstalgia has posted this as a 'Report'.  That means it won't be seen unless I copy it into here.

I lived at 11-13, Peveril Street from about 1960-63, my mother managed the wine shop for J & J Grantham Ltd. I was a paper-boy for Parker's the Newsagents on the corner of Peveril Street and Lake Street, I think there was a hair-dressers on the opposite corner next door to Ingles Scientific Exchange. There was also the "Beales" factory on the left going up the street. I also recall the radio television shop on the corner of Bentinck Road and Southey Street, I think it was called "Radiovision" or something like, it was owned by the Wilkinson family.

I hope that might stir a few memories.

I know nothing more than what you see there. Maybe the person who posted it will now register, and post in a normal manner.

Whoever it was must have moved into our house after we moved to Carlton. We lived at no 13 - above and behind the off licence then run by Bruce Roper.

• Like 4