Peveril Street

Sinclair was years ahead of his time, brilliant electronics engineer. His "Z" range microprocessors were many years of their time, he should have been a multi billionaire. Problem was the general public just wasn't ready for PC's back then.

He also should have stayed on track, he was involved in chip design, audio amplifier design, micro radio design and computer design, way too many innovations. He should have concentrated on one field only!!

His chips he designed, micro processors and audio chips, worlds apart!! Not a recipe for earning a fortune or getting the best product to market.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whoever it was must have moved into our house after we moved to Carlton. We lived at no 13 - above and behind the off licence then run by Bruce Roper.

Digging around randomly on the net, I found this. I've come to the conclusion it's a really good photo because it's so ordinary. Just an average day looking down Peveril Street.

Just found this topic and as you can imagine from my forum name I was brought up on Peveril St. No 13a, which was above/behind the off license and 3 doors below the original Scientific Exchange. We sh

Like all genuine eccentric geniuses, he wasn't quite in the same world as most ordinary people.

He could come up with some brilliant ideas, but he also couldn't see why some things weren't quite right........

sinclair.jpg

You can read about Sinclair HERE and although I agree he was brilliant, and he did invent the ZX81 computer, he did not design or produce any microprocessors. The Z80 processor used by Sinclair was produced by Zilog and was used in a number of early home computers (it was a variant of the 8080 architecture) including Radio Shack's TRS80.

• 2 months later...

Just come across the link below which gives a good insight into the Sinclair Micromatic and the dodgy transistors that were included in the kit.

It also says they are very collectable now and go for silly money on eBay. Hope you kept yours Limey!!

http://www.dustygizmos.com/tranny.htm

• 2 years later...

Happy New Year to all

As a newbie to this site I was very excited when I found this particular topic: 50's Nottingham - Peveril Street posted by Mister T Sept 11th 2009 At the start of Dec 2013 I, after having counselling , was able to access my adoption papers My birth mother was Agnes Eva Perkins, shopkeeper, 76 Peveril Street Her sister-in-law was Annie Godward who ran the shop in the 70's If there is anybody who has any memories of Peveril Street especially 1946-50 I would really greatly appreciate any replies

jac47uk

Told this before somewhere on here but heard a Mr Skill talking re his relation who started the firm, if you remember there was a big yard at the back of the shops with fuel pumps painted I think red and yellow? Any way his story went thus,The original Mr Skill sold fish, not sure if he had a shop or sold from his small lorry that he took to collect fish from the trains at Victoria Station, On his way to Derby where he sold such around the Beeston/Long Eaton area he'd see people WALKING to work at Chilwell Depot and British Celanese Spondon, he'd gave them a lift, and they'd give him a tip, before long he was making more out of the tips than selling the fish! so put proper seats (wooden benches) in the back of the lorry and so was born Skills Bus Company. I once saw a photo of a Skill's bus in the 1930's taking Nottm City Police Boxing Team inc so I'm told Captain Athelstan Popkess the chief constable (youngest ever) to a contest in Germany, looked very odd seeing it sign written with Skill's Nottingham etc driving down a road with dozens of nazi swastika banners hanging from the lamp stanards!

Back to Pevril Street, no one has mentioned the Bank on the corner of such and Alfreton Rd nor the back door of the Indian Restrauant , The Koh I Nor or have they?

• Upvote 1

There was a Skills fish & chip shop top of Denman Street.

It was on that visit of Chief Constable Athelstone Popkess to Germany that lead to him formulating Nottinghams war defences

Back to Pevril Street, no one has mentioned the Bank on the corner of such and Alfreton Rd nor the back door of the Indian Restrauant , The Koh I Nor or have they?

In a way it hasn't changed much. The Bank is the tall building in the middle; Skill's place is the white buildings on the right.

peveril.jpg

• 8 months later...

Just found this topic and as you can imagine from my forum name I was brought up on Peveril St. No 13a, which was above/behind the off license and 3 doors below the original Scientific Exchange. We shared the same back yard with the Ingles, who had a Great Dane that shat mountains in the yard. The off license owner Bruce ? bought half of our cellar and bricked it up to use as a store room. All the houses had cellars.

Street view shows the bedroom windows of this row of houses and the bay windows are exactly the same as in the 40's . Ours were the 2nd from the right almost opposite to Lake St. NSE started with one shop then extended into next door . They then bought the radio/TV shop (was it called Eddies) on the corner of Lake St. On the opposite corner of Lake St there was Parkers newsagents. Going down Peveril St there was then a greengrocers, Godwards sweet shop and then a Marsdens store run by Alan Oscroft, a well know cyclist.

In the 40's a tailors shop was next door to us and Mr Tetley could be seen sitting cross legged in the shop window, hand sewing suits!

Going up Peveril St from Lake St there was the Radio shop, a phopographers, an undertakers just before and entrance to a factory yard that joined up with Lake St. Then a cake shop. I don't remember what was in between the cake shop and Beales hosiery factory (where some of our family worked. I remember there being four hosiery factories on Peveril St. Above Beales factory there was a chippy and Hendersons barber shop then Skills Toy shop. I lived on Peveril St 1941/1956

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

If I'd have seen that, I'd have never bought anymore jeans there.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...